ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Crap Joe, You should re-name this thread, "990 All in!"

I had to do my upgrades as I had money available, but I commend you in your enthusiasm and wallet!

I enjoyed my Dakar and had some good riding. I remember the day I decided to get a more powerful bike. I had taken my wife out for a ride and at a stop light I wound my way to the front of the 2 lanes between a mercedes and a cadillac. All was well. The light turned green and I tried to get out in front of the pack. Well, with the two of us on the bike BOTH cars beat me in the first 30 yards and passed me.

I told myself. Bullet proof yes. BMW yes. Cool red white and Blue yes. Better than 50 MPG yes. This bike has got to go. Yes.

Anyway, I am enjoying your thread.

DD
Lol... I was thinking of renaming it to something along the lines of "KaptinKaos' 990 Love Affair" or something,

I've been socking money away for a few years now for Dakar upgrades... As I really only need one "go-to" bike that I spend a lot of time and money and effort on and with me handing the reins of the Dakar to a friend of mine in a month or so I figured it's saved money that should into this project, ;) I don't really see it as expensive either if it's going into making this bike perfect for myself and my riding... Yes, it's a lot of money, but I spared the expense on the Dakar 6 years ago and it's always been nagging at me since. I get a fresh start so to speak with the 990 and I'm determined to not go halfway this time!

I love that Dakar... Sure, it has it's limitations, but it never let me down. It never puked oil on my shop floor. It never broke down in the middle of nowhere no matter how hard I flogged it. It didn't win any speed records and 3rd gear wheelies are out of the question unless you walk it from 1rst, 2-up travel is impossible and even some 1-up steep climbs at altitude were a struggle, BUT... It wasn't a KLR and it taught me a lot about riding heavier bikes without the abundance of power to hurt me bad or scare me off. I will miss it and it's first gear wheelies from every light in Calgary dearly... I still don't know how I'm really going to be able to part with the keys... Every nut, every bolt, every screw and every part on that bike has seen care and attention from me (except the water pump... it's a CHAMP!) There's even parts of the throttle body that I lent to a friend from the UK on his way through Alberta that traveled south on his bike and made their way back onto my Dakar via mail! Parts of this bike have gone further than I have and no one else has ever ridden it, lol!!!

Lol, I've spent almost the entire last 15 years single so I don't ride a lot of 2-up. The Dak was intended right from the get go as a 1-up travel machine with longevity, fuel mileage and comfort over time as the primary necessities. Somehow I ended up back at the motocross track with it a week after it left the dealer and proceeded to knock all the signals off and sky it out over the table top with about 10 riders stopped to watch... Sure, I traveled on it, but in the end the stuff I wanted to ride didn't change from dirt to pavement with a bit of dirt. I primarily rode the bike like it was a 450 and had a ton of fun!!! It taught me a LOT about myself as a rider, as a mechanic and also what I really wanted out of a bike. Did I want more out of it? More power? More suspension? No... It is one of those perfect bikes with just some minor armor and suspension tweaks.

You're right about one major thing though... I'm kidding myself and have been for years if I think for one minute that I belong in the fud crowd. The 3 core guys that I ride with always teased me about it and called me a yuppie, etc and they could get away with it. I constantly rebuked them and I was usually the lead rider on any given day unless we had a bunch of weekend warriors with us and I would hang back and make sure everyone was ok. I'm not big on forums and am more of a lurker and info searcher than anything... Riding is way more fun than typing tbh, lol! However, some of my best friends now, ex band mates and riders for life are from knowledge sharing here and on my local DS forum. I should put more back into the system and this thread is my start!

Bulletproof bikes or not, I've never been a fud... I just literally couldn't afford the KTM 690A when I bought the Dakar. This year the sale of the Dakar, an insane overseas tax break and tax return, socked away cash from the last 2 years and possibly a little extra combined with the mindset that this 990 will be everything I want and then some for at LEAST the next 5 years... It only makes sense to me. I spend it now or wish I had them till I buy a new bike. Hopefully there's a bit more about me as a person there and I hope none of this thread comes off in a "tooting my money-making horn" kind of way. I've waited a long time and worked a lot/sacrificed a lot of time at home to be able to do this, In no way, shape or form do I think any of these parts, farkles or mods are going to make me a better rider... I do know that I will appreciate the benefits of having them when I'm in the saddle though!

