User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #256
a41capt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
2005 GS fuel strip

I too have a 2005 and have been told that I won't have the same problem because they changed to the strip the next model year. Never had it apart to check, haven't had too so I guess they're right!

As far as I can determine, my fuel computer seems to know what it's talking about as far as when I hit reserve. I generally have right at 4 gallons to put in when the reserve warning comes on, the odometer says 44 miles, and I generally get between 42 and 44 miles per gallon, fuel mileage I find amazing when I consider how big of a fat@$$ the poor thing hauls around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teomannaskali View Post
I have a 2005 gs, and luckily i have not had the fuel strip fail yet. Thanks for the device info, now i know what to do if indeed it does fail.

I am curious on one thing though, what is the algorithm that tells me how many km i can do with the remaining fuel. Is it just a guess with a fixed consumption rate or does the ecu actually measure how much my consumption is and decide according to that?

Teoman

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!

a41capt screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 03:11 PM Reason: Added additional info
a41capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #257
a41capt
Adventurer

Frankenstein fuel strip fix

Well, we built one of the "tools" to fix the fuel strip in my buddies 2007 GSA, disconnected the battery, filled the gas tank, hooked it up to the Frankenstein high volt strip welder, and voila, he's now the proud owner of a working fuel gauge for the first time since he bought the bike!

Thanks to all you guys, especially Kr3w for his tool development. The local dealer wanted $400 to replace the strip with (probably) another faulty one, and we fixed it for the price of a barbecue lighter...

I'll make sure Dom does a follow-up to report on how long the repair lasts, but for the present, he has full use of his fuel computer! Thanks again guys.

Hmmmmm, the Overland Expo is happening right next door to us in a couple weeks, maybe we should set up a booth for all the GSs with bad fuel strips that'll be there (usually a bunch!), and charge 'em $50 each to fix their problems, donating the profits back to the ADV site... Less beer expenses of course!

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!

a41capt screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 01:07 PM Reason: Fixed a name issue
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #258
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 599
any ideas how long the fix will last?

Does it also work for the other failure, the one saying you have loads of gas, but you're empty?

The wire you "spliced" in...is this just for stiffness and ease of handling?

Are the #2 and #3 poles marked?

and big thanks, man. I'm on my third and BMW has been no help. 2009 r1200r
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #259
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I came up with this fix about 3 years ago using my meggar which is likely very similar to the outstanding idea of using a pizeo igniter. There are bikes I fixed with the meggar method that are still running on the strip I fixed, so in my experience this fix works longer then a new strip.

It won't fix the bikes that say they are full while empty as that is a problem unrelated to the strip.

If memory serves (haven't managed a BMW service department in two years) the terminals are marked.

Glad someone finally believed me that this fix works. There's about 3 pages of people arguing physics incorrectly before someone finally tried it lol.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #260
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
any ideas how long the fix will last?

Does it also work for the other failure, the one saying you have loads of gas, but you're empty?

The wire you "spliced" in...is this just for stiffness and ease of handling?

Are the #2 and #3 poles marked?

and big thanks, man. I'm on my third and BMW has been no help. 2009 r1200r
1. I've been wondering that.
2. No
3. Just need a wire(s) to reach the connector on the bike.
4. Don't know, but it is the middle two connection pins :).
5. BMW knows nothing Col. Klink.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #261
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
I came up with this fix about 3 years ago using my meggar which is likely very similar to the outstanding idea of using a pizeo igniter. There are bikes I fixed with the meggar method that are still running on the strip I fixed, so in my experience this fix works longer then a new strip.

snip
Supporting my thought that it is a faulty connection inside the epoxy block surrounding the connection of the wires to the strip...not the gas, BMW's usual "Vee don't haf that here!". And I checked a dozen of these bad strips which had perfect strips but the wires were disconnected somewhere in the epoxy looking block.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #262
vegasdesertdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Well after reading all about the Zapping with lighter fix, I tried it on my 07GSA that I bought with 7800 miles on it 1.5 years ago. It had the dreaded yellow low fuel light when I bought it and I lived with it for a year and a half and 15k miles. After Zapping it 5-6 times while holding my worry beads, crossing my fingers, petting my rabbits foot and holding my breath....the light was gone immediately and the gauge is a little wonky but seems not to far off. I have about 500 miles on it and good so far!
Total Cost..89cents
Feeling I get not looking at that blinking yellow light....Priceless!
Karma=Good
vegasdesertdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #263
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 599
this is somewhat related to the original topic, but damn! sure am happy some ingenuity arose outside of BMW!! I look forward to trying the fix when my thrid strip fails.
But in the meantime....

Fuel Strip Sensor Failure and how BMW Responds

I am not alone in suffering a fuel strip failure on my R1200R 2009. You know who you are; the failure is not subtle and can, as in my case, result in a crash with injury and property damage witnessed by my riding companion.
I bought my 2009 used from an owner of the nearest BMW Motorcycle dealership. It had just over 14k miles when purchased. During negotiations for purchase I specifically asked the seller if the bike had an issue ever with the fuel strip sensor.
He said no.

I asked, thinking as the owner of the dealership he could approve, if he could warrant the bike for a couple of months as a gesture of goodwill, since I have been using their dealership to service my 1150 for 6 years--on work I could not do myself.

He said "No, It's a Used Bike," I just fill up at 180 miles."
Within 3 weeks of purchase the fuel strip failed and I ran dry at 180.8 miles on the odometer. I called the dealer and asked if, since I asked about this issue, and now it's happened, could they help somehow with the repair costs? I truly would have been very satisfied with credit for the part or labor. His response, and since he is an owner I have to believe that this is the philosophy of the dealership, his response was "Tell him it's a used bike, No."

As Don points out " BMW has given them carte-blanche to replace the strips. No documentation needed," and "This REALLY depends on the dealer. One of those hidden secrets of BMW land."
This dealer emphatically said no. True, I was not the original owner, but he sold me the bike and had every convenience to do goodwill and repair it. He choose not to. He did not suggest writing BMW or calling corporate, just No, It's A Used Bike.

I paid $296 for the repair/replacement. That replacement lasted about six weeks then it was responsible for a crash when it failed. The dealership replaced it under warranty from the prev strip. I told them what happened. The owner was there, never spoke to me of the failure, preferred to drink saturday morning coffee with the other old flati that hang there on a Saturday morning.

On the r1200rforum.com forum a member who drove her 2013 roadster out of the dealership only to have the strip fail within 20 miles, encouraged everyone with a failure to report it to the NHTSA.
The efforts to encourage all of you with failures to fill out this simple form has been well documented on this as well as the advrider and bmwsporttouring forums. It is out there on BMWMOA.com also.

What I also did was contact BMW Customer Service reporting my failures as well as putting in links to the various threads around BMW centered forums that discussed the notorious repeated failures of this ill-designed and poorly performing essential component of the dasboard.

I think because I told them that a crash occurred because of this failed essential component, and that property damage also occurred I began to get calls from them. To at least two people I reported the sequence of events of the two failures. I also mentioned that I had a minor sprain to my wrist. They were very concerned about that. After a few calls, they offered to reimburse me for the replacement of the first fuel strip. As there were two failures and the second one with the crash and the sprained wrist damaged beyond repair my Cee Bailey screen and bracket, I asked for replacement of that also. They wanted receipts. I have them receipts. The total cost would be about $520.

Here is where BMW corporate stands behind their customers. Here is where BMWNA stands behind their product.

They deny payment for the windscreen

Hello Mr. XXXXXXXXX

I checked and I will not be able to get payment approved for the windscreen.

Please sign and Notarize the attached release for the fuel level sensor payment. Return this to my address below and I will have a check processed.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

And check out the "release"

GENERAL RELEASE

IN CONSIDERATION OF a one-time Goodwill payment in the amount of Two-Hundred-Ninety-Six and 28/100 ($296.28) Dollars, the receipt and sufficiency of such, which is hereby acknowledged, the undersigned releases and fully

discharges BMW of North America, LLC ("BMW NA"), BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE AG ("BMW AG") and each of their predecessors, successors, subsidiaries and affiliated entities, parents, partners, dealers, officers, directors, shareholders,

agents, servants, employees, representatives, attorneys, heirs, successors and assigns, past and present, and each of them (hereinafter collectively referred to as the "Releasees"), from any and all claims, demands and causes of action of

any and every kind and nature, including, without limitation, claims for fraud, negligent misrepresentation, non-disclosure, fraudulent misrepresentation, negligence, personal injuries, product liability, breach of express and implied

warranty, emotional distress, loss of use of the vehicle, property damages, attorneys fees, damages, costs and expenses, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, which the undersigned now owns or holds or at any time

heretofore
has owned or held against the others arising out of, resulting from, or in any way related to the all repairs up to the “Date” below in the undersigned's 2009 R 1200 R motorcycle, bearing vehicle identification number

WB1039801xxxxxxxxxx.

The undersigned recognizes that in executing this General Release that this instrument shall be effective as a bar to each and every action, claim, demand or cause of action released hereby.

No action taken by the Releasees, either previously or in connection with this General Release, shall be deemed or construed to be an admission of the truth, falsity, fault or liability of the matter pertaining to any action, claim,

demand, or cause of action referred to herein or relating to the subject matter of this General Release.

The undersigned will keep confidential the existence and terms of this General Release. The undersigned agrees not to reveal the facts leading up to, the terms or the conditions of this General Release in any communication form

including, but not limited to, word-of-mouth, print, broadcast or Internet.

By: _____________________________
John XXXXXXX
Date: __________________

State: __________________

Sworn to and subscribed to me
this day of , 20 .

"Of any and every kind and nature without limitation..."
Really? Anything at all it seems. No mention of a fuel strip, just a release of BMWNA its lawyers, officers, gardeners, crazy aunties and tropical fish from any responsibility for anything related to this bike. And for $296.

No thanks, BMW.
Is this the way to do business? Is this how all those loyal and repeat customers expect they will be treated after they come to the defense of fuel strips and final drives and clutch splines and switches and ABS that others have repeated and expensive problems with?

I hope potential first time BMW buyers see this

This is not your daddy's BMW.

I tell you, I feel sorry for the actual machines to have their reputed quality and reputation, their reliability, thrown under the bus like this. And by such corporate legalese?

Caveat Emptor

John
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #264
a41capt
Adventurer

"The undersigned will keep confidential the existence and terms of this General Release. The undersigned agrees not to reveal the facts leading up to, the terms or the conditions of this General Release in any communication form

including, but not limited to, word-of-mouth, print, broadcast or Internet.[/color]

By: _____________________________
John XXXXXXX
Date: __________________

State: __________________

Sworn to and subscribed to me
this day of , 20 .

WOW... Pretty damning evidence of their explicit knowledge of poor engineering and their decision to NOT address it.

Thanks for sharing, and maybe it is time for affected folks to go to the NHTSA!

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #265
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,136
Standard boilerplate. Both of you are over-reacting.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #266
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Standard boilerplate. Both of you are over-reacting.
You'll be fried for that comment

Hope to see you again soon!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #267
Lawmeister
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 22
Thumb Another satisfied customer!

I recently purchased an '08 R1200GS and to my dismay (it was purchased at auction in the USA, and imported into Canada) when I fired it up in my driveway, I had the dreaded fuel strip error.

I was initially told that a few tanks of gas through the system would reset it but that didn't happen, so I began my research into this issue and arrived here.

Following Kr3w's excellent and descriptive post (#253 in this thread if anyone else is looking for it) I picked up a $1.49 bbq lighter at Canadian Tire, did the mods to it and ended up clicking it a total of 6 times before..... SUCCESS!

I have not had it out on the road long enough to see how accurate the gauge or range calculations are and will make a subsequent post when I have that info.

CHEERS! to everyone that helped out with this solution. We shouldn't have to resort to this kind of (brilliant!) hacking on a premium motorcycle.

Pics of my version of the BBQ lighter (had to leave the butane container in to hold the piezoelectric component - yes I emptied it prior.... just in case) and the resulting #WIN.

The only things I would change on mine is to make the red lead a smaller gauge wire, make them both a couple inches longer, and replace both connectors with a female single pole vs female blade connector. (I had to replace the bullet receptacle as I couldn't get it to make good contact - but it was all I could scrounge up at the time ).

Lawmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #268
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3w View Post
Greetings!
I suffered the expected Fuel Level Sensor Strip failure last weekend, and after reading through this thread, I found inspiration for a fix.
I want to give a 'shout out' to JoelWisman, Old_Don, TXjames and jzeiler for their contributions--unknowingly--to me in this thread!
After reading Joel's fix using a megger and a picofarad capacitor to drop the high voltage (HV) across the broken strip, I was already thinking...piezoelectric component. We use them in aviation. So, I decided to use a very common one. A fireplace lighter. Below are the steps I took to construct the 'device'. I used common hardware found in aviation repairs, but you can substitute as needed.

This is the original fault, a bad fuel level sensor strip. Verified with a multi-meter showing an 'open' circuit between pins #2 & #3.

1. The very common fireplace lighter being disassembled. Slide the black cap forward (not shown) and remove the one screw. Note yellow arrows.

2. Splice in additional wire. I used 18 gauge wire and covered with heat shrink tubing.

3. I applied additional heat shrink tubing for added strength.

4. First yellow arrow is high voltage or self healing tape to insure a better fit. Second yellow arrow is reinstallation of the safety switch.

5. Slide the black cap back on and reinstall the screw.

6. I used some connector pins flatten out with a vice. You could use smaller automobile blade type connectors too. (check the fit before crimping to the wire)

7. Be sure to cover the pins with heat shrink tubing to prevent electrical arcing between the two pins.

8. The completed fuel level strip repair...err...device.

9. Gas tank almost full and battery disconnected. Install the 'device' between pins #2 and #3, order does not matter. Pull the trigger once and remove. Reconnect the fuel level strip connector and battery. (I always disconnect the battery when performing electrical work)

10. Success!! Result after using the 'device'. You must start the bike and let it cycle through the preprogramed 90 second fuel sample for the fault light to extinguish.
Congratulate yourself on saving $142.00 for this repair! Use the money saved by taking your mates out for a pint!
The 'device' can emit a small HV charge. Please use responsibly around children and small animals!
Sorry about the complete quote.. I normally dont do that.. but dam you are smarter than me
Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #269
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
Well I originally popped my fuel strip with a Piezo Lighter back in November last year and it has been working fine until Saturday morning when I was heading down to the Chicken Rally in Huntsville. I carry my "Zapper" with me always so when I got there I pulled the side cover off and gave her a few licks and she was good as new again. We will see how many times I can resurrect this strip before it totally gives up the ghost.
K4AN
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #270
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Well I originally popped my fuel strip with a Piezo Lighter back in November last year and it has been working fine until Saturday morning when I was heading down to the Chicken Rally in Huntsville. I carry my "Zapper" with me always so when I got there I pulled the side cover off and gave her a few licks and she was good as new again. We will see how many times I can resurrect this strip before it totally gives up the ghost.
Assume you'll be tracking miles between zaps, data is good. If enough people track this we may start seeing patterns.