Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #151
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Ok, so now I'm thinking if I sell the Buell, Triumph and Kawasaki, I should be able to buy an F700GS outright, and get a topcase for it. From what everyone's said, it seems like that would be a good bike to have. It would be new, so I wouldn't have the maintenance issues that crop up periodically with the Buell. I don't think I'd get enough out of the C14 to make it worthwhile, but the F700 would be a good balance between long-distance rides and commuting.

Edited to add - I already have a Zumo 6-something that I will take off the Buell and put on whatever bike I bring. I use Dairyland cycle insurance, but if they're not user-friendly for me in Korea I am already a USAA customer for everything else.

I've already started taking some Hangeul courses online, and it's an interesting language. I've got the alphabet down, and can figure out how words go together. Now I need to move to putting sentences together and increasing my vocabulary.

I spent a few hours washing the bikes this afternoon, and will spend another few hours tomorrow, then taking pictures, getting them ready to sell. Tuesday I'll head to the BMW dealer to find out about the F700GS. I am wondering about registering it - I don't want to pay to register it for a year, and then leave the country a month later and have to register it in Korea. I assume that the bike needs to be registered over there, right?
I think you are making a good call getting the F700GS.
You'll register it in Korea as a SOFA vehicle. The process is a little painful, but not too bad. I don't remember any major cost associated with it.
Your GPS should be able ot accept Garmin map data for Korea. i had several folks offer to help me with map data while I was over there, but I was just too cheep to buy a new GPS (map data would not work with my Quest II).
As for insurance, USAA is really the only game in town. I think all I had was liability. They said they would only insure me if i also insured a car over there. I told them I was looking, and they wrote me a policy. You'll need proof of insurance in order to register the bike. You might call USAA before you leave to work out the details.
Check out ROK Riders on Facebook as a good source of local info.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #152
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,199
Quote:
I've already started taking some Hangeul courses online, and it's an interesting language. I've got the alphabet down, and can figure out how words go together. Now I need to move to putting sentences together and increasing my vocabulary.

Smart man. If you get good enough to figure out the mean disparaging shit the ajummas say when they see you, don't take it personally.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #153
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
The funny thing is that I've been in the Army 20 years, and have never been to Korea. Yet, I know a few Korean phrases, just because almost everyone goes there at some point, and things like (and I'm butchering the transliteration of this, Im sure) kom-sa-me-dah have made their way into Soldier vocabulary. So when I read your post, I recognize "ajumma" as a word I've heard people say, but never really knew what it is.

I'm psyched to get over there and start a new job, and to adventure in a new country. Thanks for all the advice, folks.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #154
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
The funny thing is that I've been in the Army 20 years, and have never been to Korea. Yet, I know a few Korean phrases, just because almost everyone goes there at some point, and things like (and I'm butchering the transliteration of this, Im sure) kom-sa-me-dah have made their way into Soldier vocabulary. So when I read your post, I recognize "ajumma" as a word I've heard people say, but never really knew what it is.

I'm psyched to get over there and start a new job, and to adventure in a new country. Thanks for all the advice, folks.
Ajumma is easy enough to look up in Google. ;-) Interesting about the soldier vocab.

I've been to South Korea about ten times and what with my wife's constant travels to and fro', have actually considered moving. That they don't let bikes on highways really pisses me off tho.

Also something to keep in mind while you're there... I'm sure USFK has some mechanisms to help improve life for you folks there but the KTO - Korea Tourism Organization - has also been making great efforts. If there is something you need and can't find (and the commissary can't help), or if some taxicab driver decided they didn't want to pick up a non-Korean, or whatever, they can sometimes help.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #155
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Good choice on the BMW. I picked up a F650GS out here and it has been fantastic, though a bit heavy for the brakes with two and stuff.

GPS... I wouldn't. I have never used a motorcycle GPS but the car versions I have tried in Korea (Hyundai and Garmin) have led me so wrong I have sworn them off. My preference is a good ol map on my tank bag and reading the road signs. If I get lost, the smart phone with naver/daum/google maps is there to save the day.
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #156
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPLR View Post
GPS... I wouldn't. I have never used a motorcycle GPS but the car versions I have tried in Korea (Hyundai and Garmin) have led me so wrong I have sworn them off. My preference is a good ol map on my tank bag and reading the road signs. If I get lost, the smart phone with naver/daum/google maps is there to save the day.
Guess YMMV. The Hyundai GPS receiver we have had for several years now had us going in circles once around a construction area but that's about it. The usual drawback of any GPS like picking roads that are direct but slow due to traffic but that's the only issue we have had. That and having to give it to a native to help us get the maps and POIs updated now and then . Ours has a handy feature where you can navigate by stations on a subway map. You would be surprised how easy that makes some things. It can also navigate by phone number (awesome) and takes English input for a few things even though it's a Korean -only GPS receiver.

Mis-spellings are not tolerated so using Hangeul input can be tricky for an expat if you're not well practiced. Wanna find a Costco warehouse, round-eye? The first letter is a ㅋ - not ㄱ ! Then you have to remember how they [have to, technically] f up the pronunciation... ko-suh-tuh-ko. Ends up being spelled 코스트코 .

In and around Seoul I find the GPS receiver indispensable because there's not a straight road anywhere in that city.

NPLR, what are you paying for your smart phone there?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #157
Squelch
Everyday People

Right now I have a Zumo 665 on my Buell. I might sell the Buell with the GPS, since it's hard wired into the bike, and I added a metal plate to the top case for the XM antenna, it would look a little strange without the GPS.

If I do that, maybe I'll wait until I get over there to get a replacement then. I have an old Zumo 5-something, and a couple of handheld GPSs too, that I can use in the interim.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #158
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Right now I have a Zumo 665 on my Buell. I might sell the Buell with the GPS, since it's hard wired into the bike, and I added a metal plate to the top case for the XM antenna, it would look a little strange without the GPS.

If I do that, maybe I'll wait until I get over there to get a replacement then. I have an old Zumo 5-something, and a couple of handheld GPSs too, that I can use in the interim.
I bought a road atlas in the BX at Osan. It was a little dated (they are building roads like crazy over there), but that and google maps was my friend on long rides. The GPS was really just a backup.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #159
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,369
Squelch, when are you getting here? You'll be kind sorta on my way to good roads...( I am in Pyeongtaek)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #160
Squelch
Everyday People

I'll get in country mid-July, but my bike won't arrive until later. I wouldn't plan on having it before end of August, knowing how Army shipments go...

I have a big exercise in August anyway, so I don't expect to start moto-exploring until September.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #161
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
NPLR, what are you paying for your smart phone there?
A touch over 70,000 a month for unlimited data and a bunch of minutes/text on KT. I didn't pay anything upfront for the phone and I have insurance on it. The phone is a galaxy nexus. Korea sells their phones unlocked which is a thing of beauty, so far I've used it in Philippines, Thailand, China, US and South Africa. Thing of beauty.

I could see needing the GPS in a big city, I haven't lived anywhere big enough yet to warrant that and the countryside is reasonable to navigate sans GPS. But as you say, each to his own.
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #162
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 328
I use a Garmin GPS here in Korea. The maps for Korea are available for about 200 bucks, but updates (when they are available) are only $30. I got my Garmin unit used and it had version 7 maps on it. They are now up to version 10 (released early this year) and I have paid $30 for each new version. I plan my routes in Basecamp before leaving home and keep frequently used routes on my SD card. It helps me avoid big cities, crappy roads, and roads that are off-limits to motorcycles, and routes me directly to the good roads. I carry a road atlas to back up my Garmin, but the Garmin have been indispensable for taking me all over Korea without having to stop and consult my maps.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #163
Squelch
Everyday People

Quick question for any military folks - I just got my orders, and it says I can't ship a POV because I'm going unaccompanied. Did you ship your bike as part of your HHG? If you want to PM me so we don't clog up the thread with military-specific junk, feel free. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #164
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Quick question for any military folks - I just got my orders, and it says I can't ship a POV because I'm going unaccompanied. Did you ship your bike as part of your HHG? If you want to PM me so we don't clog up the thread with military-specific junk, feel free. Thanks!
I shipped mine as HHG. Obviously, it will count against your total weight, so plan accordingly. You won't regret taking it.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #165
Squelch
Everyday People

Skitch - thanks for the info. Now I have to figure out how much weight I can bring. I think it's 1/4 my normal HHG total, which would be about 4,000 pounds, so 500 pounds worth of motorcycle isn't bad at all.