Cheers and thanks for reading and the encouragement! Helps these weeks in Albania go by a bit faster, ;)

Joe
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #32
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Whoops! Forgot to put a pic of the day... This is the guy that is buying the Dakar. That poor little DR got flogged just as hard as the Dakar and He's the only person I know that will ride it like I did and knows exactly where that Dak has been, lol!



He was so PROUD!
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #33
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
990 Canisterectomy-itis

4 hours of reading, many different posts and one hell of a better understanding of the 990's EFI and happy knowledge that removal of the SAS and a canisterctomy will take me all of an hour or so once I get a couple of plugs and resistors after I fit the Wings. This forum. It is the business.

Thank you Orange Crush!

Thank you FastEddy760!!! 990 EFI SAS Work-Bypass

And much thanks cpmodem!!! Canisterectomy

This just makes me itch for my shop and some tools and the 990 though...
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
BykBoy
Meshuganeh
 
BykBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Reston, VA
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Soon:
Suspension
Footpegs
Rekluse
Exhaust
Extended fuel solution of some sort

I can't say enough about the Rekluse EXP auto clutch. After the suspension upgrade from SPS and tires, it's right up there with the Scotts steering damper as the upgrade that had the greatest impact on my Dirty Dak's off road ability.

Never having to feather the clutch or stalling in the tight technical stuff is pure bliss.
__________________
Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE
BykBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Rekluse

Quote:
I can't say enough about the Rekluse EXP auto clutch. After the suspension upgrade from SPS and tires, it's right up there with the Scotts steering damper as the upgrade that had the greatest impact on my Dirty Dak's off road ability.

Never having to feather the clutch or stalling in the tight technical stuff is pure bliss.
Really? Greatest impact on you? Or the bike? I know they work well (a friend has one in his 08 KLR) and I'm not going to bash the product, but for myself if I took away the necessity of using my clutch it would make riding boring... Sure, easy is better, sometimes, for some people. I just could never bring myself to do it on any bike, lol! It would be like modifying my soul... Riding more technical stuff more often makes a rider better at riding, not an auto clutch. It doesn't make the bike any better either, it just becomes a safety net imho. I know, to each their own and as I said, not bashing anyone or Rekluse in anyway. Just expressing what I prefer,
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Overloaded?

Read enough today that I will NOT be ordering a windscreen for the 990 or thinking about changing the stocker until riding mine with it off for a few hundred miles and in some winds. I got to ride in some strong cross winds before I left and didn't notice anything really terrible... It was cold and rainy/snowy though and buffeting wasn't something I was concerned about, lol!
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Wind/Buffeting

That was with an Arai XD4 on with the brim also. I generally always ride with either a Bell MX or an Arai XD3. This year was time for replacing the street lid due to age and just the nasty smell of 5 years of sweat and dirt inside the old lids, lol! An orange/white/black Bell MX-2 and a white XD4 are the new lids of choice for my oddly shaped bean. Never had a white helmet before, but it looks sharp!



The Rallye 2 suit has been a stellar performer in temps ranging from -15C to +50C with the right base layers. I have zero complaints with it and never saw the need for heated gear, but it fits my friend who is buying the Dakar and kinda just belongs with the Beemer. Might need new GoreTex liners as the cuffs and collars are frayed, but the shell is only faded a bit. This year and hopefully for many years to come I am gonna rock the Klim gear. Lots of vents, one piece GoreTex (no more liners in and out), lots of pockets and Kevlar/Cordura in the right places with full armor. I hope the leather in the knees stands up as good as the kangaroo on the Rallye 2 though...

And a pic of the day to cool off this +30 spring heat here in Albania. This is a shot from a hill a few kms south of my back door. Calgary, AB. Was just dirt roads, small creek crossings and some slab to get a feel for the bike. Was a GREAT day!





Joe
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #38
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Suspension - Do? Or do not? (320mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Easily the best money spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
A damper is not intended to fix "twitchyness". And the last place you ever want to use it is going slow in soft sand... high speed sand in another thing.

And suspension should be first on any off-roaders mod list...


.
So the suspension has been nagging at me for a week now... You guys started this!!!

This was always an issue with the F650GSPD for me... I got the suspension work well enough with progressives and an oil weight of 12.5 in those little spindles they call forks, but I know now that I should have spent the money in the first place for triple trees and forks, etc... Now, the way I see it, I have two choices.

