New England Exploration

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Sir. Waffles, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to head to Vermont also, I took the girlfriend up there for grad school earlier this month. Great country, defiantly on my short list but I'm hoping to hold off to the CroMag Rally in September. Also I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but if anyone ever wants to ride together or meet up to split the cost on a Camp site (they tend to be expensive in New England) PM me or something. I try to get out at least every other weekend.
  2. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    So after moving to a new apartment and a lot of work on the Tiger I finally am getting back out on the road. With a complete service for the most part and my work to clean out any carbon buildup, :D shes running better than ever. Local rides have been pretty basic as I'm still trying to find my around but they have lead me to some interesting finds. Like this poor fellow, whos kind I had never seen in person or in the wild (Dead or Alive), so I had to stop and take a look.

[​IMG]

The images really don't do it justice, it was really good size. The feet were about the size of a playing card or more. I originally thought it was a VERY large raccoon then a maybe a small bear (I don't know what I was thinking there) and not until I was on top of it did I realize it was a porcupine.

[​IMG]

Back to my most recent trip. I decided to head to Maine for the labor day weekend and ride up the coast to the border. Things didn't go according to my loose set of plans. I found an antique cycle and air show along the way to Owls Head light. Also ran into traffic on route from others out for the log weekend, poor planning on my part. Weather ended up cutting my trip short and I ended up riding a downpour for most of my trip home, so no pictures that day.

[​IMG]

Two Lights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Portland Head Light
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know what happen to this mansion but it looked like it was quite the place.
    [​IMG]

The plaque provides a good example.
    [​IMG]

Wandering further down the road.........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    After stopping to get some gloves a local dealer tipped me off about a antique cycle and air show up the road at Owls Head Transportation Museum. Continuing North and seeing all kinds of antique motorcycles I decided that I had to check it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seemed like by the time I got there most riders had already headed out. Heard some news that there was antique ride going on somewhere else nearby. So I headed into the Museum so see what they had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The museum was pretty nice, wasn't what I was looking for that day but thanks to a fellow Triumph rider I got in free.
    [​IMG]

Saw this guy in the parking lot, notice the sticker.
    [​IMG]

Back on course...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of Rockland Harbor from inside the light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After waiting to take a picture before going inside the light and after getting out I decided to just taking the picture because this lady and her 8 people posse wouldn't get out of the way. I bet she thinks it's a good one. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penobscot Narrows Bridge + Observatory I really wanted to check this out but because I went to the cycle show they had already closed; next time.
    [​IMG]

The last of my good weather.
    [​IMG]
    The next day started good and cold but quickly turn to Downpours and clouds so I hightailed it home.........in the rain. :bluduh
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    You're welcome up here in Northern VT. Free tenting or stay my little cabin out back. It's about three hours from Boston/Salem, and so can be ridden Friday evenings before dark, then two full days of putting (or screaming) about. It's a pretty straight shot, mostly 93 to 91 for the most direct route.

The Fall Redneck Rendezvous may interest you also. There's a pretty nice road loop. Mountains, lakes, rivers and trees await.

See it here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790766
  5. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime. The Fall Redneck Rendezvous looks good too if I have the cold weather gear.
  6. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Went out for a short little ride outside Salem this morning, one of the better local rides actually. It was a great sunny morning, not much traffic while everyone's in church and temps are brisk and refreshing.
    [​IMG]

Harold Parker State Forest
    [​IMG]

Back down the road
    [​IMG]

Its about time I find something like this nearby, even if it only last a little while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last of the good stuff but enough to make the morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick break before heading home for the day. So glad I put off washing the bike for a few hours to go out and see what I could find. :D
    [​IMG]
  7. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Massachusetts continues to surprise me, a few pictures from the weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some hawk/bird nest in the top right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Change of plans....not going across this bridge.
    [​IMG]

Road up the coast along Seabrook Beach and there were people riding horses on the beach.
    [​IMG]
  9. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great report. I'd love to explore back east someday. It's a little far away for now, though.
  10. killianm

killianm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great memories of great rides. I love NH!! Can't wait to get back!!!!
  11. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    It might be pretty chilly out but that hasn't stopped Mrs. Waffles and I from getting out and trying her new helmet. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the photos, and the Tiger looks great.

Art
  13. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Seems most of the Massachusett's coast community is still in hibernation. So I'm taking the opportunity to check out the coast and everything in between before it gets packed for the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case you're wondering what the other side of that bridge looks like :evil:

[​IMG]

Ski season's probably over for me after this weekend, so I may be in touch soon to see if you'd like to get that Tiger dirty. :deal
  15. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me, I'm always looking for people to ride with and I'm pretty flexible on time. The Tiger doesn't get dirty near enough as it should but such is life in Salem.
  16. mystery jig

mystery jig Van Gogh's Banjo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That was me.
  17. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    After a long stretch of cabin fever, the desire to head home, and a surplus of vacation time I found myself heading to Laurel Fork. Then after riding around West Virginia/Monongahela National Forest I would head to Ohio visiting family and friends for a week before heading back to Massachusetts.

Days before I leave I give in to to packing. Luckily for me we have some extra space.
    [​IMG]

Thursday morning I hit the road early and headed to a fellow Inmate's cabin in WV about a hour outside Laurel Fork. The ride from MA to WV was cold and wet. Temps were in the low 30's when I left and didn't warm up to much along the way. Three to Four hours of rain didn't help things either.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the cabin I was greeted with cold beer and a warm bed. The next morning I made my way to Laurel Fork set up camp and got some riding in before the rain set in again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was told this creek runs underground for little more than a mile. A teacher from Virginia was sitting outside waiting her middle school students to make the walk through. She was pretty amazing in my mind to do something like this for her students. I did some pretty neat things in school but never anything like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rainy Spruce Knob
    [​IMG]

The next day after a cold windy night at Laurel Fork.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed out for a quick ride that lasted all day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hearing of a cold night to come some fellow inmates and I got a hotel. It was warm and the next morning gave way to a heavy frost even though my bike was in the sun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped by the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum on the way to Ohio.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What beautiful countryside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Testing out the CB750F after setting all winter with my dad. Luckily for me he was taking his time and I could work on my road shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its defiantly a 15+ ft. looker and it came with the paint job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hitting up the local roads
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think these were chickens and they didn't look like any turkey I had ever seen but I have no idea. They sure could run fast, even though I almost ran over a few.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a little adventurous and headed out through the field.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tired to buy this car a few times, 1972 Buick Slylark.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good roads
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    More local Ohio riding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake Hope State Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this is good to know all the swimming I done in the local creeks and at Lake Hope, plus fishing. Pretty sure I have have swam in some pretty sketchy ponds according to these pictures.
    [​IMG]

Spent a few summers swimming here outside Moonville tunnel. On a 90+ degree day the water was still cold from all the shade along the creek.
    [​IMG]

A little better image of the tunnel. I wanted to walk through it but didn't feel like wading the creek or walking along the river to the tunnel leaving my bike. In high school some friends and I got the idea to spend a night in the tunnel but we didn't make it all night. Supposedly its haunted, I've had some weird things happen but never seen any ghost. A little more info http://www.forgottenoh.com/moonville.html
    [​IMG]

Nice day too
    [​IMG]

Hope Furnace
    [​IMG]

Nelsonville Brick Plant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visiting my Alma mater and college employer Ohio University. I miss driving these buses.
    [​IMG]

The Ridges/Athens Lunatic Asylum another supposedly haunted site and OU property.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cemetary at the Ridges, most headstones only contains a number no other identification.
    [​IMG]

Didn't get any more pictures in before slabbing it back to Massachusetts.
  20. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Excellent documentary work! Great images. :thumb
    DarthPeach homage :thumb :evil
    Nice to meet you in Laurel Fork.

Oh and I drove a 1972 Buick Skylark for a few years. 350 with a 4 barrel... Lit up one wheel any time i wanted.:lol2.. Needed positraction.