Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #2176
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I just did this tonight.
I drilled my puck all the way through both pieces the diameter of the bolt, on the bottom end I counter sunk the bolts by drilling a hole slightly smalle then the nut, then I just screwed it all together.
I hope that helps.
That's what I did.
Moving the shifter is a free-bie. Isn't that sweet
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #2177
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Is that with or without the insert?
It is with the insert. I won't bother taking it out.

I suppose I'm a little surprised by how loud the bike is for a thumper considering how quiet the stock pipe is.

I wonder though, if it's possible to simply pack the muffler with more insulation to quiet it down a bit. That might be an option.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #2178
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
It is with the insert. I won't bother taking it out.

I suppose I'm a little surprised by how loud the bike is for a thumper considering how quiet the stock pipe is.

I wonder though, if it's possible to simply pack the muffler with more insulation to quiet it down a bit. That might be an option.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll look elsewhere. I noticed that Arrow has a decent looking "homologated" can with a cat insert available. I'll be curious to find out how quiet this one is. Assuming it's quiet enough to sate the N.A. noise gestapo, it might be just the ticket to avoid a ticket.

BTW, the Moto3 bikes (250cc singles) sound like a bombing run on Dresden from WWII. It's amazing how loud a single can be, even a small-displacement one.

Trane Francks screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 04:35 PM Reason: Added Moto3 bike commentary
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #2179
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll look elsewhere. I noticed that Arrow has a decent looking "homologated" can with a cat insert available. I'll be curious to find out how quiet this one is. Assuming it's quiet enough to sate the N.A. noise gestapo, it might be just the ticket to avoid a ticket.

BTW, the Moto3 bikes (250cc singles) sound like a bombing run on Dresden from WWII. It's amazing how loud a single can be, even a small-displacement one.
My 2 cents is to leave the stocker if you want quiet. Save your money. If you start plugging up a perfectly good exhaust like the arrow or the leo vince you'll end up with the same exact thing as stock. I love the sound of my leo vince and I'm not into loud bikes. It sounds like an XR600. If you're looking for hp gains I'd ask your dealer if they dyno and program ECU's. I talked with Max and they think that is nuts. I agree. Perfectly good bike. More power? Get the 800
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2180
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
My 2 cents is to leave the stocker if you want quiet. Save your money. If you start plugging up a perfectly good exhaust like the arrow or the leo vince you'll end up with the same exact thing as stock.
I hear ya. I guess I just want something with a bit more presence than an aquarium pump.

Now, I'm off to see about those soft-compound tires that swamp told me about.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #2181
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
My 2 cents is to leave the stocker if you want quiet. Save your money. If you start plugging up a perfectly good exhaust like the arrow or the leo vince you'll end up with the same exact thing as stock. I love the sound of my leo vince and I'm not into loud bikes. It sounds like an XR600. If you're looking for hp gains I'd ask your dealer if they dyno and program ECU's. I talked with Max and they think that is nuts. I agree. Perfectly good bike. More power? Get the 800
Curious, did you find a difference in power with the Leo pipe? Myself, I found a noticeable difference in the low end torque while it seems to accelerate faster through the mid-range.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2182
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
instrument panel fixed

i posted in the regular G650GS thread also.

Turns out the panel was ok.... there was another problem.
I guess riding in some trails a wire for the rear brake light came loose... I may have kicked it with my boots ??? Who knows.. anyways it got chewed up into the front sprocket and was causing a short that kept blowing a series of fuses.

they fixed it all on warranty.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #2183
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
i posted in the regular G650GS thread also.

Turns out the panel was ok.... there was another problem.
I guess riding in some trails a wire for the rear brake light came loose... I may have kicked it with my boots ??? Who knows.. anyways it got chewed up into the front sprocket and was causing a short that kept blowing a series of fuses.

they fixed it all on warranty.
Nice, maybe they can help swamp loose the duct tape
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #2184
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Lol I think he just likes it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Nice, maybe they can help swamp loose the duct tape

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #2185
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
Curious, did you find a difference in power with the Leo pipe? Myself, I found a noticeable difference in the low end torque while it seems to accelerate faster through the mid-range.
I definitely notice a difference in the low and mid, which is what I was after. Haven't really opened her up yet as I don't really go there. I stick to back roads mostly. I'm not expecting wonders beyond 55mph though.

My point with noise is that the stock pipe is the most quiet you can find. Once you open a pipe up for more performance it will absolutely make more noise. It's breathing better. 94db is quiet. No aftermarket pipe (remus, arrow or leo vince) will blow that level. I don't think the leo vince is offensive at all and I think noise is an issue everywhere. I like that people out walking on dirt roads can hear me coming. I always idle by them and they appreciate that. I hold off the throttle till I'm well away from them. Even then I slowly take it up until I'm practically a 1/4 mile away. It's just the polite thing to do. People always wave and smile so I must be doing something right
Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #2186
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My point with noise is that the stock pipe is the most quiet you can find. Once you open a pipe up for more performance it will absolutely make more noise. It's breathing better. 94db is quiet. No aftermarket pipe (remus, arrow or leo vince) will blow that level.
Thanks. I'm not a stranger to the issue -- I was parts and accessories manager for a Kawasaki shop in Toronto for a number of years before coming to Japan and worked in the industry for quite a while. It just seems to be more difficult to find a compromise on sound these days. It's either an aquarium pump or a jack hammer. Worst of all, the manufacturers don't seem to like to post dB numbers. (Akrapovic is a pleasant stand-out there.)

I really appreciate your input, though. Hearing some guys say the pipe is earplug-loud and others say it's unobtrusive is valuable. Further complicating matters is that the Leo Vince and Arrow cans are both EU street-approved. Kinda browns my butt that a street-approved can in one realm can get you ticketed elsewhere. Stupid.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #2187
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,763
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Lol I think he just likes it

Good to hear you found the problema
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #2188
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Seat Rental Anyone?

I am in the process of scheduling my custom seat work with Renazco. Should be some time in July. Wondering if any of you guys with custom seats have an original laying around somewhere. I am asking because I know some just purchase another seat to avoid the down time. If yes, would you be willing to rent it out, while mine is being worked on? I know I can buy one on the flea market, but that seems silly to me.

I am in Northern NJ (next door to NYC).

windowto screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 09:33 AM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #2189
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
I am in the process of scheduling my custom seat work with Renazco. Should be some time in July. Wondering if any of you guys with custom seats have an original laying around somewhere. I am asking because I know some just purchase another seat to avoid the down time. If yes, would you be willing to rent it out, while mine is being worked on? I know I can buy one on the flea market, but that seems silly to me.

I am in Northern NJ (next door to NYC).
PM sent

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #2190
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
PM sent
Thank you Tom! You rock .