User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Gun Smoke OP
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Has Anyone Ever Wrapped Their 1200GS

Hey guys I was wondering if it's possible. I have no experience with car wrap. Has anyone has ever used car wrap on their oil head 1200gs? If so how much did you pay? Or is it something I can do in the driveway at home? I just want to cover the painted areas. My water cooled has been delivered and the oil head is going to my niece. I want to protect the paint and change the color. She wants hot pink. Thanks folks for any help.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
If you have patience and the right materials it can be done quite easily. I've wrapped my side panels where my knees touch. A good material will have a honey comb pattern on the back where the adhesive is. This honey comb pattern means that there is always an airway through a maze to an edge, so you don't end up with bubbles. True wrap material is also very flexible. The material I used even conformed to the recessed GS imprint on my side panels.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,468
Yup. Side panels are easy with a heat gun. Fender tip? Not so much. Buy more than you need and take your time.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
There was a good how to thread on this a while back and it looked awesome.

Nice Avitar. ;)
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Plasti Dip

Plasti Dip is another option; available in several colours and removable if necessary: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
LVGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I really like the wet method of vinyl application. For normal vinyl a couple of drops of soap in a pint or so of distilled water, sprayed into the area for application. You lay the vinyl on top, maneuver it where you want, and squeegee the water out with a soft squeegee. No skill required. It should be good immediately with proper squeegeeing, but it will take about a day or so to dry out to make sure it doesn't move.

Lately I've been using some specialty products as the liquid instead. Rapid Tac and Rapid Tac II (for special adhesives products like reflective vinyl), I found them on amazon, and they seem to work well with no mixing or anything.

I recently did my panniers with a complex cut out in a solid color reflective material, this method can also be used for large single pieces that are printed in a pattern.

I don't know if anyone else has pictures of this one from google images, but I always thought this was a cool wrap job.

That one would have taken time and a heat gun. The painted areas are not exactly smooth, but with some heat, wraps can be manipulated. If you want to try it out, you can get some unprinted vinyl from amazon, and a xacto knife and heatgun (maybe a blow dryer would work) and try it out. I would say judging by my past experiences with wraps, you might be looking at around 400-500$ for a professional wrap of the painted areas depending just because of the complex shapes that it has to be molded to, and they'll want to print the pink color onto colorless vinyl, and laminate it. Of course for something like hot pink, you could do it yourself. Of course your mileage may vary, there is a high degree of variability in this field. Some sign shops charge more than others.

I always thought it would be cool to wrap a GSA tank, because it's huge. But judging from my clark tank on my XT225, gasoline vapors penetrate some plastics, and bubble stickers. Not sure if it's the case with the BMW plastic tanks.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
That map is awesome. Where did you get it?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Gun Smoke OP
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Thanks a lot guys. As always there's a wealth of knowledge here.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
I got 3M Carbon Fiber wrap to do my Rockster and it was awful. try as I might I just couldn't get the hang of it. The side panels looked OK from ten feet away. I abandoned the gas tank idea and the rest of it. Looked pretty easy on Youtube
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 209
Pink would be the perfect color for ze pig

I wrapped the side panels and valve cover guards a couple of years ago with 3M Controltac.

It was really easy and has been holding up well.

Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post

Your garage needs some work....or, is that your house?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Your garage needs some work....or, is that your house?
Nope, that's the local BMW dealer
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
matbjoe
GSViking

Oddometer: 9
[/QUOTE]

Cool job. Did you make that shield in front of your brake pedal as well? How did you make it? I really like the idea.....
2001 Honda XR650R
matbjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post

I always thought it would be cool to wrap a GSA tank, because it's huge. But judging from my clark tank on my XT225, gasoline vapors penetrate some plastics, and bubble stickers. Not sure if it's the case with the BMW plastic tanks.

Think about this for a moment, Do you really think that the feds would allow materials to be used by manufacturers that does not contain fuel vapors.

Some time ago I asked a friend who is in the plastic molding business about this. His answer to what is happening is the plastic itself is off gasing and not vapors passing through it. This off gasing is the reason that manufactures have to specially treat (with a heat treatment) some (there is over 1100 kinds of plastic) blown bottles that will printed or labeled to prevent bubbling or lifting.

And yes BMW tanks are in this category, just look at the factory labels after just a year or so.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Clear shield

I had the tank on my KLR wrapped, clear shield used on cars hoods and fenders. Held up really well, no scratches on the paint. I'm gonna have the same thing done in a few weeks on my new GSA.
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote