User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Bumpaman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Anakee 3's

Anybody out there running the new Michelin Anakee 3 tires. Time for a tire change on my 2010 GSA and was wondering about these new kids on the block. Any good on gravel and forest roads? I am just curious. Thanks
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 249
I'm running A3's on a 2010 GSA. I just returned from 4 days of riding in the tri-state mountains of Gerorgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. I have zero chicken strips left on the front or rear. My past tires include Torrance EXP, Torrance x 2, and Anakee 2's. I'm a very aggressive pavement rider and love to throw the GSA around on the twisty stuff. I rode a full day in the rain during the 4 day ride. Previously, I thought the A2's were the best of the bunch overall, better bang for the buck. However, so far, the A3's provide a better feel when dropping into a switchback and really challenging the tire. On the open road, a little quieter, in the rain I had no problems riding a normal speed in the mountains. I can't say anything about gravel or fire lanes, but wouldn't expect too much from the tire. It appears more pavement focused.

r//Chuck
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,294

The local shop is out of anakee 2's-

I have an appointment to get the 3's spooned on next week. I was "assured" they are at least the equal of the 2's off road, something about both compound and tread. I am skeptical (by nature) but will see...they DO look pavement oriented.

Per the sales guy, the company "partnered" with BMW in development

I did get serious cupping on the front with the anakee2 s- otherwise loved teh tire
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
riding the A3's on the new LC as well.
coming from a trackbike and ditto riding style I can say the A3's are holding up pretty well in corners
Only when exiting very hard on sharp turns in Second gear, the rear tends to search a little bit for grip.

took it in Enduro mode on some loose gavel roads, and the grip drops immediately to nearly 10% in compare to road surface. Instantly going sideways on the rear tire, and abs kicking a soon as you brake...
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Did everyone get bad cupping on the Anakee fronts? I did on every one I installed on my 08 GSA, despite trying different tire pressures. Just the wear characteristics of that tread design on this bike...

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,119
I have 1.5k miles or mixed riding on the a3's, I don't think I have to add anything to what has been said on road about them, off road however I was skeptical at 1st and now im disappointed, with the bike upright it grips ok but once you ever tip the bike so slightly to transition between turns tractions just falls off the deep end, my front end just wants to wash out unexpectedly and forget about using the throttle to make the rear come around the turn, its either traction on or no tractions and it kicks off rather violently....off road they feel no different that the street only pilot road 3's
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I have a A3 on the rear only and so far it is great on road . But I am hearing a high pitch winey sound now . Anyone else hear it on A3 @ 40 -50 mph ?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
BigShow
Scallywag/Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
So far I like them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

The local shop is out of anakee 2's-

I have an appointment to get the 3's spooned on next week. I was "assured" they are at least the equal of the 2's off road, something about both compound and tread. I am skeptical (by nature) but will see...they DO look pavement oriented.

Per the sales guy, the company "partnered" with BMW in development

I did get serious cupping on the front with the anakee2 s- otherwise loved teh tire
Did a ride out the pony express and they did OK on the flats with marble size rocks. Took the air down to 28psi and they seemed to hold better than fully inflated. On the twisties I am scraping the center stand and every once in a while I think I am scraping the pegs, quite by accident though... The dealer in Murry sold them almost as cheap as I could have gotten them on line and then spooned them for $15 each... Not bad considering I did not have the time or tools to changed them out myself.

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
BigShow
Scallywag/Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
Did everyone get bad cupping on the Anakee fronts? I did on every one I installed on my 08 GSA, despite trying different tire pressures. Just the wear characteristics of that tread design on this bike...

Yeah, got one out back with major cupping and only after thaking it off did I notice how bad... Would have swapped out sooner if I had noticed.

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
a41capt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
A3 Noise

Yep, I'm running A3s front and rear and they're whiney on the pavement.

Also, hit a small bit of gravel during a turn on the blacktop and lost the front end momentarily. Figured I was on my way down when I grabbed some throttle, caught her, and pulled her out. I'm a big guy (6' 3" and 275 pounds), and keep 36 psi up front, maybe it's too much so I'll go down a couple pounds. That slip-n-slide at 35 mph was enough to put the fear of God in me.

Haven't been off road yet...

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!
a41capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Ducs2Dirt
Not quite all there

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMAC View Post
I have a A3 on the rear only and so far it is great on road . But I am hearing a high pitch winey sound now . Anyone else hear it on A3 @ 40 -50 mph ?
Same here. I get a high pitched road noise sound too. For me though it depends on a few things like speed, road surface type and angle of the bike. With certain combination of those three things, I get a slight whine from the tires.

Other than that, like everyone else said, really grippy and fun on dry streets. Pretty good in the rain. But throw them something simple like a gravel driveway and they become a joke. I had the rear come loose on a little sand even.
Ducs2Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Never, never! And I've been through truckloads of em! Part time road racer, I tend to give it plenty on the blacktop, and never a problem in that regard. Dodgy on the dirt but......looking at the 3s, I'd imagine they would be even way dodgier...but will be super groovy on the road.

( 2004 12GS)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
Bumpaman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thanks everyone. Suspicions confirmed. Ride safe
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post
Did a ride out the pony express and they did OK on the flats with marble size rocks. Took the air down to 28psi and they seemed to hold better than fully inflated. On the twisties I am scraping the center stand and every once in a while I think I am scraping the pegs, quite by accident though... The dealer in Murry sold them almost as cheap as I could have gotten them on line and then spooned them for $15 each... Not bad considering I did not have the time or tools to changed them out myself.
Thanks-
Thats where I'm headed later today-
I may opt for the 2's....
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
Yep every Anakee II I've run and I've ran quite a few. It also last through 2 rears. Just gets a little more noisy and a bit more vibs through the bars but seems to work well still.

Quote:
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote