Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by QED View Post

I heard it was so your cap wouldn't take you nuts off if it pops open in a crash when you go over the top.
Ow. lol, after reading that I want to leave it the way it is. Kidding.

I've never thought about the mounting point of the cap before this thread. I don't even remember how the cap flap went on the Versys. It isn't too big a deal get the douchenozzle between the flap and bars. My problem has always been with the foreskin nozzles (thank you for that term) and the way that the cap is made, with it's sealing protrusion. They can be a pain the situate together sometimes. Now I wonder if it's just because I cant see the interference point because of the direction of the cap. Either way I don't lose sleep if it takes 3 seconds longer to fill up, but I guess it would be nicer if it was convenient.

No matter what I don't think I've ever dismounted to fill up, but that's just cause I'm lazy. The aftermarket has solutions, but I want it keyed, and I don't want another key, and I don't think they'll use the beemer's fucked up key.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,307
Thx MrMike! Timely post. I was filling up yesterday and cursing the lid again! Fed up.
10 minute mod.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
minidisco
When are we going?

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
You then take the two little screws out of the black plastic piece on the left (little screws are already out in photo). Then the cap just slides free of the ring. Put the ring back in. Just leave the black part out and the cap will just slide forward a little and come right out when your filling up.
Just so I get this straight: with your version of the mod - and the removal of the plastic black bracket that hinges the cap, the cap now "locks in" when pressed, unlocks with the key - and then IS REMOVABLE AND LOOSE until "locked down" again..? Hmmm...... not sure if I'm a fan of having it potentially drop into sand and gravel whenever I fill up and my hands are full.......

But thanks for posting your mod version.
minidisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 785
Your correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidisco View Post
Just so I get this straight: with your version of the mod - and the removal of the plastic black bracket that hinges the cap, the cap now "locks in" when pressed, unlocks with the key - and then IS REMOVABLE AND LOOSE until "locked down" again..? Hmmm...... not sure if I'm a fan of having it potentially drop into sand and gravel whenever I fill up and my hands are full.......

But thanks for posting your mod version.
Agreed that it may not be for everyone but we here in Calif have to deal with the vapor recovery stuff so having the cap completely out of the way works for me. I've yet to drop the cap and I haven't traveled to a place where I've refueled in the dirt. So those are not big problems for me. People can try it......if it works great........if not it can go right back to the way it came.
Sorry I didn't have anything useful to add about the question of turning it around.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Agree - I've had my GS for two weeks, and after last weekend's four-day, 1200 mile ride mostly in CA but also in NV, I am really done with the tank cap set up on this bike. This mod will work great.

As for worrying about dropping the thing - hasn't happened on other bikes where the cap comes off. And anyways, I don't typically fuel up sitting in gravel or sand (ok, maybe that'll come up as I get this GS thing working the way it was designed...). Anyway, you could always just leave the key in when you open it - then you have a nice handle to hold your cap with...
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
The gasket on my cap is now 18 years old and the dealer says it only comes with the cap. Anyone find a replacement other than making one?

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post
I had one of these billet caps on my old GS, and it worked fantastic! No hinge at all, and it makes filling up easy even with those damn foreskin fuel pumps.

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...cap-p-219.html
Nice looking part - and only $50 (I was expecting at least double that)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #23
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
It's a 10 minuet job to make the cap removable. It makes it really easy to fill up.
Stuff a rag in the hole, remove the bolts that hold the ring, turn it over and remove the two screws that hold the black piece on, where the steel pin goes through the cap fill with some silicone so the pin won't fall out, reinstall the ring, then just slide in the cap and lock down. Now it just slides out when refilling so no chance to brake it off when filling up.
My friend was complaining about this on his '09 so when I got my '10 I told him I'd find a fix for it. I called him back in 15 minuets later and told him it was fixed. It works great with my tank bag ring. Much easier to fill with the fillers here in Ca.
+1

I did this mod a year ago and it's one of the best ones yet. We have those stupid fillers here in AZ, too and this makes it so much easier. It also makes it much easier to fill up the tank to the very top because you can see in there much better.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote