ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1141
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
Hey!

Does anyone have experiences with Garmin Nuvi 2455 GPS? Any other possibly cheap options I should look at? I also looked at Nuvi 40, but I found out it doesn't support pre-made routs.

Thanks!
I am only new to this but I don't think the 2455 will do what you want either.In fact I think there is a post in this thread saying exactly that.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #1142
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Hey!

Does anyone have experiences with Garmin Nuvi 2455 GPS? I have found one on sale I am thinking of getting it. We already have a 2460LT at home but at the high cost, I don't want to use it on my motorcycle. Any other possibly cheap options I should look at? ride both on and off road (mostly fire roads) and would like to be able to make a route in Google earth and transfer it to GPS. I also looked at Nuvi 40, but I found out it doesn't support pre-made routs.

Thanks!
I use a Nuvi for road trips but wouldn't consider it for offroad or especially fire roads. This is what my Delorme PN-60 looks like one day into a four day dual sport ride...

Since it's waterproof, I can just hose it off or run it under the tap at night. It comes with Delorme Topo software that works well for planning rides and can easily import Google maps/earth files.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1143
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
To DeLorme or not to DeLorme?

I love my DeLorme GPS units... I have a PN-40 and a PN-60w with SPOT.

But...

Both units have failed repeatedly, and as always, at the worst possible times. I have contacted DeLorme a number of times and have asked over and over to have both units opened and checked out (at my expense), but getting them to agree to do this has not been successful.

I've gone through the TS procedures over and over, and the units continue to exhibit the same faults again and again.

The PN-40 turns on, and simply hangs at the splash screen. It won't respond to button presses, so I have to pull the batteries. After a few of these cycles, it'll proceed to the sat search page, and never do anything else.

The 60w simply shuts down randomly. When I re-power, it may or may not work again, and usually won't re-pair with the SPOT. Every thing gets shut down, and when it's all said and done, I lose 30 minutes of riding, and 30 miles down the road, it happens again...

I'm ready for a new unit, but want something that works the same way the DeLorme does, and with the same features.

DeLorme has a great mapping software package that includes maps of all of North America, which it includes with the unit, unlike Garmin. And, contrary to what most people say, the mapping software is easy and logical to use.

So, to Delorme or not to Delorme...

Anyone have advice or suggestions for a rugged GPS that doesn't cost a bunch to put decent maps on, and that includes good off highway routing, blah blah blah?

Help a brotha from anotha mutha out!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #1144
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I use a Nuvi for road trips but wouldn't consider it for offroad or especially fire roads. This is what my Delorme PN-60 looks like one day into a four day dual sport ride...

Since it's waterproof, I can just hose it off or run it under the tap at night. It comes with Delorme Topo software that works well for planning rides and can easily import Google maps/earth files.
Well I am on a tight budged and can't afford a motorcycle dedicated GPS. I already have a dust and splash proof bag for it. Just looking for a cheap GPS that I can transfer routes to it and has 4.3" screen.
MadM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #1145
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
I love my DeLorme GPS units... I have a PN-40 and a PN-60w with SPOT.

So, to Delorme or not to Delorme...

Anyone have advice or suggestions for a rugged GPS that doesn't cost a bunch to put decent maps on, and that includes good off highway routing, blah blah blah?

Help a brotha from anotha mutha out!
Sorry to hear that about your PNs, mine has been totally reliable. Are you using the fancy lithium batteries? Or just regular ones. I use the fancy ones but just bought a USB cigarette adapter and am going to try using that t power the GPS while on the bike.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #1146
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Well I am on a tight budged and can't afford a motorcycle dedicated GPS. I already have a dust and splash proof bag for it. Just looking for a cheap GPS that I can transfer routes to it and has 4.3" screen.
no, the 2455 won't work. i've used the 1450 and 1490 models for hundreds of rides now without issues (in a RAM waterproof case). check this thread.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #1147
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
no, the 2455 won't work. i've used the 1450 and 1490 models for hundreds of rides now without issues (in a RAM waterproof case). check this thread.
Thanks, I checked Ebay and found out that 1490t are even cheaper than 2455, si I guess we have a winner. Now I only need to find a good deal. Gps will be stored in a SW-Motech GPS bag which is splash proof so it should provide enough protection.

One more question, can you load topo maps on nuvi and use it to follow a track? I would assume you can only make a track out of a lot of waypoints?

Thanks again!
MadM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #1148
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Sorry to hear that about your PNs, mine has been totally reliable. Are you using the fancy lithium batteries? Or just regular ones. I use the fancy ones but just bought a USB cigarette adapter and am going to try using that t power the GPS while on the bike.
Bross,

It is a disappointment, though I've had the 40 for 5 years now, and the 60w for almost 3. Trouble began about 2 years ago with both on a long haul ride. It was a very "vibey" ride, enough so that I would stop for a clear view of the screen. The vibration during that ride may have damaged the units (PN-60w was the primary unit with the 40 as a back-up, which had to be used).

I have used the rechargeable batteries sold by Garmin, as well as lithium, nickle metal hydride, nicad and alkaline. Have settled with the NiMH primarily for the 15 minute recharge and good charge life when in the units. I also have both the external power adapter, and have used a USB adapter as well.

