User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,829
Bike rental in Northern Italy?

John Hermann, the guy who wrote "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Corsica'" is a member of the local BMWMOA, and has informed my wife that if you only ride one part, ride The Dolomites (Google Streetview and you'll believe).

So now I've got a bug up my ass. I've googled all the rental sites, and it looks like http://www.motorbikerentitaly.com/ has the best selection/rates.

Anyone have any info/experience to offer? Thanks in advance!

(ps: don't tell my wife...we don't have the money!)
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
John Hermann, the guy who wrote "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Corsica'" is a member of the local BMWMOA, and has informed my wife that if you only ride one part, ride The Dolomites (Google Streetview and you'll believe).

So now I've got a bug up my ass. I've googled all the rental sites, and it looks like http://www.motorbikerentitaly.com/ has the best selection/rates.
I've had great results with Renato at BiancoBlu in Milano. I rented from him for 3 years with absolutely NO issues. (I now have a bike stashed over there, and so no longer rent).

And am somewhat jealous that you know Hermann - I have three worn out copies of his book.

DO NOT, however, go to the Dolomites first. They'll completely spoil you for any other mountains.

One note when you're comparing prices - BiancoBlu has unlimited kilometrage (is that a word?), whereas motorbikerentitaly charges €0.20/km. Figure 250-300 km/day - more if you use a lot of Autostradas - when figuring your actual rental costs.

If you use motorbikerentitaly, I'd suggest picking up your bike at the Vicenza location - renting from Milano will cost you 2 days + kms - one to the hills, and one back. From Vicenza, you're basically already there (train from Malpensa to Vicenza).

73 days and I'll be there!

Oh yeah - and I'd recommend a GS - 90% of the mountain roads will be lower gears and switchbacks - the GS torque and quicker steering is a definite asset in those conditions.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Anyone have any info/experience to offer? Thanks in advance!
Eligio at mototouring.com is in Milan and rent bikes. An email to rental@mototouring.com will reach the lovely and helpful Mariaelena. She'll fix you up. Located on the NE side of Milan, close to Linate.

Tell her Phil and Debb say "Hi". (We store our bikes with them.)
Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I've had great results with Renato at BiancoBlu in Milano. I rented from him for 3 years with absolutely NO issues. (I now have a bike stashed over there, and so no longer rent).

And am somewhat jealous that you know Hermann - I have three worn out copies of his book.

DO NOT, however, go to the Dolomites first. They'll completely spoil you for any other mountains.

One note when you're comparing prices - BiancoBlu has unlimited kilometrage (is that a word?), whereas motorbikerentitaly charges 0.20/km. Figure 250-300 km/day - more if you use a lot of Autostradas - when figuring your actual rental costs.

If you use motorbikerentitaly, I'd suggest picking up your bike at the Vicenza location - renting from Milano will cost you 2 days + kms - one to the hills, and one back. From Vicenza, you're basically already there (train from Malpensa to Vicenza).

Oh yeah - and I'd recommend a GS - 90% of the mountain roads will be lower gears and switchbacks - the GS torque and quicker steering is a definite asset in those conditions.
This is gold, Michael. Thankyou.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is gold, Michael. Thankyou.
Oh yeah - and you DO have a copy of John's book, don't you?

One more thing - in the Dolomites get a room in either Arabba or Corvara in Badia for at least 3-4 nights. These towns will put you in the middle of some of the best riding and scenery on earth. By home-basing like this, you can just take your time and ride around without the hassle of finding a room each night and the unpacking-packing routine. We (my kids and I) rented a chalet in Canazei for a week in 2003 - cheaper than hotels, but a week was a bit much and we were ready to move on after 5 days.

Disclaimer - I spent two tours of duty (4 years, total) at Aviano AB and am somewhat prejudiced in favor of that corner of the world.

MichaelJ screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 04:24 AM
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Quote:
Oh yeah - and you DO have a copy of John's book, don't you?

One more thing - in the Dolomites get a room in either Arabba or Corvara in Badia for at least 3-4 nights. These towns will put you in the middle of some of the best riding and scenery on earth. By home-basing like this, you can just take your time and ride around without the hassle of finding a room each night and the unpacking-packing routine. We (my kids and I) rented a chalet in Canazei for a week in 2003 - cheaper than hotels, but a week was a bit much and we were ready to move on after 5 days.

Disclaimer - I spent two tours of duty (4 years, total) at Aviano AB and am somewhat prejudiced in favor of that corner of the world.
I have this ridiculous apprehension that I'll get there and it'll be just like riding in the mountains of San Diego.
-Simon Thomas
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
I have this ridiculous apprehension that I'll get there and it'll be just like riding in the mountains of San Diego.

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Ok, sorry...the Sierras, then. Minus all the history, food, Alpine architecture, and Italians. I did say it was ridiculous.
-Simon Thomas

Johnny Dakar screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 01:43 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Ok, sorry...the Sierras, then. Minus all the history, food, Alpine architecture, and Italians. I did say it was ridiculous.
History baby; we got it!

Seriously John, IMO the Dolomites has the best riding to be had in Europe. Is it significantly different to what you've got over there? Dunno, but it is fantastic.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Last year I went west for my long annual ride - Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada. And while there were some good bits (US-12 over Lolo Pass comes to mind), the overall take away was that I shoulda headed east instead of west.

The thing about Europe is that it's so - condensed. You don't have time to finish reacting to one spectacular road/vista before you'e hit with another. Yeah - we have them out west, too, but they're a few hundred miles apart.

Read the 2007 Trip Report (link below) - it is actually the daily log of a friend that I took on his first Euro bike ride - it will give you a first-timer's impression.

Remember: In Europe, 100 miles is a long distance. In the US, 100 years is a long time. Completely different perspective. This is why we travel.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
... In Europe, 100 miles is a long distance. In the US, 100 years is a long time...
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,690
Quote:

One note when you're comparing prices - BiancoBlu has unlimited kilometrage (is that a word?), whereas motorbikerentitaly charges 0.20/km. Figure 250-300 km/day - more if you use a lot of Autostradas - when figuring your actual rental costs.

73 days huh? 28 for me.... you're absolutely correct about the Dollies, just magic. Italy in general is like being 'SET FREE'! for me. Ever wonder where the Nazis went? They now control the roads in Australia.......
Have fun guys, may see yuz on the road!