ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
This might help.

I have a 2011 990 and love the bike but for a Saturday ride I felt like I was just putting wasted miles on her. The 990 wants to run all day, camp out and run all day on Sunday. The other thing about the 990 was I was constantly going places i shouldn't be which stole precious riding time while i got me and the bike back on the trail.

So what to do?

I was torn between the 500 and 690. Wasn't thrilled about the oil changes on the 500 but wanted to be able to go exploring where the 990 couldn't. I also didn't want to have to trailer the bike to the fun. So when the new KTM's arrived at the dealership I ran down there and sat on and pushed both the 500 and 690 around and even though the 690 is 50 LBS heavier then the 500 with my eyes closed I couldn't tell so I came home with the 690.

I still haven't got the break-in done but I have taken her to a couple of spots that me and the 990 were defeated and the 690 screamed through like it was on rails and this was before I played with the suspension.

A couple of things to know is the 690 doesn't have a centerstand and there's only a couple of choices both being in the $250+ range. The skidplate is plastic and there are two oil filters.

I was talking to a guy about this the other day and I told him if the 690 didn't feel like it would do what I wanted when I went and looked I would have passed on the 500 too and ordered the Christini 450 http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450-ds just something to think about.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
You've just got to maintain them, you can't go out and flog them like a borrowed bike and not expect to give it a once over every now and then. I know guys that rode Jap bikes back in high school that would check the oil once a year after riding every weekend. Can't do that with the KTM and not expect something to happen.
Not true for the 690 engine/models, especially after 2010.

The 690 engine is almost bullet proof and after "Motorrad" 's long-term test over 50000 km it had basically no wear. Better than many japanese 4 cylinder engines over the same distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
The 690 is a trail weapon that doubles as a great long distance machine with the right setup and parts - it has no equal. It's close to the smaller bikes in terms of being nimble in trails but far exceeds their capabilities on road. I used to load mine up with hard cases, a large waterproof duffle chock full of camping gear and I could still turn out 130kph on highways all day long (mind you, for those trips I used the renazco seat instead of the foam 2x4 stock seat).
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trials/Rider View Post
.....the 20012 & 13 they changed how they cast the engine case - making it lighter and stronger.
Never heard of any changes in the casting method on the 690 engine.

Oil changes = no brainer

The only thing I would eventually change on the 690 Enduro R is the gearing, which CAN be on the short side if you ride primarily on the street.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Number057
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I bought a 690 enduro R 2012 , it is a an excellent bike for the city , it is almost ilegal to have that much fun , plenty of power , very light (compared to a 990)all of my friends borrow it and they all came back with a smile ,good on gas , good brakes , In the down side , it is very basic , you have to hold on the steering or it will leave you on the way , I live 9000 ft above sea level and that thing will be on one tire 90 % of the time with out playing with the clutch, at sea leavel you have to lean forward because it will go in one tire unitll you hit 4 th gear on full throttle ,OEM exhaust is BBQ hot , OEM mirrors are a joke ,I had my tires change at 200kms for the sahara 3 and it is much better , with a companion is a pain on the a..s the seat is small (and I had the KTM gel seat from day one), but for one person it is a Blast! I hit 175 kms/h but it is very scary there is a lot vibration and the wind will make you helmet go against you!
Have Fun
There is no other Thumper motorcycle like this beast!
Number057 is offline   Reply With Quote