A. Ride it this year with stock suspension and live with that banging noise of the suspension bottoming out (I know this will happen as I still bottomed out the Dakar even after jacking it up and weighting everything hard...) and then ship it to PSP this fall when the snow flies for a revalve, etc.

OR

B. Mail Pyn back with my decision on 320mm... I can do the brake lines in the front end no problem and I'll weld and extra few cm's in the center stand. I've even already sourced an "S" sidestand...

The projected future of riding for this bike... It will definitely see some slab. I have friends that travel and they do so on adv bikes, but they chose to ride more tarmac than dirt. It makes me sad, but I like my friends so I'm not gonna push them to do something they are uncomfortable with. HOWEVER, I travel alone a lot and when I do I'm 90% off road. Gimme gravel, gimme dirt, gimme dust... Anything but pavement. Do I race? No. Not yet anyway. I have in the past and it's always been my idea to get into something a bit more competitive with my riding. We have local hare scrambles and small rallies that are a ton of fun and I would definitely use the 990 for those events. Am I Lyndon? No. Will I do the Baja? No(At least I have no plans to do it YET). But I wouldn't mind riding the route at less than race capacity. The bike will also see mountain trails, LOTS of mud, lots of high speed gravel, and I'm hoping to get it to some dunes.

I know what you're thinking... Am I just trying to justify this to myself? But I'm really asking if the 320mm is overkill. I'm not a super heavy guy... 170lbs geared. I'm no pro-racer. I would say my riding level is above average, maybe amateur race level. Is 320mm too much?

Right now I don't see any cons other than I will need to ride it a lot and enjoy it a lot and probably quit my job to marry it...

Smile of the day provided by a friend of mine Alex, different hole, different bike, same result!

__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #39
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,718
I just had to make the height decision myself, and surprised myself by choosing R height rather than S.

Even at S height, the seat is almost two inches lower than my RFS bike, so I know I can tolerate it. But this weighs a lot more, and I'm more likely to be loaded with gear and fuel, making it top heavy.

Further, according to SPS, most of the increased performance of the reworked suspension is a result of the springs and valving- the height is of far less benefit.

But here's the kicker for me- I find the seat-to-foot peg distance on this bike way too short for me. Increases the effort required to stand up- more knee pressure and more time in transition.

I want a taller seat, but a taller seat AND way tall suspension on a heavy loaded pig is too much for recreational riding. Recreational riding means I'm certainly capable of riding faster, but I strongly prefer to avoid injury and contribute to our happy home.

So. That was my choice- bike comes apart today.
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #40
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
I just had to make the height decision myself, and surprised myself by choosing R height rather than S.

Even at S height, the seat is almost two inches lower than my RFS bike, so I know I can tolerate it. But this weighs a lot more, and I'm more likely to be loaded with gear and fuel, making it top heavy.

Further, according to SPS, most of the increased performance of the reworked suspension is a result of the springs and valving- the height is of far less benefit.

But here's the kicker for me- I find the seat-to-foot peg distance on this bike way too short for me. Increases the effort required to stand up- more knee pressure and more time in transition.

I want a taller seat, but a taller seat AND way tall suspension on a heavy loaded pig is too much for recreational riding. Recreational riding means I'm certainly capable of riding faster, but I strongly prefer to avoid injury and contribute to our happy home.

So. That was my choice- bike comes apart today.
That is my worry... I lose the recreational aspect. I am in no way a Dakar Rallye racer. I dream big, but alas... My pockets aren't deep enough and my skill is less than pro. I am solving my arse to peg height isue with a Renazco. Hearing you say what you have leans me toward 265mm instead of 320mm. I too need to avoid injury if I can as my career depends on my health and that has always been the main reason I don't go further with my bikes. Cheers and tyvm!!!
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:26 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #41
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
The list of "To Do:"

It's getting longer and longer... But, I'm glad I have this time to research all of these things. Stuff like:

- Chain Slider (Drill out and bolt through with nylocs)
- Removing pesky anti-theft screws in gas caps
- The gear switch mod for 2nd/3rd gear
- Cutting down the rear mud guard a 1/4" (was an issue on my Dakar till I ripped it off somehow... )
- Drilling tiny holes in the back bottom of the swingarm

Again, if there are any other critical things you can think of that an owner of a brand new 990 can take care before getting waaaaaay out on the trails where something can bite me in the arse, please feel free to add it to this thread! I will most probably be editing/adding to the first or second post with a list of what will be/has been done to this 990 for my reference and anyone else.

