Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,030
cunninghams gap for brisbanites, as much dirt as possible?

occasionally doing a loop from brisbane out to cunninghams gap, each time we find a few more dirt bits to throw in and got it up to maybe 60% dirt now. i know the track through cunninghams gap has been closed to vehicles for years, does anyone know of a (legal) way through or around cunninghams gap?

its pretty scenic through the gap on tar but seem to always get stuck behind trucks and traffic all the way down and it gets tedious. be good to work in even more dirt road if possible. i've heard it whispered there are ways through the national park or goomburra state forest to the north, but figured they won't be legal if being whispered about.

uploaded the route we've developed so far on trans australia tracks under the name: "Brisbane Laidley Haldon Cunninghams Gap Rosewood".

a video of yesterday's trip:

Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Strummer
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,153
Beautiful camera work mr B! (as usual!).

GottagetadrgottagetadrgottagetadrgottagetadrorI'll gostarkravingf*ckinmad!!!!

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
does anyone know of a (legal) way through or around cunninghams gap?

i've heard it whispered there are ways through the national park or goomburra state forest to the north, but figured they won't be legal if being whispered about.

Well ....

the National trail runs kinda parallel with Cunninghams Gap but you'll get fined heavily if you risk it. As you climb Cunninghams Gap you'll notice the helicopter pads on your right hand side and if you look over to your left, you'll see a mailbox sitting out in the open just over the barb wire boundary fence. There is a bush gate there, that mailbox is for the National Trail riders on the National Trail. That particular bend on Cunninghams is called Fruit Salad Corner because thats where 99.9% of the trucks carrying produce to Brisvegas markets, roll over.
If you go down the hill from there, to the next bend, a sweeping right hander, you'll see a sign on your right which leads behind a cutting to take the National Trail riders back off the hi-way and on to the trail again. Its impossible to notice the sign when you are travelling up the hill because its in behind the cutting.
So the Trail stays on your left hand side as you travel up the hill and there are some particularly weird and nasty landowners in them parts. Not to mention the Rangers Station just before the servo over the top, he patrols the Gap on a constant basis because of the trouble those landowners backing on to his park, give him.

Spicers Gap is closed because parts of the top are actually paved in bricks and they are trying to conserve it. Its the same landowners and the same Ranger who are on the lookout for motorbikes, 4x4's etc. Spicers is on the left hand side of Cunninghams as you go up, remember ? It was also the ideal place to top ones self (Governers Chair) and they are now trying to prevent that, so they are on constant lookout.

Goomburra National park at the very end, at the very top, has a lookout. The culdesac where everyone parks their vehicle to walk to the lookout (400m) has a gate facing north which is locked. Its hidden in the undergrowth. This is the track over the mountain down to Aratula - Rosevale road. They did use to horse & cart up and down this hill but what condition it is now I'm not sure. I think it goes thru a womans (jenny logan) property at the bottom and she has no sense of humour at all.
Don't let the Rangers see you use that gate if you do attempt it and I would only run the gauntlet against Mrs logan, once. Remember that they are somewhere, if not on horseback, 24/7.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

cheers phil for the details. definitely sounds like a no go anywhere, we have no interest in providing target practice for land owners or getting around locked gates. i'd seen some of the bits you mentioned but saw the gates or signs etc.

satellite images showed a track through goomburra but it clearly looked like private property for much of its length. so looks like we'll just stick with the bitumen through there.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
cheers phil for the details. definitely sounds like a no go anywhere, we have no interest in providing target practice for land owners or getting around locked gates. i'd seen some of the bits you mentioned but saw the gates or signs etc.

satellite images showed a track through goomburra but it clearly looked like private property for much of its length. so looks like we'll just stick with the bitumen through there.

Your welcome.

I lived there for about 20 years, so's kinda got to know everybody. Believe me, some of those cattle farmers have a weird outlook on things and it wouldn't be improving, as they age.
Rosevale did use to have an Enduro event (along with horses) once a year. It was kinda big and I'm sure somebody on here posted about it last year. Not sure where it goes or what it crosses nowadays but it would be worth looking into.
You can get to Mulgowie from the Rosevale - Rosewood Rd over that range. Its very steep. Look on google maps for the track in between Mount Mort and Franklin Vale. It does actually show it on Hema Maps Motorcycle 3rd edition. Its a sign posted road but I can't remember the name of it now.
Its actually part of the National Trail too, but nobody gives a shit, well they didn't when I did it.
There's a good pub at Mulgowie and its a fun ride up the valley toward Thornton / Townson and you'll notice the National Trail runs off there to Woodbine

Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

sounds interesting! i thought it could be coyne rd and red gap rd here?

just to the south there's also hodges rd but it looks like it peters out to nothing, as does kings rd a bit further south again. be fun to go down and have a look in any case, we'll just u-turn the moment it looks like we are on private property etc. thanks again.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 462
so where exactly is this

http://nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main-r...mburra-map.pdf

and some interesting info here

http://nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main-r...-april2011.pdf

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
sounds interesting! i thought it could be coyne rd and red gap rd here?

just to the south there's also hodges rd but it looks like it peters out to nothing, as does kings rd a bit further south again. be fun to go down and have a look in any case, we'll just u-turn the moment it looks like we are on private property etc. thanks again.

So having a squizz at Google maps and it gives the correct terminology for the Aratula - Rosewood Rd as it changes at intersections heading north.

Leaving Rosevale Retreat Hotel and heading toward Rosewood on the Rosewood-Aratula Rd turn left at Mount Walker West Rd and follow to a left hand turn into Greys Plains Rd. This is dirt. Follow the dirt all the way along Greys Plains Rd to the T intersection, Albers Rd right and Grandchester Mount Mort Rd left. Take the left along Grandchester Mount Mort Rd and the bitumen starts again and follow to Hodges Rd and turn left in to it.
So you did good, it is Hodges Rd.
There maybe a gate or two along Hodges Rd but they will be unlocked and it is safe to proceed. It may also be over grown but follow the track along and you will pass a couple of homesteads close by. When you 'go over' the range its very steep and rocky and there is the possibility of dropping a bike but its a bit of fun. You'll come out into a paddock and there will be another gate unlocked to get on to Mulgowie Rd. just find that gate, it will be the north one.
Turn left to go up the valley and the National Trail, turn right to find the hotel.

Have fun and I enjoy your vids !

Somewhere out there near Mulgowie pub is the electricity lines which head back toward Warrill View / Ipswich. The pub might help you find them, thou they are pretty big towers to miss. Apparently they are popular but Ive never done it.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

The first link shows the roads thru Main Range National Park Goomburra. The parking bay at the end shown on this map is where the locked gate is I described in my first reply. From that lookout you can see down to the Aratula - Rosevale Rd and you can also see Brisbane on a clear smokefree day.
Its a good ride in that park, the roads are all dirt except the steep sections which they have bitumened to stop the 4x4's damaging in the wet.
To get up to that lookout you'll notice that the road in the park forks, to which you follow the left one, WARNING, that water crossing can be deep, so watch a car go thru first.
The other road just goes to the camp ground and another walk and lookout.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

good one phil. we use those dirt roads already out from qld raceway but good to know it's hodges rd. might try and loop back along coyne rd when we recce out that way next. found the power line tracks too so will check those out as well.

woopwoop, that would be a great link to make if possible. gets very steep over the range and the satellite pics have no visible track at all (although there is one on the maps) so should be fun! i'll let you guys know how it goes next time we are out that way. all of this would make for a good morning ride out from brissie....
Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
The Mulgowie Pub was always fun. For a while we squatted in a small farm house with no power or running water just up from it when we were students at KinderGatton Ag college. They were great giving us credit until Austudy day and letting us fill up jerry cans of potable water. Thanks for ther reminder of good times, really need to get back out there one day for a look.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
breil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Good footage

Quote:
occasionally doing a loop from brisbane out to cunninghams gap, each time we find a few more dirt bits to throw in and got it up to maybe 60% dirt now. i know the track through cunninghams gap has been closed to vehicles for years, does anyone know of a (legal) way through or around cunninghams gap?

its pretty scenic through the gap on tar but seem to always get stuck behind trucks and traffic all the way down and it gets tedious. be good to work in even more dirt road if possible. i've heard it whispered there are ways through the national park or goomburra state forest to the north, but figured they won't be legal if being whispered about.

uploaded the route we've developed so far on trans australia tracks under the name: "Brisbane Laidley Haldon Cunninghams Gap Rosewood".

It is good to see there still is some good dirt close to Bris
breil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

yep, we usually do sturmer rd from the mt crosby weir, a great dirt road where you feel hours out from the city already. nice way to get down to ripley rd...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 239
Quote:

Looked great!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
B1 thanks for the tip on sturmer rd. it looks good. I poked around looking for roads around there but didn't, know about that one. I will be keen to see how you go with the track over the range. It could make a good loop with head road when open again.