Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Thats funny, I have done hundreds and never a broken tap. I can hold a drill steadier than I can a tap handle. Don't over tighten the chuck and you will be fine. If it starts to slip in the chuck, just reverse a a few turns and go in again. Fast and accurate.
I agree with this method I tap holes ALL THE TIME using this same method. Haven't broken a tap in over a decade.

Drill the correct hole, use plenty of cutting fluid and don't reef down on the chuck. It's almost foolproof. I use the same method tapping smaller holes on the lathe. The grip on the tap depends on a bunch of different factors but not tightening the chuck all the way acts as a clutch.

I probably tap 95% of my holes using a chuck either in the lathe, drillpress or cordless drill.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_Stamp View Post
Cordless drill & tap works fast, but not for the faint of heart or first-timers or for that matter anyone that's not willing to extract a broken tap. However, that being said it's become my favorite method; ....... :) :) :)
I do this as well, so long as the hole is drilled well,

So many drill/drivers have torque clutches and low/high speed. On low with the slipper a few clicks off "drill" seems to work well on large taps, otherwise I start at loose on the clutch and move up.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
I've had limited success with only two methods:

-shattering the tap with a center punch, then picking/blowing out the remains

-fishing a piece of stiff but thin wire into each flute, then grabbing the protruding ends of the wire with a pair of linemans as close to the surface as possible and twisting it back and forth. This is the poor mans tap extractor. The real tap extractors have never worked for me!

Beyond that, take the part somewhere with an EDM tap burner and have it vaporized. Small, special EDMs specifically for removing broken taps/drills are sold. My trade school shop had an ancient one...it wasn't even called an EDM, but an arc something or other...can't remember.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote