Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #46
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I was wearing Columbia hiking shoes. They are in no way a riding boot but I think if I was wearing something that braced my leg my knee might have been blown out. I was real lucky it wasn't worse.

The multitec sure did it's job. I will most likely replace it with another.
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're doing better and have such a great attitude. That goes a very long way toward healing quickly. I live in rural Virginia and we have loads of sketchy drivers around here too, so I pay all kinds of extra to insure myself against them as well. The State tries to mandate insurance for every driver, but lots of folks have figured a way to stay off the radar. Bastards. Anyway, make sure the insurance adjuster takes a look at EVERYTHING - bike and gear should be covered, as well as medical costs and loss of income, etc. Hopefully you have good coverage.

As stated earlier, I've lost a lot of respect for a large % of my fellow humans and here's another story explaining that sad truth. I don't have a lot of faith in the local police and sheriff either (personal experience), but our volunteer fire and medic crews are World class. Sounds like you had a similar experience.

Heal well, I'm interested to see what finally happens to the scumbag that hit you. BTW, your wife sounds like a "keeper" .

Doug
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
I had the realization today that I live in a pretty small town. I am out and about quite a bit and this was a young guy. We are going to come face to face once of these days.

My wife is definitely a keeper. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #48
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,917
Quote:
They took it out? Stupid question but does this thing come back out of me? I've no one better to ask at this time of day. Lol
yep. 1 year later, to be on the safe side since I was not healing at all for one year prior. piece of cake. it was strange walking after a day after they put in the rod. They say it could stay in but since I was young (27) it is better to have it out. I saved it! I lost one of the screws over the years but it is pretty a amazing memory.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #49
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
Glad you posted,we all need to know that this happens and when you start racking up the miles it is easy to forget how venerable we are.I hope everything goes well for you and you heal fast!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #50
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

The accident scene.

Apparently most of the damage is here.

I'm holding up good. I quit my pain meds on Thursday and while there are ups and downs I am managing. I did drink a few beers with some friends last night. It felt good feeling normal for a little while.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #51
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Had to take a percosec this morning and I'm planning on taking another soon. I've never been hurt like this before and I'm not cut out for it. lol

The officer in charge of the investigation has been on vacation all week and just got back today. I hope he is refreshed and ready to get to work.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
I had the realization today that I live in a pretty small town. I am out and about quite a bit and this was a young guy. We are going to come face to face once of these days.

My wife is definitely a keeper. :)
I hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A guy like that probably lives under a rock back in the deep stix. I lived in a small town in Wyoming (about 7,500 people) and divorced my not-a-keeper wife with whom I had two kids. I talked to her on the phone now and again baout the kids, but amazingly in the ~9 years I lived in that town after the divorce I saw her around town maybe five times. Perhaps I was subconsciously avoiding her, I don't know... When I decided to move to Virginia the kids told her what was going on (they were both out of college and on their own by then) she called and said she'd like to see me one more time before I moved away. I declined, I'd had enough of her company for a lifetime 9 years earlier.

Point is, I hope the damned cops will do their jobs and find this asshole for you and you don't have to hope you just run into him some day. Personally, I think you've had enough of an encounter with the jerk already, hopefully next time you see him will be in court. So, what if you had been killed? Do you think the cops would just shrug and drop it? Yeah maybe you live in a rural area/small town, but hitting someone with a motor vehicle and driving away is a ferking crime EVERYWHERE to my knowledge.

My son broke his femur about four inches below the hip when he was in college (he still won't confess how this happened...) and got a titanium rod put in and it's still there. He's a pilot and the metal detectors in the airports don't even pick it up. My brother got hit by a car and broke the shite out of his tibia, had a rod put in, and it has stayed for many years. He says the only thing he really notices is that the leg with the rod in it gets cold faster than the other leg.

Glad you're healing and feeling better! Maybe get your Mom and wife to go kick the well-rested cop in the ass and get him on this case.

Doug
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #53
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,097
Ouch. That is a clear passing-resricted area. Are those skid marks from his vehicle? You can clearly see where he impacted you.

Pisser that the cops are foot-dragging. They need to have a fire lit under them.

I nearly got my ticket punched yesterday. There is one road where a traffic sign is too low and too close to the edge of the pavement and I thought I could see around it and I pulled out in front of an oncoming. Nearest miss I've had in decades. Whew.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:33 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #54
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,917
Quote:
Had to take a percosec this morning and I'm planning on taking another soon. I've never been hurt like this before and I'm not cut out for it. lol
yep, it is NOT fun. I had some damage to my ankle which they never could find and it KILLS me to this day. That was '89.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #55
Storyteller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Drive away cager = Richard Cranium!

Hope all continues to go well with you!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #56
Desce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Filing a false police report is a serious crime.

Time to see the chief, and also if you live in the town, call the mayor. If that does not work, call the paper.

Rod
+1 . I would call the paper for sure. Sometimes bad press is the only way to get results. Speedy and healthy recovery!
Desce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #57
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

It was in my local paper the next day on the front page.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #58
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
It was in my local paper the next day on the front page.
The story of you getting hit is in the paper. A story about the local police dragging their feet isn't.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #59
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
Don't worry too much about the pain right now. I broke my femur on a bike, had the rod put in, had the rod taken out 14 months later and I am still riding fine. It took me a while (4-6 months) to get back to hundred percent but that was more because they did my surgeries through my knee. Which I am assuming they did for you also. Rehab properly and you'll as good as new. Now, I'm running 5ks and doing whatever I want. I'm just glad you are okay and nothing worse than a couple of broken bones.

Be safe.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #60
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Sorry for asking, but you said you noticed that your leg had gone rag doll - did the adrenaline completely nullify the pain? I've never had an injury like this. It's baffling to imagine.
Glad you're healing in high spirits.