I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I bought a Nuvi 500 in August last year, and though it's an okay unit, I hesitate to update it because most people have said that once you do, you lose the topo maps and the update is not reversible. I've also not been able to import a route successfully, or export tracks, both of which are super important features for me, features that are very easy to do using the DeLorme equipment and software. I'd like to find a good tutorial/instructional for the Nuvi 500, but haven't had luck with that yet...

Am glad to hear though, that you've had good luck with your unit, and I hope it stays that way!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #1149
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
One more question, can you load topo maps on nuvi and use it to follow a track? I would assume you can only make a track out of a lot of waypoints? Thanks again!
all that sort of info in the link i mentioned. you'll love the five inch screen, so easy navigating on the run!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1150
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
Bross,

It is a disappointment, though I've had the 40 for 5 years now, and the 60w for almost 3. Trouble began about 2 years ago with both on a long haul ride. It was a very "vibey" ride, enough so that I would stop for a clear view of the screen. The vibration during that ride may have damaged the units (PN-60w was the primary unit with the 40 as a back-up, which had to be used).

I have used the rechargeable batteries sold by Garmin, as well as lithium, nickle metal hydride, nicad and alkaline. Have settled with the NiMH primarily for the 15 minute recharge and good charge life when in the units. I also have both the external power adapter, and have used a USB adapter as well.

I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I bought a Nuvi 500 in August last year, and though it's an okay unit, I hesitate to update it because most people have said that once you do, you lose the topo maps and the update is not reversible. I've also not been able to import a route successfully, or export tracks, both of which are super important features for me, features that are very easy to do using the DeLorme equipment and software. I'd like to find a good tutorial/instructional for the Nuvi 500, but haven't had luck with that yet...

Am glad to hear though, that you've had good luck with your unit, and I hope it stays that way!
I hear you about having to stop to read the gps. I can't read the screen on my PN-60 while riding so only gets looked at while stopped at intersections to see which way I need to go. I bought a mount for my Nuvi 3550 and tried it on my bike on the weekend. It was OK but the screen was hard to read in a lot of light situations, not just bright light from behind.

I have resisted paying the money for a Zumo but I think I may finally bite the bullet and try the new 350. Could be used for both on and off road and I'm getting better at using BaseCamp to plan rides. I can load gpx files into the 3550 but I wasn't impressed with the screen while riding, plus you have to stop and remove a glove to be able to run it so isn't very bike friendly that way either.

On our last dual sport ride a couple guys were using their (older) Zumos and both liked them and had no issues with loading tracks etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1151
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I'm using a Nuvi 1450LMT on the bike. Currently I am riding in the Big Money Rally and having a problem with one of the bonus packs.

The Rally Bonuses can be downloaded here:

http://bigmoneyrally.com/2013/?page_id=4582

And here:

http://bigmoneyrally.com/2013/?page_id=19454

I am using the GPX files and have no problem with the POI's from the initial bonus listing, but with the second listing I do not get a "GO" button when I look up any of the bonuses. It will pop up a box which will say something like distance 0.2 miles, speed 2.0 MPH and click here for more information.

Initially I could not navigate to any of the first set of bonus locations either, but was able to fix it by changing my proximity alarm setting. This did not fix the second set of bonuses.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I might fix it?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1152
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

i didn't have a look at any of the files, but i would suggest opening the files in mapsource or basecamp and just resave them then upload to the gps? there might just be something in the gpx file that's not working well.

also you can confirm it is an actual route they have drawn. sometimes people post up gpx files that are just a bunch of points you have to link up.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #1153
Bikerboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
looking for a Nuvi that accepts custom routes

Looking for a Nuvi with bluetooth capability that can accept custom routes (from Mapsource to GPS) . I know the new Nuvi's with the trip planner don't work properly .

I currently have the Nuvi 550 on my bike, but it lack's the bluetooth capability.
Any suggestions ?
Bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #1154
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
i didn't have a look at any of the files, but i would suggest opening the files in mapsource or basecamp and just resave them then upload to the gps? there might just be something in the gpx file that's not working well.

also you can confirm it is an actual route they have drawn. sometimes people post up gpx files that are just a bunch of points you have to link up.

Thanks, these are intended to be just points not routes. The Rally is over, so I will be deleting them soon.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #1155
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerboy View Post
Looking for a Nuvi with bluetooth capability that can accept custom routes (from Mapsource to GPS) . I know the new Nuvi's with the trip planner don't work properly .

I currently have the Nuvi 550 on my bike, but it lack's the bluetooth capability.
Any suggestions ?
nuvi 3700,s are supposed to work,i asked Garmin Australia why i couldnt see routes on my 2350

Question: Why cant I find the route I sent from MapSource or BaseCamp on my nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 300, 600, 1100, 1200, 1300, 2200, 2300, or 3700 series device?

Answer:

The nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 300, 600, 1100, 1200, or 1300 series do not support multiple stop routing. Although MapSource or BaseCamp will indicate that a route has been sent to the device successfully, these devices are unable to read the file since they do not support that feature. MapSource and BaseCamp can still be used to transfer maps and waypoints to the devices.

Although the nuvi 2200 and 2300 series do support multiple stop routing, they will not display routes sent from MapSource or BaseCamp. These devices use Trip Planner and do not currently have a way to import the transferred routes into Trip Planner.

The nuvi 3700 series will support multiple stop routing from MapSource or BaseCamp providing the device has software version 4.50 or newer. For information on how to update the unit's software, visit https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={8576ba20-e948-11dc-d6fc-000000000000}

Last modified on: 04/12/2012