Looking at spring rates for the stock measly 210mm height of the base 990 (In Canada it was the only new 990 available to us so I'm forced to build it up to what I need it for), but I can't find a decent weight to spring rate chart. I will most likely be tinkering with it until I take out the forks and shock this fall and send them to SPS (the Canadian suspension place I listed before didn't even reply to my email so... SPS it is, ) for a complete over haul to "S" (265mm) specs. If .48's are in them now, I should be able to bump them up to .54's with no issues. Might save a bit later when SPS redoes everything, might not...

I keep looking at toys for it too... an 8" OnX LED bar would be frackin' sweet on the front end, but I don't do a heck of a lot of night riding, or at least I try not too. We'll see how well the stock HID's and headlamp work together and I'll go from there. *tapping my toe for another 33 days till I get home...*

Smile of the day:



The Dakar beside my '79 R65 (sold a few years ago) all in pieces after I fixed up a mates Dakar and sent him on his way to Central America. It was getting on to winter and I wouldn't be riding for a month or more so the only thing I could think of better than riding was helping someone else continue THEIR ride! Was a few throttle body pieces he needed and a vacuum sensor. Turns out 100kms down the road he needed a fuel filter/regulator too... :(

Cheers
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #42
alongat
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 899
I was battling with myself about buying a standard (or Baja) 990 when I was shopping for a new one - ended up getting lucky when the person who had a deposit on the very last brand new 990R in Canada so that's what I bought (didn't care about the ABS) but just prior to that, I was looking at the OEM KTM suspension kit which raises the standard bike by 55mm to height of the "R". The cost of the kit was going to be about $600 and I was planning to install it myself so for me, it was an efficient way to get the suspension travel and ground clearance. Keep in mind that if you go this route, KTM has a disclaimer that the kit is not intended for ABS-equipped bikes but my dealer and I could not find any technical limitation to the ABS-equipped bikes. The only other considerations when raising the bike are having to extend stands or replace them with longer ones but you would have to go down that path regardless of what you use for raising the height. As for lighting options, there is literally a sea of choices for lighting and I've explored a ton of them. I ended up ordering a Euro-spec headlight and Piaa 510 SMR lights but most people are combining the Euro headlight with smaller, more efficient LED based lights and/or LED based light bars under the headlight housing (like the Baja or Rigid 6" LED lights with combination light patterns).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post

Looking at spring rates for the stock measly 210mm height of the base 990 (In Canada it was the only new 990 available to us so I'm forced to build it up to what I need it for), but I can't find a decent weight to spring rate chart. I will most likely be tinkering with it until I take out the forks and shock this fall and send them to SPS (the Canadian suspension place I listed before didn't even reply to my email so... SPS it is, ) for a complete over haul to "S" (265mm) specs. If .48's are in them now, I should be able to bump them up to .54's with no issues. Might save a bit later when SPS redoes everything, might not...

I keep looking at toys for it too... an 8" OnX LED bar would be frackin' sweet on the front end, but I don't do a heck of a lot of night riding, or at least I try not too. We'll see how well the stock HID's and headlamp work together and I'll go from there. *tapping my toe for another 33 days till I get home...*

Smile of the day:


