Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
TetherEd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Do Tourances Normally Suck on Pavement Traction?

So my road attacks needed to be replaced and the only tire my dealer had in stock were the Tourances. I asked what he thought of them and he responded "people like em." I was impatient and had a service appointment already so I said go ahead.

I ride a lot of fast twisties in the Nor Cal foothills and have been a fan of the Anakees, and Road Attacks granted they do burn up pretty quick (6-7K miles) with my weight and riding, 230lbs on a 1200GSA.

I have never felt uncomfortable on my motorcycle with dry pavement until I put these Tourances on. At first I thought perhaps it was just some additional feedback that I wasn't used to, but this weekend I had a couple of direct experiences that make me just not trust them.

I was riding a very familiar road yesterday, it was around 85F and I headed into a familiar turn, it does have some tar snakes but I have honestly never had an issue with those on any other tire even on much warmer days. I went into the turn and leaned it over and the front end slid like I have never experience. It felt like I had run into an pile of oiled gravel. Additionally, I had a couple of quick downhill downshifts that slid the rear tire enough to bring the back end out. NOT COOL!

Beyond that, the front end just feel really vague in turns and it seems like it steps off when leaning over. The only validating aspect of the tire I can see is that it seems to be quiet on slab and likely has much higher mileage capabilities.

Is this just the tradeoff for longer mileage tires? Am I just pushing this tire too much for the type of riding I like to do and my setup weight? I have played up and down with tire pressures and bringing the pressure down actually seemed to create more freakishness up front, I don't want to ride beyond 38F / 42F.

I hate to throw away tires with 1500 miles on them, but I am shaken after all the traction issues.

Anyone else experience this on these tires?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I wonder if they are Tourance EXP as they are the road orientated version and I find them superb riding hard on the road.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
My experience is just the opposite. I have never felt confidence on a bike like I get on a GSA with Tourance tires. Seriously. I have scraped the pegs and worn off the chicken strips. The track workers were astonished at the traction on these tires. Makes me wonder if you had something else going on.

cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
My experience is just the opposite.
Yep, Tourances work well in all road conditions
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 428
How long does it normally take to burn off the mold release agent on tourances? Maybe that caused some of it...

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,867
I love mine. I am able to drag the pegs at will. What pressure are you running on the tires?

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I agree with some of the above comments. Excellent traction with the Tourances. Better with the EXP's, but they don't last as long. The absolute best grip is an EXP up front and the standard on the rear. Don't believe what they say about mixing tire types.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Used both, like both

I've gone through about 10 sets of tires. I liked both of the brands you are referring to. I found the tourances last longer. I do prefer the Anakees handling, but no problems like your referring to.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
I agree with all the replies. Tourances are a great tire. EXPs as good or better but don't last very long.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Ditto to all the above, personally I love em'. I did have a rear end slide incident right after a new set was replaced. Where your new tires properly scrubbed in?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 979
Huh....I wasn't terribly impressed with the Tourances, and the rear tire life was awful (less than 5,000 miles). I was able to ride them really hard though without any weird handling traits. My wife and I rode the Million Dollar Highway with them (shortly before the rear's demise) at lose-your-license speeds and they never stepped out on me.

The handling was slightly better than the Anakee 2, paled in comparison with the PR3.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
If you aren't going offroad, then throw some Pilot Roads on there. Stickiest tire you can get for an adv bike, and very neutral feeling as well. Made my GSA loose 100lbs.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
I was going to start a new thread, but saw this one. Would hate to get a "do a search" answer.

So at 3975 miles on my GSA, my EXP Tourance seem pretty good. No issues as described by the OP. In my previous motorcycling life I rode sportbikes so I do like to "hussle along." These tires have never lacked in providing confidence in the corners and rainy roads...good riding form and tiny chicken strips...I'm happy with them. Tread depth looks good yet too, maybe I will see 6 to7k?

So I was wondering if anyone experiences road noise, though. Between 40 and 50 mph, I get a ton of tread noise. I noticed my pressures were a few psi low for the two up riding I was doing at the time so I pumped up to 36/42 and that helped...noticeably. the front tire is wearing a flat spot in the center....never have I experienced that.

Thinking I will try the tourance NEXT for the next set.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,612
I'd go 42/42 with two up.

I think the front on my 1200 with 'regular Tourance' seems a bit less confidence inspiring than it did on the 1150. Felt a front slip a time or two. It may be rider input . I'm finding it better to be loose on the bars and not counter steer so much, just let the bike do it's job.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I'd go 42/42 with two up.

I think the front on my 1200 with 'regular Tourance' seems a bit less confidence inspiring than it did on the 1150. Felt a front slip a time or two. It may be rider input . I'm finding it better to be loose on the bars and not counter steer so much, just let the bike do it's job.
42 sounds pretty high for the front. I believe if its too high, you would experience less traction. I'd like the front end to grip/conform to the road a little more. Recommended is 36/42 for two-up...

I am thinking the noise is simply due to the tread design. It is like a pickup-truck with all-terrain tires compared to street tires I guess.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote