ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #11116
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Saweet!!! Came home to find the shelves I put up 5 years ago had fallen on my land cruiser. The good news is the only thing that made it to the hood was my snowboard with edges made of steel. Could have been worse, my wife is getting ready to buy a 2010 touareg this week.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #11117
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post
Saweet!!! Came home to find the shelves I put up 5 years ago had fallen on my land cruiser. The good news is the only thing that made it to the hood was my snowboard with edges made of steel. Could have been worse, my wife is getting ready to buy a 2010 touareg this week.
My first thought was that you had run into the wall...lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #11118
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Haha. It does look appear that way. I park that close so the bike can fit behind it. In the winter my bike sits in front of my cruiser. Hadn't even thought about that. Scary thing is, this one had the least amount of weight on it. Although over the recommended weight, I had doubled the fasteners that hold it to the wall.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #11119
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Ah man sorry to see that. I recognize a certain Adidas gym bag that you used on the Loose Nut 12' on one of the other shelves. Good times.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #11120
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,259
Shoulda fastened with duct tape.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #11121
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,447
thats the kinda thing that would happen to me too. only difference is... i would much rather all that crap fall on my klr... not my truck!

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #11122
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Agree...my luck though my bike would have then fallen onto my truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #11123
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Vintage show and swap Pierceton, IN on May 18

I'm planning to ride up to see the http://pierceton.us/event/vintage-motorcycle-show/ May 18 9am-3pm. Currently I plan to ride up day before, hopefully on my ct90, camp at Chain Of Lakes state park, see the show and ride home that afternoon/evening.

Details in flyer not shown on web link: In city park on St. road 13 by old railroad depot.

six classes pre 1960, 1961-1969, 1970-1979, 1980-1993, custom or modified, and best of show. bike entry fee $10 for first, $5 for additional entries.

bring spare parts to sell, no vendor fees
want to sell a bike?... no charge
free admission door prizes

Info jimvjmc@gmail.com pm me for his phone number
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #11124
knudsen
Peanut Gallery Sup.

Oddometer: 186
PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals? Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
A little get off while riding in Wayne NF yesterday. I think I had too much air in front tire. I've had a problem of the front end washing out for a while now so any advice from you guys would be appreciated. Tire is like new Dunlop MX51 still with sharp edges. :(

Hey pup, I'm not the best rider in the world, certainly not the fastest, but I don't crash much at all. Raising the tail and dropping the front has decreased trail. A lot of problems on a bike will mysteriously reverse symptoms and mock the opposite problem if they are wildly off. Also it looks almost like it's tucking, and you can accelerate out of that (easier said than done, especially with trees around, but might need to enter the turn slower and accelerate more as or before it starts to tuck). Third possibility could be rebound on the front. If it's got way too much damping on the rebound, it could be loading up on the bumps, never returning to normal ride height, then after a couple big bumps or a lot of smaller ones, you have pretty compressed forks, leading to even less trail. You might get some more ideas on suspension setup if you can have someone video you riding on some good bumps. You may also want to measure the trail.

Why is the preload cranked up all the way on the rear spring? You are way better off with some soft bottoming once in a while than with a harsh ride all the time, or worst, the geometry wacked.

Just something for you to think about. I've never even owned what I consider a really good trail bike, but I've ridden some good bikes, and I did play a dirtbike on TV Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a fork to strip down...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #11125
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals? Yummy!

Hey pup, I'm not the best rider in the world, certainly not the fastest, but I don't crash much at all. Raising the tail and dropping the front has decreased trail. A lot of problems on a bike will mysteriously reverse symptoms and mock the opposite problem if they are wildly off. Also it looks almost like it's tucking, and you can accelerate out of that (easier said than done, especially with trees around, but might need to enter the turn slower and accelerate more as or before it starts to tuck). Third possibility could be rebound on the front. If it's got way too much damping on the rebound, it could be loading up on the bumps, never returning to normal ride height, then after a couple big bumps or a lot of smaller ones, you have pretty compressed forks, leading to even less trail. You might get some more ideas on suspension setup if you can have someone video you riding on some good bumps. You may also want to measure the trail.

Why is the preload cranked up all the way on the rear spring? You are way better off with some soft bottoming once in a while than with a harsh ride all the time, or worst, the geometry wacked.

Just something for you to think about. I've never even owned what I consider a really good trail bike, but I've ridden some good bikes, and I did play a dirtbike on TV Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a fork to strip down...
Thanks! I weigh about 275# with gear so that's why I have the preload at max on the rear. I don't think I've ever bottomed it out though at least it doesn't ever feel like it. It has a pretty big bumper on it that might be masking the bottoming out. I'm going to set the preload back to stock and see what happens though. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #11126
Kevinj110
पवित्र गाय

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Quit lying that isn't a Land Cruiser. Its a Pink Panty Cruiser. This is my Land Cruiser. Nothing like horrible mileage and no question reliability.
Kevinj110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #11127
knudsen
Peanut Gallery Sup.

With 275# on a 2fity, you might need the preload cranked pretty well. If that's the case, you probably should look into a heavier spring. I think racetech has a spring rate calculator and a listing of stock springs. If it needs to be cranked, then the tail is not being risen with weight on, so you might do best to play with fork height on location and see if it helps or hurts. Also do the sag measurements and see if the preload needs to be cranked or if you can back off a bit. Does it pogo stick you, or ride good? If you need help on setup and adjustments, I've got some links to a couple of decent howto's. You might get it to ride real nice if you spend a day just adjusting and testing.

I consider the rubba bumper part of the suspension; in my book, it ain't bottoming unless it hurts your ass.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #11128
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
With 275# on a 2fity, you might need the preload cranked pretty well. If that's the case, you probably should look into a heavier spring. I think racetech has a spring rate calculator and a listing of stock springs. If it needs to be cranked, then the tail is not being risen with weight on, so you might do best to play with fork height on location and see if it helps or hurts. Also do the sag measurements and see if the preload needs to be cranked or if you can back off a bit. Does it pogo stick you, or ride good? If you need help on setup and adjustments, I've got some links to a couple of decent howto's. You might get it to ride real nice if you spend a day just adjusting and testing.

I consider the rubba bumper part of the suspension; in my book, it ain't bottoming unless it hurts your ass.
The ass end kicks up big time over bumps while standing so I guess it's pogo sticking. ;) I'm setting everything back to stock and then changing one thing at a time and then riding the same course over again. I'm pretty sure it needs stiffer springs too. I'll probably have to get the suspension worked on.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #11129
zamboni9
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Gnaw Bone this afternoon.
-Tyler
zamboni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #11130
knudsen
Peanut Gallery Sup.

Nice lookin' DRZ there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
The ass end kicks up big time over bumps while standing so I guess it's pogo sticking. ;) I'm setting everything back to stock and then changing one thing at a time and then riding the same course over again. I'm pretty sure it needs stiffer springs too. I'll probably have to get the suspension worked on.
If the back end is kicking, that's good in a way, it tells me you have too much preload, and therefore can probably setup with the spring you have. Anyone can adjust what they have themselves armed with some information. That is best to do exactly as you said, go back to the factory settings and work from there. If you get the sag set right, you'll be close.