Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #61
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
BMW had to use the word suggested because some dumb ass; probably one of the idiots fretting over this thread would run their bike bone dry rather than using a 10w if 5w wasn't available where they are. The whole discussion is ridiculous. They recommend 5w. What's the big fucking deal.
you would not be any fun on any kind of ride... unless your company likes sarcasm and dullards!

geeesh, if you can not add anything positive......
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
After four pages we have still not settled the following:

On the wethead, cay an owner safely use
  • 10w-40?
  • 15w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
  • 20w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
The only reasonable answer, so far, is "No on all accounts, because the manual says 5W-40".

All other answers must be qualified!

If we're unable to settle this now, just imagine the number of oil-threads we will have
the coming years

[TaSK]
You are a sad, confused man. You purchased a BMW. What oil you feel would be suggested or recommended is moot. BMW knows that the only correct course of action is for you to take your BMW to the dealer when you need an oil change. Anything else is sacrilege and you sir, have no reason to need the info you seek, your dealer will handle that for you.

The search function is your friend.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #63
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

The answer is so simple those two words LISTEN TO ME

ROYAL PURPLE
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #64
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
I think I've actually found the perfect combo. Didn't want to post it until I was sure but after 20,000 miles I can say it works. So I took two quarts of Land-O-Lakes butter, three strips of bacon and a spoon full of Crisco. Been watching the sight window closely and I think I've found the 50,000 mile formula. Great bonus is my exhaust smells like breakfast.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #65
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Great bonus is my exhaust smells like breakfast.

What a coincidence! I've been told my breakfast smells like exhaust.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #66
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
BMW has suggested 5W40 or 5W50, meeting other standards of the day, as supplied by their partner in lubricant provision, with or without "BMW" on the bottle, for at least 20 years. They have also published charts, which changed only slightly from year-to-year or market-to-market, showing everything from 5W30 to 20W50 as being appropriate under different ambient temperatures. I see no reason why such charts should be any less valid than before, as BMW's recommendation essentially hasn't changed.

Note that I do not have a brand new 20K BMW motorcycle in the garage so have nothing to lose by my assertion.

Secondly, I fully expect there are dozens reading this who can barely contain their urge to dispute my opinion. I don't care. In my opinion, you are all wrong - no matter how vehemently you state your case (or not)

Finally, I don't suppose it really matters to the bike, which will continue to run just fine, wear slowly and do all that is expected of it regardless of whether the lubricant in the engine comes from bottle A or bottle B, just as long as it continues to circulate around.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #67
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I see no reason why such charts should be any less valid than before, as BMW's recommendation essentially hasn't changed.
The engine has changed quite a bit lately. The question in this thread is if the old charts can / should be used on the new engine.

The answer, it seems, is no.

I have spoken to a very fine gentleman, who in addition to being well informed, also has a file of interesting papers.
In those papers there is no trace what so ever of a chart like the ones we have become accustomed to.
Furthermore, there is no trace what so ever of the word "mineral" in the context of the new wethead.

After reading what he showed me, and until provided with anything substantial, the GSpot FAQ will offer the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpot FAQ
The wethead, as opposed to the airhead, oilhead, hexhead and camhead where there is considerable leeway,
uses only 5w-40 synthetic API SL / JASO MA2.
Note that, again as opposed to the older models, there is no temperature chart.
Thank you, Sir, for providing me with this information.
To all Honourable ADVriders having spent their time reading and suggesting: Time to ride.

Thank you for supporting the GSpot FAQ!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #68
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
The engine has changed quite a bit lately. The question in this thread is if the old charts can / should be used on the new engine.

The answer, it seems, is no.

I have spoken to a very fine gentleman, who in addition to being well informed, also has a file of interesting papers.
In those papers there is no trace what so ever of a chart like the ones we have become accustomed to.
Furthermore, there is no trace what so ever of the word "mineral" in the context of the new wethead.

After reading what he showed me, and until provided with anything substantial, the GSpot FAQ will offer the following:

Thank you, Sir, for providing me with this information.
To all Honourable ADVriders having spent their time reading and suggesting: Time to ride.

Thank you for supporting the GSpot FAQ!

[TaSK]
IMO, that covers it and supports the original intentions of the GSport FAQ topic. If someone wants to vary from that spec or dispute it they can just open another oil thread and beat that dead horse a few more times .
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #69
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I agree with what you said. There is one thing that I hear quite often in these threads which triggers a rhetorical question, "how do you know it works well?" For that matter, how do you know that it isn't shortening the life of your engine by thousands of miles? snip.
Yes to all, when I said works well, I was thinking of how smooth the clutch worked without squeaking like it did with 10W40. Doesn't seem like much of a change, but early on with the wet clutch there were reports of dry plates when disassembling them. So I figured when BMW sent out a bulletin recommending the new 5W40 that might have been why.
As far as wearing out the engine, BMW oils are made by Spectro and have tested well in a couple BMWMOA oil tests for anti-wear anti-acid, and vis, etc. So it's as good as any of the others tested which don't wear any thing out.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
I am going to use Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40 unless someone talks me out of it. $20 a gallon at Wally World. It is JASO MA and I suspect also qualifies for JASO MA2 but hasn't been certified. I run it in my K1600GT with no issues and the K1600 has the exact oil spec as the wethead.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote