User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
2012/13 KTM 690 Enduro R parts question

I just picked up a 2013 Enduro R. One of the first things I noticed was that there was no place on the bike to store anything (no toolkit, no documents, nothin...) So I figured I may get a carrier mount, no problem...

Well, the second thing I noticed was that the bike came with a set of passenger grab handles (not installed) and I was looking for a place to install them. All the pics I have seen show the grab handles on top of the tail. However, in the 2012 and 2013 Enduro I do not see a space on top of the tail to mount these things...

That led me to wonder about the actual separate carrier plate. Where would that thing mount? Can anyone provide some insight? All the pics of the carrier plates I am seeing look like they would mount on top of the tail, I believe that maybe the 2010 model had a place for mounts on top of the tail... this doesnt appear to be the case with 12/13.

Help! Thanks.
rmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
I just picked up a 2013 Enduro R. One of the first things I noticed was that there was no place on the bike to store anything (no toolkit, no documents, nothin...) So I figured I may get a carrier mount, no problem...

Well, the second thing I noticed was that the bike came with a set of passenger grab handles (not installed) and I was looking for a place to install them. All the pics I have seen show the grab handles on top of the tail. However, in the 2012 and 2013 Enduro I do not see a space on top of the tail to mount these things...

That led me to wonder about the actual separate carrier plate. Where would that thing mount? Can anyone provide some insight? All the pics of the carrier plates I am seeing look like they would mount on top of the tail, I believe that maybe the 2010 model had a place for mounts on top of the tail... this doesnt appear to be the case with 12/13.

Help! Thanks.
Remove the rear fender. then you need to drill the ( marked holes ) on the under side of the fender. Then you will need to buy the rear tail bag with the mounting bars and plate Then unbolt the tail light bracket ,Replace the short bolts with the longer bolts that came with the Rear bag mounts thru the grab rails.

I have a used mount and rear bag I would (sell or trade )
Have fun with you 690 !!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

gotcha. so I assume those holes that need to be drilled are the same that would be used for the hand grabs then?

what would you be looking to get for the mount/bag?

thanks for the info!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143

Check out "Rally Raid" products. They have a real nice rear rack and a tool box for the 690. The stuff is spendy but nice. I want the tool box but having a hard time pulling the trigger for it. I went with the rear rack and glad I did !
Those stock plastic POS grab handles are a disgrace to KTM`s engineering.

Have fun on the 690----I love mine

Oh---be fair warned the kick stand safety switch will leave you stranded ! It uses a magnet mounted to a phony little plastic bracket that is exposed under the bike and vulnerable to rocks. This can be bypassed -------

Sliverpicker screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 12:51 PM
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
gotcha. so I assume those holes that need to be drilled are the same that would be used for the hand grabs then?

what would you be looking to get for the mount/bag?

thanks for the info!
send me a PM
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Next parts question...

It seems to be very hard to find parts for the 2012/13 KTM. (or even the 11 for that matter) at some sites I have seen stuff for the 2010 and older. (would 2010 parts have basically the same fitment as the 2011/12/13?)

this is my first European bike. I guess I am just used to owning Jap bikes that literally have thousands of different vendors offering you fancy items to go on your bike...

where is the best place to go to shop for parts, that will allow me to feel sure about the fitment on my 2013?

thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Next parts question...

It seems to be very hard to find parts for the 2012/13 KTM. (or even the 11 for that matter) at some sites I have seen stuff for the 2010 and older. (would 2010 parts have basically the same fitment as the 2011/12/13?)

this is my first European bike. I guess I am just used to owning Jap bikes that literally have thousands of different vendors offering you fancy items to go on your bike...

where is the best place to go to shop for parts, that will allow me to feel sure about the fitment on my 2013?

thanks.
short answer is KTM. Databases have to be updated for every new model year, it takes time. That being said, 08-13 are nearly identical, with small differences like open ended oil filter, slight changes in a few pieces of bodywork, dash/instrument panel, suspension changes.... www.ktm-twins.com will have about the largest selection.
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
short answer is KTM. Databases have to be updated for every new model year, it takes time. That being said, 08-13 are nearly identical, with small differences like open ended oil filter, slight changes in a few pieces of bodywork, dash/instrument panel, suspension changes.... www.ktm-twins.com will have about the largest selection.
yea, I have been checking out KTMtwins, and their selection looked pretty good. I was only a bit weary because they didnt have a year selection for parts. But you answered my main question, if the style hasnt changed much since 08, then I should be good on most bits even if they are designed for the 10 model. that's what i really needed to know.

thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Question Oil filter 2013 690 Enduro R

600 mile oil filter & oil change last night. Small filter part # ends with 100 on KTM web site. Replaced with same #. The small filter I took out ended with part #101. Is there reason for concern???
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote