User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #151
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
I've replaced the belt on my Kymco at 11.250 miles.. the manual just
says "check every 4000 miles", no replacement mileage listed.

They usually last twice as much as the italian scoot belts, but also
cost twice as much so..

Just don't use Malossi Kevlar belts guys..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #152
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,643
I replaced the belt on my Sport City 250 at 11,500 miles. Some signs of wear and very small cracks. It probably had a few thousand miles left on it but the recommended interval is 12,500. The mechanic at the Aprilia dealer said that he did see a Sport City with a failed belt. It had around 18,000 miles on it. The BV350 has a lot more power but I would hope it has a larger belt as well.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #153
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Belt thoughts: A belt that snaps is a different event than a belt that's worn narrower-that simple. Cortez suggestion to avoid the Kevlar Italian belt is helpful info-thank you for something useful. FWIW, in comparison my Kawasawki Mule(a slow moving 17hp UTV with CVT drive and pulling a heavier machine/loads at real low revs) the belt looks new @ 300+ hours and has no narrowing or cracking. I priced the belts anyway & found prices for $38 to $140+ for the same belts all made by a couple of the common drive belt mfgs in USA. I wonder how "generic" is the BV350 belt? Perhaps the cost or quality is found in one of the "regular mfgs" parts lines? Worth looking.
My interest was simply how much trouble to change & if it was costly or short lived. Seems to be answered, thanks.
I've still yet to ride one or even sit on it. My larger question for now is my short legs as I have 29" inseam. Sure, I can "ride them all" but nice to back pedal in a lot or on the roadside to not take a flying leap as it falls. Simply leaning to one side or the other isn't a solution measure. I seriously doubt that you can lower the suspension much on a scoot like lowering lings and front tube sliding on a MC? Shaving the seat would seem to be it???
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #154
happywanderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Belt thoughts: A belt that snaps is a different event than a belt that's worn narrower-that simple. Cortez suggestion to avoid the Kevlar Italian belt is helpful info-thank you for something useful. FWIW, in comparison my Kawasawki Mule(a slow moving 17hp UTV with CVT drive and pulling a heavier machine/loads at real low revs) the belt looks new @ 300+ hours and has no narrowing or cracking. I priced the belts anyway & found prices for $38 to $140+ for the same belts all made by a couple of the common drive belt mfgs in USA. I wonder how "generic" is the BV350 belt? Perhaps the cost or quality is found in one of the "regular mfgs" parts lines? Worth looking.
My interest was simply how much trouble to change & if it was costly or short lived. Seems to be answered, thanks.
I've still yet to ride one or even sit on it. My larger question for now is my short legs as I have 29" inseam. Sure, I can "ride them all" but nice to back pedal in a lot or on the roadside to not take a flying leap as it falls. Simply leaning to one side or the other isn't a solution measure. I seriously doubt that you can lower the suspension much on a scoot like lowering lings and front tube sliding on a MC? Shaving the seat would seem to be it???
It does have a 31in seat height. So at a stop light you'd likely have to lean to one side a bit or at least not be able to flat foot it. For backing up - it is so lightweight, you can move it around off the scooter OR back up while standing up (i.e. not sitting down but astride the scooter). Very easy to maneuver. I wouldn't want to lower it at all. Don't know if you could.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #155
happywanderer
Adventurer

Question for those changing oil

Manual recommends eni i-Ride scooter 15W-50 ... any synth 15W-50 will work I'm assuming. ... Not to make this on oil thread - don't want to get flamed. just want to make sure the eni i-Ride crap doesn't have 'magical additives' or what not.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #156
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
On the "maneuvering while stopped idea", is what your saying that the rider can simply stand up while crowding forward toward the handlebars & walk the scoot back & forth? Thanks!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #157
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywanderer View Post
Manual recommends eni i-Ride scooter 15W-50 ... any synth 15W-50 will work I'm assuming. ... Not to make this on oil thread - don't want to get flamed. just want to make sure the eni i-Ride crap doesn't have 'magical additives' or what not.
Manual recommends the oil that the Piaggio got paid to advertise at
that moment and for that market.

The viscosity is chosen with regard to operating temperatures for
your part of the world, so, unless there is a big chart in the manual
depicting that, forget oil type was even mentioned and talk with your
local shop about it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #158
happywanderer
Adventurer

Thanks Cortez - just never heard of the oil that was recommended. Wanted to make sure I can dump in pretty much any modern motorcycle oil. I'll likely go with mobil 1 15w50. I tend to like thicker oils and the temps here don't get too hot. Maybe a 15w40.

Anyway.

to Kantuckid - yep - just stand up and walk it about. Or hop off and move it around standing beside the bike ... er... scooter.