Cheers
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #43
alongat
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 899
Oh, and by the way, if you are looking at a Canadian suspension builder, have you spoken with Mission Cycle near Angus / Barrie, Ontario? I don't know where in Canada you are but I do know that they have a lot of experience with KTM suspension builds of all sorts based on OEM and other aftermarket components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I was battling with myself about buying a standard (or Baja) 990 when I was shopping for a new one - ended up getting lucky when the person who had a deposit on the very last brand new 990R in Canada so that's what I bought (didn't care about the ABS) but just prior to that, I was looking at the OEM KTM suspension kit which raises the standard bike by 55mm to height of the "R". The cost of the kit was going to be about $600 and I was planning to install it myself so for me, it was an efficient way to get the suspension travel and ground clearance. Keep in mind that if you go this route, KTM has a disclaimer that the kit is not intended for ABS-equipped bikes but my dealer and I could not find any technical limitation to the ABS-equipped bikes. The only other considerations when raising the bike are having to extend stands or replace them with longer ones but you would have to go down that path regardless of what you use for raising the height. As for lighting options, there is literally a sea of choices for lighting and I've explored a ton of them. I ended up ordering a Euro-spec headlight and Piaa 510 SMR lights but most people are combining the Euro headlight with smaller, more efficient LED based lights and/or LED based light bars under the headlight housing (like the Baja or Rigid 6" LED lights with combination light patterns).
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #44
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Oh, and by the way, if you are looking at a Canadian suspension builder, have you spoken with Mission Cycle near Angus / Barrie, Ontario? I don't know where in Canada you are but I do know that they have a lot of experience with KTM suspension builds of all sorts based on OEM and other aftermarket components.
All the new 2013 Baja's are ABS free thank god, lol! I didn't get much grief from the system on the F650GSPD, but it was a PITA having to disarm it all the time and I didn't much feel like messing with the computers brain to get rid of it. Plus, I knew that when I sold it I could use it as fud fodder, :) I highly doubt this new 990 will ever see the inside of a dealer or shop other than my own... I jones hard to work on my bikes and I love to do so. For me it's comfort that I not only know things were done right, but also that if something breaks or goes wrong I should be able to identify, diagnose and fix it to get myself home. The LC8 is intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get along with it, lol!

The stands I can take care of. I'll lengthen the reach of both by the appropriate amount and rattle can it with gator guard when I'm done. I live in Calgary, AB and am gonna talk to my guys about getting me the parts to do it myself also. I love stuff like that, but on the other hand I'd love to have SPS set the fork valving for me as I never spent much time with it and have a limited knowledge base to work from. I'd love to learn, but would hate to waste that much riding time on learning if I suck at tuning the forks/shock in.

Thanks a TON for the tip on the Euro headlight conversion... That sounds like exactly where I should start! I hated the single bulb on the F650GSPD, but I lived with it. I put a set of PIAA 510's on and when I needed light there was a ton. The 2013 Baja's come with the KTM factory HID extra lights wired up, but the Baja Designs throw a ton more light... With the euro convert kit I might not want for much more unless I find myself riding more night time stuff... which I doubt I will. We have a LOT of animals on roads where I live at dusk and dawn so it's not great riding unless you like a moose or deer in your face, lol!

Cheers and thanks for your input!!!
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #45
alongat
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 899
I know everyone around here loves ktmtwins and others but I haven't found anyone who can sell the Euro headlight for as little as these guys:

http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/EC...%2F60014001000

Once I have mine installed, I will figure out if I want to bother adding an HID kit to the low beam since in the Euro headlight, low and high beams are separate bulbs. The 990 isn't that intimidating, it's just got an extra cylinder and a few more wires, etc here and there :)

As for the suspension on my 2012 R, I love it so far, don't find the front end soft like the standard 990 and I'm 6'3" and 218 pounds - not as hard core off road as you yet but getting there little by little...



Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
All the new 2013 Baja's are ABS free thank god, lol! I didn't get much grief from the system on the F650GSPD, but it was a PITA having to disarm it all the time and I didn't much feel like messing with the computers brain to get rid of it. Plus, I knew that when I sold it I could use it as fud fodder, :) I highly doubt this new 990 will ever see the inside of a dealer or shop other than my own... I jones hard to work on my bikes and I love to do so. For me it's comfort that I not only know things were done right, but also that if something breaks or goes wrong I should be able to identify, diagnose and fix it to get myself home. The LC8 is intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get along with it, lol!

The stands I can take care of. I'll lengthen the reach of both by the appropriate amount and rattle can it with gator guard when I'm done. I live in Calgary, AB and am gonna talk to my guys about getting me the parts to do it myself also. I love stuff like that, but on the other hand I'd love to have SPS set the fork valving for me as I never spent much time with it and have a limited knowledge base to work from. I'd love to learn, but would hate to waste that much riding time on learning if I suck at tuning the forks/shock in.

Thanks a TON for the tip on the Euro headlight conversion... That sounds like exactly where I should start! I hated the single bulb on the F650GSPD, but I lived with it. I put a set of PIAA 510's on and when I needed light there was a ton. The 2013 Baja's come with the KTM factory HID extra lights wired up, but the Baja Designs throw a ton more light... With the euro convert kit I might not want for much more unless I find myself riding more night time stuff... which I doubt I will. We have a LOT of animals on roads where I live at dusk and dawn so it's not great riding unless you like a moose or deer in your face, lol!

Cheers and thanks for your input!!!
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014