Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Wink Some noob's DR650 farkle/accessory/nonsense thread

Ahoy thar me 'arties!
After quite some time spent lurking around this dastardly collection of woeful inmates, I have finally pulled the trigger and supplemented my current steed (CBR 600 F2) with one more suited to venturing off and beyond the beaten track. A DR 650!
So brace thyself traveller, afore thee lies a sordid tale of woe, wherein I go where oh so many have gone before me; a-farkling!

Also, a fair warning: picture wall lies ahead!
I know that there are probably a countless number of threads that cover this stuff better, but on the off chance that someone finds it useful I'm going to document my build up. It's my thread, I'll run it how I want!

Now before I jump into it, I thought I'd share my previous rig:

(I case you're wondering, no those are not my flaming red locks flowing freely from under that helmet. That's my better half )

My loadout:

And the new acquisition! 2010 model with 2450km on the clock

You may have noticed that the CBR has changed her skirt.
This was due to a rather sub-optimal instance of interaction between my front tire and a farking wet tram track. During this period of tire - track interaction I rather suavely managed to fall flat on my face in front of a legion of spectators
God I hate tram tracks!
Four weeks and 550 Hong Kong bound dollars later, I was the proud owner of a new set of fairings that fit about as well a a Doberman on a unicycle. But with some expletive laden persuasion they did eventually go on, and for the money I can't say that I was disappointed.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

So, that brings us to this morning. I awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to ride my newly purchased steed to work. Pull the choke, turn the key, pull the clutch, shift to neutral, hit the go button and drumroll... Nothing.
Perplexed, I spent the next ten minutes trying various combinations of kill switch pushing, gear lever hammering, stand raising and lowering and a series of expletives I shall not repeat here for fear of tarnishing the shining reputation of this forum's character.

Eventually I threw in the towel an proceeded to switch to my ever faithful CBR for the commute. Balls.

Now while I am a noob to the DR, from previous experience I had a couple of thoughts as to who the perpetrator might be. First and foremost in the line-up of suspects were the clutch and side-stand kill switches. So after returning from work I cracked myself a beer and set to it.

First up, the clutch switch. I followed the cable backwards from the lever to the wiring harness neatly wrapped up behind the headlight cowling and found where its wires connected:

I swear it's almost like Suzuki anticipated this eventuality. I simply pulled the connectors apart and stuck the two coming out of the bike together, and hey presto! A hit on the starter button and she sprang to life!

At this point I decided to nip any future idiot switch related issues in the bud and remove the kickstand circuit as well:

Follow the wires from the switch to the green connector under the seat and cut the wires with a little excess on either side:

Now this step is of VITAL IMPORTANCE! Whenever doing you own electrical work, always ensure that a solid amount of beer or other type of alcohol is consumed prior to commencing your repairs. This ensures that your soldering work looks about as sloppy as a thai hookers snatch, providing any future owner of the bike with considerable amusement; "Damn Jonno look at this shit, that stupid fucker had NO bloody idea what he was doing!". After all, that's about half the fun of buying a used bike, isn't it?

Anyway, on with the shrink tubing!

Good enough!

That finished, I decided to turn my attention to the upper chain roller. Off with his head!

And some manifold sealant into the hole to stop water getting in. Shut up, it's all I had.

Now I know that some people contest the whole upper chain roller issue, but this is what mine looked like after only 2450km of life, and my bike was previously owned by a woman in her mid 60s, so I assume that it wasn't exactly thrashed.

Although you never know, grannies come pretty hardcore nowadays...

DeltaSierra screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:25 AM Reason: Yarrr! Bad grammar of'n the Starboard bow!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

I decided to to go for a B&B rear rack, I like the unobtrusive looks and it seems pretty solid. While looking for a DR I was initially planning on fitting a B&B bash plate as well, however mine came with one already fitted and it looks up to the task so I'll leave it be for now.

It was so easy to fit that I won't even bother with a step by step. Included come two sets of bolts, depending on if you want to fit the stock grab handles or not. I intend to drag the ol' ball and chain out for a few rides, so I opted to leave them on

And on with the hand guards! I didn't want to spring the ludicrous amount of cash required for genuine Barkbusters, so I opted for their $40 eBay counterparts. Look like they'll do the job for my purposes:

And while I had the seat off I decided to pull the hose on the airbox as well; I've already ordered a DG exhaust so I figure this will tide me over until I get the Dynajet carb jet kit, at which point I'll probably cut out the top of the box as is customary. The extra ponies (few as they are) won't run if they cant breathe

DeltaSierra screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:27 AM
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

And now on to my first accessory: the Ogio Flight Vest.

My justification behind this questionable purchase is that if I'm on the trail it gives me the option of leaving my bulky gear behind at camp and yet still carry essential tools. This might come in especially handy on more technical trails that I don't have the inclination (or ability ) to tackle fully loaded up. Plus it totally looks really cool!

And I must say, It certainly does have enough space to stash all the necessary tools. Chain segments, master links, socket wrench etc.
Also included is a 2 litre hydration bladder, definitely useful even on the highway. Who can be bothered to stop for a drink?

Front:

Back:

As happy as I am with the vest, there was one annoyance that I have come to accept as an inevitability when buying pretty much any kind of gear that involves straps or buckles: they make them to fit people of the horizontally challenged variety. To be fair I am on the slim side, but even wearing it over my fully padded DriRider jacket with everything strapped fully in, the vest fits somewhat loosely. This is not a major issue, but because I have to pull all the straps as tight as they can go there are a fair amount of loose straps, as you can see in the pictures. Now perhaps this is either a testament to my analness or to the harsh character of my old drill sergeant, but I FUCKING HATE LOOSE STRAPS!!!

Enter my solution:

Cable ties to the rescue! I have yet to see a situation that cable ties couldn't rescue.

So that's pretty much it for my first set of posts. Soon to arrive, boots and TrailTech Vapor!

As they say, 'All the gear and no idea'

DeltaSierra screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:31 AM
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Subscribed!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
As am I!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
And me
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the interest guys, I'll do my best to keep you entertained!

So yesterday the postie was kind enough to deliver me two packages - my Trail Tech Vapor in one and shiny new DG O-Series exhaust in the other!
Being the profound genius that I am I decided, obligatory beer in hand, to install everything that very night plus give my girlfriend an introductory tour of motorbike mechanics. After all, how long could it take?

So after giving the tour, we got started on the exhaust.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the Great and Almighty Motorcycling Gods for being blessed with a dame that actually considers spending an evening drinking beer and spannering about a good time! A huzzah for country gals!

So anyway, installing the DG was easy as, unbolt old exhaust and straight on with the new

Well that was easy!
On to the Trail Tech! As you can see I opted to leave the stock speedo on for now so that I can at least somewhat verify the accuracy of the Vapor. I also managed to set the odometer on the Vapor to the same value as the stocker (2542km) despite the manual being quite insistent that due to it's incremental nature the odo could not be changed. Cheers Google! I realise that being able to change the odo reading is dodgy in a lot of respects but I challenge you to find me one, mechanical or digital, that can't be altered. I have no intention of ripping anyone off, and should I ever sell the bike I will point any potential buyers straight to this thread. Don't you wish that all used vehicles came with a series of illustrated forum thread detailing their life on and off the road? Even better than a service history in my opinion!

So, the mounting position:

The next step was to remove on of the bolts holding on the disk rotor and replace it with the supplied magnetic one. Then I needed to mount the Hall effect sensor contained in a fairly sturdy plastic casing somewhere along it's path of travel. The instructions suggest drilling a hole into part of the brake calliper and then attaching it using the dinky little self tapping screw provided, but I am extremely sceptical that this would go as smoothly as depicted. Besides, I don't have a drill press and there is no way in hell I'm going to maul my calliper by attacking it with my little 10.8V hand drill only to snap the bit about a millimetre in. So I resolved to fall back on old faithful; the cable tie! I drilled two extra holes in the plastic to fit three ties all up for a little redundancy:

And then ran the wire along the brake hose:

It was then time to install the temperature sensor, a feature that I am very glad the Vapor has. I know that despite only being aircooled DRs are not in the habit of overheating, but a little extra info on a bike's running condition never hurt anybody. I pulled the outer spark plug and on she went! I was unsure whether or not to remove the gasket on the plug so I left it on for now, easy enough to remove it later.

I routed the sensor cable along the inner plug lead to keep it from sitting on the engine:

Now by this point it was getting fairly late and the beers had long ago begun to take effect, providing the always eager Fuckup Fairy with her first opportunity to strike: deciding that I didn't fully like the way I had routed the cable to join up with the Vapor unit, I ham-fistedly attempted to separate the connector joining the two. I proceeded to not only crack the actual plastic, but also to pull out both of the wires on it's sensor end. Fan-fucking-tastic. Frustrating perhaps, but a few soldering iron burns later I was back in business. I have decided not include a picture of my failings, as the furry bastard in the tree above me destroyed the remainder of my already sparse dignity with his stare of judgement:

But undeterred I pressed on and proceeded to wire up the rest of the sensors. I joined the red RPM wire to the positive running into the coil (sorry, no pic but it's the solid black wire, the black with white tracer is the neg) and then grounded the black to the frame. I decided to fire her up so that I could confirm the tacho worked, and spent the next five minutes cranking the starter and swearing profusely when she refused to do anything more than turn over. Wilting beneath the possum's icy stare of disapproval, I discovered that I had reconnected the positive incorrectly into its plug. Despite there only being two wires running into the coil there is room for three on the plug, and I had put it into the wrong one.
Damn that possum's steely glare!
I got power from the green connector under the tank, more specifically from the red an black that runs to the the key. I wanted to wire the system up to always have power rather than relying on the built in battery in the Vapor to keep my settings saved.

The only downside to this is that the backlight on the Vapor stays lit for a whopping 20 minutes after taking the key out! Why in the hell they decided to do this is beyond me. I'm not worried about it draining the battery, the light uses a minuscule amount of power, I just don't see the point of having it on if I'm not on the bike.
I then calculated the circumference of my front tire (a stock Trail/Death Wing) first by taking the diameter and then multiplying it by pi as well as marking a spot on the tyre and then rolling it forward 5 revolutions, then measuring the distance and dividing by 5. I averaged out the results and was left with 2100 mm, pretty close to the manual's recommended default of 2110.
This seems to have resulted in quite accurate speed measurements, seemingly the stock speedo is about 3 - 4 km/h on the conservative side. Overall quite pleased!

Now my final thought for this rather lengthy post is on the exhaust. While the note coming out of it is VERY nice, god damn is it loud! I knew there would be a significant increase in db over the stocker, but it definitely borders on the obnoxious side. Dare I say it, I almost felt like a Harley rider...

Also the popping on deceleration is VERY loud if I try to slow down with compression from any kind of decent speed, almost bordering on sounding like a series of backfires. The upshot of this is that there is also a slight sort of popping growl whenever I shift up that I must admit sounds pretty awesome, almost like a little double-shuffle
But needless to say, this will not do at all for the kind of distances I plan on travelling, even though the noise level drops somewhat when at cruising speeds. I have ordered a quiet insert, the smallest available at 1", hopefully this combined with re-packing the baffle will improve the situation somewhat.
I must say however that despite it being too loud, the DG is still a massive improvement over the limp putting that emanates from the stock exhaust.

Well that's about it for now, I must away! The mistress of gins and tonics is a-calling my name!

DeltaSierra screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 03:00 AM
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

So I though I'd chime in with a little mini update on my progress. Over the weekend the girlfriend and I went a-shopping for some road trip gear. We managed to find a great deal on a very compact two man hiking tent with a total weight of just 2 kg (or 4.4 pounds for the metrically challenged), and after the salesperson assured me that it was in fact suitable for not just two men but also a man and a woman, I was sold. I had initially considered a swag, but decided that it wouldn't really leave me much in the way of options when riding two up, so I settled on the tent. We also found two 0 degree sleeping bags at an Supercheap Auto for $25! Steal! They should hopefully keep us warm enough though the winter season.
I also fitted a cigarette lighter socket to the handle bars and a USB charging outlet to fit it, so that we can keep our phones and such charged on multi-day trips. In an effort to combat the exhaust popping I also removed the muffler and applied copious amounts of manifold sealant to it's internals and where it joins to the header pipe. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Our first trip will commence this Thursday, with the Anzac day long weekend giving us four days to motor about the Victorian high country as we please. No set destination, just going where the wind takes us. Hopefully we find some things worth photographing!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
nzrian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Very entertaining,
Have fun over the long weekend.

Sent from mars
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
DeltaSierra OP
Adventurer

So, time for another little update!

First up the trip to Dargo went well, but rather than spamming all my picutres again you can read about it here. Great riding up there!
This was our set up, we actually managed to fit everything on there despite a lack of panniers.

Now I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested in my little mini gear reviews but since I just came back from a visit to my bike shop's bargain bin, I'll show you guys some of the other accessories I got.

First up I wanted some lighter gloves for trail riding, my cold weather DriRiders got a little hot under the collar in sunny Dargo. I found a pair of Alpinestars Techstar motocross gloves in my size for only $19 so I grabbed them. They have somewhat thicker leather on the palms than some of the other motocross gloves, which I like. Nice and comfy and most importantly, much cooler than my winter gloves!

Next up was a new lid. I used my carbon fibre road helmet on the trip, but to be honest I'm not too keen to sacrifice my shiny red $500 helmet to a low hanging tree branch so I decided just to get a cheaper off road one. As luck would have it, they were having a sale on the MX433 by LS2, a brand I've never heard of. It's a reasonable dual sport helmet, and for half price at $99 I was sold. It fits well although it's a little more whistly than my road helmet, which is to be expected with the peak. The peak has decently sized holes for airflow and doesn't seem to pull too much even at highway speeds, providing of course you don't look up. A minor irritation is the visor, which due to it's shape has a bit of distortion towards the bottom, although this goes away further up where you're actually looking at the road.

I also pulled a set of Dragon goggles from that blessed bargain bin, they came with a tinted and a clear lens and some god awful Rockstar branding. I was never a fan of having brand names slathered all over things. I mean if you're actually being sponsored by them then fair enough, they give you money and free stuff, but I paid for these goggles so why should they get free advertising? I also once worked on a tour sponsored by Rockstar and we got all we could drink for free. Since then I don't touch the stuff. But they don't look too bad, and they fit well.

And they fit perfectly into the helmet. Plus I can leave the visor on for the highway ride to and from the trails!

So that's about all for now. Still waiting for the postie to deliver my Sidis. Hurry up already! I want to finally be one of those tossers that sit at the lights revving in full dirt gear on a sparkling clean bike!
Although she's looking a bit better after riding though a few muddy puddles in Dargo. Yes of course I went through them on purpose, how else am I supposed to build up street cred?