ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #22681
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Question: Anyone using air-soft pellets to balance their tires?

I have been trying it for a while and it is working quite well. I did have to increase the weight to 4 oz in the front tire to get it to smooth out... 3oz may have worked. I started with two ounces, dropped a 2oz wheel weight, and about 80 there is a bit of a vibration. I was debating if I should go to 3oz and try again, or double it to 4oz to avoid the hassle of adding yet again.

I am pondering if too many beads will cause problems.... thoughts?
Air soft pellets seem like they would be too big and of too little density to do the job that Dyna Beads do. I just put Dyna Beads in and they are maybe .020" dia. at the largest, and probably made of ceramic. I've talked to someone who believes Dyna Beads are just ceramic bead-blasting media and found a 50 lb. bucket for about $200. If a bunch of us go in on a bucket, that's $4 a pound (about 4-8 tires worth), vs. about $80/lb. when sold as "Dyna Beads". I'm gonna PM the dude and see if he's looked into this further.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #22682
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
garage / driveway space to rent out?

Hey folks,

I need to do an engine swap on my truck and my driveway just isn't the place for it. Does anybody have garage (or even driveway space) that they want to make some money on for a month or so?

Thanks!

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #22683
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Anyone ever been to Taqueria Panchito on Midlothian? Was watching something on telemundo last night and kept seeing commercials for it. Checked out the menu and it looks awesome
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #22684
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Teeter,

Why would you need a month? Let's just do it!

Rctr
Jimmy
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #22685
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Air soft pellets seem like they would be too big and of too little density to do the job that Dyna Beads do. I just put Dyna Beads in and they are maybe .020" dia. at the largest, and probably made of ceramic. I've talked to someone who believes Dyna Beads are just ceramic bead-blasting media and found a 50 lb. bucket for about $200. If a bunch of us go in on a bucket, that's $4 a pound (about 4-8 tires worth), vs. about $80/lb. when sold as "Dyna Beads". I'm gonna PM the dude and see if he's looked into this further.
+1 and I would be willing to go in for some of the beads. Shouldn't be a problem to come up with 20 folks on here to buy $10 worth. What I really need to do is talk the shop at work into using this type of beads
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #22686
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
Teeter,

Why would you need a month? Let's just do it!

Rctr
Jimmy
Yeah.. I thought about that 'month' thing and realized it was a drastic exaggeration. I'm thinking a long weekend. I may source a motor in few weeks.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #22687
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Hey folks,

I need to do an engine swap on my truck and my driveway just isn't the place for it. Does anybody have garage (or even driveway space) that they want to make some money on for a month or so?

Thanks!
What's wrong with your driveway?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #22688
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post

I'd take 10 lbs of that.... It'd be nice to have some Dyna Beads and these beads side by side to check em out..

As for the size of the beads... I can see where the smaller beads would make smaller 'cluster size' around the locations where they come to dynamic rest, however, it would have the same effect physically as a larger size cluster from larger beads. It would in effect be a practical equivalence.... or so I would think.

I can imagine advantages and disadvantages to different bead sizes and densities. I think it would take a proper research project to find out the facts though. If anyone has a crush meter we could find out their relative strength (crush point) at least ;)

So far though... I am happy with the result with the airsoft. I'd be nice though to be able to add them through the valve stem as with dyna-beads.

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 06:41 AM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #22689
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 903
Beads

I'm not at home today to check but there is a ceramic brand of beads that work differently than the Dyna Beads. Somehow (PFM) after the beads settle in the tire thay stay attached to the rubber instead off falling to the bottom of the wheel every time you stop. Could be a static charge that does it, not sure. I will look at them when I get home. I picked them up at a bike show at a booth across from the Dyna Beads booth.

I'd be willing to pitch in for the bucket of beads, what ever the brand. I have been very happy with the results.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #22690
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I'm not at home today to check but there is a ceramic brand of beads that work differently than the Dyna Beads. Somehow (PFM) after the beads settle in the tire thay stay attached to the rubber instead off falling to the bottom of the wheel every time you stop. Could be a static charge that does it, not sure. I will look at them when I get home. I picked them up at a bike show at a booth across from the Dyna Beads booth.

I'd be willing to pitch in for the bucket of beads, what ever the brand. I have been very happy with the results.
I'd try some as well.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #22691
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
I'd go in on a bucket o beads

Never tried these beads because I can't get my head around how they could possibly work. "Magically migrate opposite the heavy spots" does not hold water for me, and spin balancer machines agree. They apparently do something though.. Maybe just general vibration damping.

Still tempted to do a seat of the pants test on the beads to see if I'm missing out on something. I'd really like to try them on the Miata which has a mystery tire vibration between 67-72 mph that normal balancing doesn't fix
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #22692
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Anybody use Maverick GPS for their phone? I just found it and it looks like it stores lots of different kinds of maps for use, mainly when you don't have cell service. I just downloaded it so I don't know how well it works, but I will be trying it in a couple weeks when I take the bike camping.

On a side note, I just installed my first farkle. A rear rack. Looks great.

On another side note, is there anymore information on the BRT trip that was being planned for the Summer time? I'm collecting my gear slowly, but my Summer weekends are booking up fast.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #22693
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Anybody use Maverick GPS for their phone? I just found it and it looks like it stores lots of different kinds of maps for use, mainly when you don't have cell service. I just downloaded it so I don't know how well it works, but I will be trying it in a couple weeks when I take the bike camping.

On a side note, I just installed my first farkle. A rear rack. Looks great.

On another side note, is there anymore information on the BRT trip that was being planned for the Summer time? I'm collecting my gear slowly, but my Summer weekends are booking up fast.
I don't like using my phone on the bike as a GPS. I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. Waterproof, Usable with gloves, better routing(larger array of routing preferences), download routes from home computer, track logs, waypoints etc..

Though for the car I'm always looking for a better option. I keep coming back to Google Maps though. Tried Waze, Navigon and a few others, but I keep coming back to Google Maps. If you find that Maverick works well, let me know. I'll give it a shot.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #22694
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I'd go in on a bucket o beads

Never tried these beads because I can't get my head around how they could possibly work. "Magically migrate opposite the heavy spots" does not hold water for me, and spin balancer machines agree. They apparently do something though.. Maybe just general vibration damping.

Still tempted to do a seat of the pants test on the beads to see if I'm missing out on something. I'd really like to try them on the Miata which has a mystery tire vibration between 67-72 mph that normal balancing doesn't fix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

This video may help you wrap your mind around it. There is another one I cannot seem to find that helped me 'get' it. The key is that the rotating structure is on a movable axis. If it is on a fixed axis it will not work. Since the tires are attached to suspension, it works in this case. The key is that when the tire starts to spin fast enough to vibrate, the beads move around randomly, and they happen to land in spots that reduce the vibration. The beads in essence 'migrate' to the locations that stop the vibrations. Then they stop moving.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #22695
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I don't like using my phone on the bike as a GPS. I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. Waterproof, Usable with gloves, better routing(larger array of routing preferences), download routes from home computer, track logs, waypoints etc..

Though for the car I'm always looking for a better option. I keep coming back to Google Maps though. Tried Waze, Navigon and a few others, but I keep coming back to Google Maps. If you find that Maverick works well, let me know. I'll give it a shot.
I use Google Maps for the car, and I would love a dedicated GPS for the bike at some point. I wouldn't mount my phone on the handlebars ever, but if I get a wolfman tank bag I will put it in the map case and just run the charger to it until I can get an actual GPS. I have a lot more farkles to do before I can get a GPS. One thing that is cool about Maverick is the Speedo is built in, you can switch to different maps, I believe you can load your own files in, and you can start a track then click back track to get back to where you were. Now again, this is just from me looking at it this morning. I have not used it in the field yet, but if it works it will be awesome. I plan on trying it out for my camping trip in a couple weeks since I'll be flying solo and hitting the forest roads you guys always do, but i've never personally been on. If it works it will help me find my way back.

If anyone would like to join me for the day I'll be heading out Friday the 17th. I'll be camping with friends for a bachelor weekend so I would have to branch off at some point in the afternoon, but we could ride up 60 together in hit trails for most of the day.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote