Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #8716
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
The 660 works perfectly. You just don't get the thumb wheel controls. I am using my 660 from my old bike on my GS.

Not only it works perfectly but charges the 660's battery as well !

On my GSW I've swapped the BMW GPS mount for the Zumo 660; not the whole mount just the central part ( with the BMW logo on it ) that that is similar to the one that comes with the Zumo 660.

The Zumo 660 has 2 wired headphones outputs: one is on the left side of the GPS under a rubber cap and the other, on a pig tail connected to the 660's mount. When mounted on the GSW GPS mount the unit's plug is not accessible as its blocked by the BMW's mount.

I did this so I can listen to music and driving informations through wired headphones (attached to the pigtails plug ) as I find bluetooth headphones cumbersome and with low audio quality.

It is fairly easy to do this as the mount is hold with 4 screws and nuts. I had to remove the right the bike's fairings to conect the power wires and to attach the headphone female plug to the bike where I plug the headphones.

Just thought I would share the idea.

Andre

atg screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 06:18 AM
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #8717
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
The 660 works perfectly. You just don't get the thumb wheel controls. I am using my 660 from my old bike on my GS.
Excellent thanks for that!
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #8718
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post

On my GSW I've swapped the BMW GPS mount for the Zumo 660; not the whole mount just the central part ( with the BMW logo on it ) that that is similar to the one that comes with the Zumo 660.

The Zumo 660 has 2 wired headphones outputs: one is on the left side of the GPS under a rubber cap and the other, on a pig tail connected to the 660's mount. When mounted on the GSW GPS mount the unit's plug is not accessible as its blocked by the BMW's mount.

I did this so I can listen to music and driving informations through wired headphones (attached to the pigtails plug ) as I find bluetooth headphones cumbersome and with low audio quality.

It is fairly easy to do this as the mount is hold with 4 screws and nuts. I had to remove the right the bike's fairings to conect the power wires and to attach the headphone female plug to the bike where I plug the headphones.

Andre
Another great tip! Very helpful thanks. The cheese and kisses thinks that blue tooth will fry my brain so I will try this.
Regards
AB
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #8719
Double_U
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post

Andre
I use my 660 on my previous bike wired too. Do I need to cut cables to switch mounts or can I simply disconnect the wires from the BMW mount? Can you post pictures how you did this? Tnx!

Wouter
Double_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8720
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRR View Post
Agreed. I test rode one on Friday out of South Sound BMW. Talk about sh*t eatin' grin. Did about a one hour ride (the shop was slow). For comparison I own a R1100GS, an '03 R1150R and I have ridden a friends 2007 R1200GSA and his 2011 Camhead. The GSW is a departure from the air cooled. I just thought BMW came up with it just to comply with emission standards and that it wouldn't be anything better than the camhead. Not so. It was planted and easy to ride, the torque kicks in right past idle. My advice is to not pour over all the little details and minutia of the bike (there are a lot of mode switch buttons and such). Just ride it with no preconceived notions about what you think it should be and have a good time. As usual, ymmv. Good luck, also, with your current bike.

Just got back from an hour long test ride.

This bike had all the bells and whistles. I liked most of it. My regular ride is an 1150GS first registered on the 29th of April, 2003, I've put 180000km on it since then.

It felt light, powerful and manoeuvrable. Everything worked easily. Because I am used to a tighter throttle and clutch lever, it took me a while to get more used to this, but an hour wasn't enough.

Things I liked:
Ergonomics, so much better, seat on high, nice and narrow.
Power, shit it goes.
Brakes, outstanding
Wind-shield, nice
Sound, much better than the old standard exhaust sound.
Cruise control, loved it.
Suspension

Things I can take or leave:
Gearbox, the way it shifts
Adjustable suspension, have not used the bike on gravel, so not sure.
The water-cooling, completely unobtrusive, didn't bother me at all.

Things I didn't like:
Instruments, it's harder to see what's going on, dials too small
Throttle, takes a while to get used to
Brake leaver, seemed to pull too far in, but was probably adjusted for a shorted fingered midget.
A lot of plastic, still like the over all look , though

Would I buy it? Yes, I would. However, the old bomber is still going strong and I like how it squads down and goes around corners.

Kokopelli screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 11:56 PM
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #8721
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Does anyone know if owning a 2008 BMW R1200GSA counts towards a loyalty discount for a BMW X5? They are advertising both the X5 and the R1200GS on the American website but even BMW call center doesn't know??

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
TommyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #8722
Larch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cool2 Another Test-Ride Reaction

[QUOTE=Kokopelli;21296845]Just got back from an hour long test ride.

Things I liked:
Ergonomics, so much better, seat on high, nice and narrow.
Power, shit it goes.
Brakes, outstanding
Wind-shield, nice
Sound, much better than the old standard exhaust sound.
Cruise control, loved it.
Suspension

Things I can take or leave:
Gearbox, the way it shifts
Adjustable suspension, have not used the bike on gravel, so not sure.
The water-cooling, completely unobtrusive, didn't bother me at all.

Things I didn't like:
Instruments, it's harder to see what's going on, dials too small
Throttle, takes a while to get used to
Brake leaver, seemed to pull too far in, but was probably adjusted for a shorted fingered midget.
A lot of plastic, still like the over all look , though

To add to Kokopelli's post from my own recent two-hour test ride:

I also liked the amazingly smooth final drive to the shaft—no driveline lash whatsoever!

I would move the Gearbox issues to "didn't like" (stiff and obdurate), and I would take the throttle off the "didn't like" list (I'm used to a very twitchy Tiger 1050 throttle, so the GS's throttle seemed fine to me).
Also I didn't like the very noticeable and intrusive high-frequency vibration that starts at about 5k, peaks at about 6k, and disappears by about 6.5k (i.e. at the most torquey/useful part of the range). Was this just a freak thing with this demo bike? (No one else seems to have mentioned it).
And I did not like the pathetic cheap little indicator switch that has virtually no "feel" to it, making you check the dash to see if the indicators are working.

Overall, I was mightily impressed, with the exception of the vibration: that might be a show-stopper for me.

Any other info. regarding high-frequency vibration would be appreciated. I have ridden GSs before, but not for long periods of time on the road.

Thanks!
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #8723
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_U View Post
I use my 660 on my previous bike wired too. Do I need to cut cables to switch mounts or can I simply disconnect the wires from the BMW mount? Can you post pictures how you did this? Tnx!

Wouter
Wouter;

Sorry I cano not post pictures yet... However, I wrote a tutorial on the procedure. Hope it will shine a light on how to do it.

Tutorial on how to switch the BMW Navigator IV for a ZUMO 660/665 on a R 1200 GSW

1 I suggest that before starting a photo is taken of the original GPS mount, with and without the GPS mounted. This way you will have a future reference to its position on the bike. The picture should be taken straight on showing also the bike's dashboard, again for future position reference.
2 Reove the left side fairing to gain access to the GPS connector. Notice that the GPS cable has 2 connectors, however only one is used.
3 Uncrew the 4 screws that hold the mount together. Be careful not to lose that back nuts. For future reference notice that these crews are only lightly tightened as the GPS's mount is rubber mounted.
4 Remove the mount and take to a clean, well lit area.
5 Unscrew all the philips crews that hold the front and back of the mount together.
6 Very carefully open both halves as there are 2 springs inside. One pressurizes the left side lever and the other pressures the top locking tab. Notice the springs positions.
7 To the same to the original ZUMO mount as it is necessary to switch the left side levers. On the BMW mount this lever is longer than on the ZUMO and its necessary to have the longer one to be alble to remove the ZUMO from the BMW mount.
8 Reassamble both mounts and safe keep the BMW original mount now with the short left lever.
9 Mount the modified ZUMO mount on your bike. Notice that if yoy adjust its angle properly it will be unlikelly that it will block the tach. (rpm meter).
10 If possible, instead of the original nuts, use self locking nuts with a nylon insert. As these shouldn't be over tightened the original nuts may come off.
11 You may either connect the ZUMO's wiring straight to the bike's battery or to the original BMW's GPS plug.
The first method has the advantage of leaving the bike's original wiring intact but the GPS will not be switched off by the ignition.
The second method requires that you cut and splice the ZUMO's wiring to the original BMW's wiring ( that was my personnal choice ).
12 Obviously the multi switch on the left handlebar will continue to not work with the ZUMO.
13 If you want to use the wired audio output, in fact the only reason to switch mounts, you may attach it to a convenient location for easy plug in. On my GSW I mounted it on the low black fairing turned down as to prevent rain to infiltrate.

Sorry abou eventual spelling mistakes but English is not my maiden language...

André
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #8724
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,531
[QUOTE=Larch;21297882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

To add to Kokopelli's post from my own recent two-hour test ride:

And I did not like the pathetic cheap little indicator switch that has virtually no "feel" to it, making you check the dash to see if the indicators are working.
Yeah, forgot to put that on my most hated list. BMW f'ked up with this one, because of a few whining journos with nothing else to complain about.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #8725
Perfpup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Discovered another little thing yesterday. Riding at around 40 mph with cruise control handsfree. The steering wheel is oscillating a bit. The wheel keeps going nice and straight, but the handlebars visually osscilate a bit. A bit strange and doesn't inspire confidence to ride handsfree.
Mine does the same thing and seems to be worse when deaccelerating in that same speed range. Wondering if it is the tires mine are the metz next tire?
Perfpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #8726
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

Nice yard!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #8727
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfpup View Post
Mine does the same thing and seems to be worse when deaccelerating in that same speed range. Wondering if it is the tires mine are the metz next tire?
Metzlers here to.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #8728
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Metzlers here to.
Same for me with Tourance Next. Very little oscillation. Nothing compared to my '05 LT.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #8729
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,037
Is this what the journalists whined about in S. Africa?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #8730
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Love this bike!

So I went to a local dealer (about an hour away in Lititz, PA) on Friday to ride their demo bike and absolutely loved it! It feels much better/sporty/lighter/comfortable than the Tenere and the Explorer, and I wanted to put $$ down on one as soon as I got back from testing it out. Problem is, that dealer doesn't have any coming in with the options I want (comfort, dynamic, cruise), so called around after I got home and found one that's almost perfect - everything except the color (white instead of Thunder grey). No big deal, so I put money on it right away. It's about and hour and a half away and gets to the dealer in about ten days. I can't wait!

Sorry to see my KLR go, but it's going to a friend so I know it's going to a good home.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote