Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #961
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 240
Another question ...

09' G650GS
Our state (mn) requires you to register your engine number at time of transfer. The only thing I can find is a short number on the way lower side of the left case. ? I can see a sticker up in front of the rear shock on the back right of the case .... a sticker ? please tell me Minnesota doesn't require me to remove the gas tank to verify this number ? WOuld the stealership have this info ?

....and would still appreciate an education on what a factory lowered bike involves to restore to normal height...asked in previous post.

Thank you !

[edit]
Ok - I found it. If you look a little deeper under the left case you will see an engraved engine number. Not cast in, but a dot engraving.
Lowering: looking at parts fiche and don't like what I see. Thought this would just be links, spacers or springs etc. Nice clean bike and may have to trade it off already. :\

GordyMN screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 07:30 PM
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #962
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Good morning Irish. Over 40 years ago I spent some time where you are. I really didn't like it much but I sure was in good shape when I left!

Hey, all the parts on your bike are used anyway. Other used parts are always available on the net. You CAN rewire that thing. Heck you have a new battery to start with. Do the research. You'll be happy with the project when you're done. Take your time and good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Son View Post
Help me Oprah Winfrey, Help me Tom Cruise!!!

Let me start off by saying that I'm more or less an idiot, probably more rather than less. So now that that's out of the way and I've admitted my stupidity please don't bring it up again.

While installing a non MOE battery on my secondary G650 this weekend I didn't happen to notice that the battery post were reversed from a standard BMW battery. I hooked it up and before I could disconnect the wiring system was literally flaming and smoking. I called my dealership and they said that the cost of a new wiring harness was $1200 and with labor and perhaps even a new computer it'd be pushing $3000 to repair. My insurance told me to get bent and I'm sitting here looking even more stupid.

My question is this, with my limited monkey skill and a used wiring harness could I rewire my bike? Is it worth it? Are there any kindergarten level guides I could use? Or am I basically screwed? Also, will my wife ever forgive me for flushing money continually down the toilet?

Sincerely,

Embarrassed, Ashamed, and Singed...
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #963
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Is the front low fender necessary? I mean, other than keeping the bike clean underneath, any horrible horrible things that could go wrong if I remove it?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #964
Sight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
Is the front low fender necessary? I mean, other than keeping the bike clean underneath, any horrible horrible things that could go wrong if I remove it?
Without it on I find the front tire slings water/mud up in front of you and you end up driving into it. you may need to get the extension for the upper fender.
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #965
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Even with the extension, you'll still get mud in your face/windshield/headlight. Plus you're adding weight to a known weak point on the bike. Personally, I'd keep the lower fender as long as it isn't causing you grief.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #966
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
i ripped mine out. had to because of the 21 inch front rim. I did add the sertao style front fender extension which helps a lot... but you still get a little splash... mostly hit the headlight and the windshield.

it looks rad with out it... but it does serve a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #967
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Instrument Panel issue fixed

So I got my bike back from the dealership.

Turns out the panel was ok.... there was another problem.
I guess riding in some trails a wire for the rear brake light came loose... I may have kicked it with my boots ??? Who knows.. anyways it got chewed up into the front sprocket and was causing a short that kept blowing a series of fuses.

got the bike back now - 24 hr turn around

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #968
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyMN View Post
09' G650GS

....and would still appreciate an education on what a factory lowered bike involves to restore to normal height...asked in previous post.

Thank you !

Lowering: looking at parts fiche and don't like what I see. Thought this would just be links, spacers or springs etc. Nice clean bike and may have to trade it off already. :\
no idea on the lowered bike Q i thought they just used a lower seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post

I guess riding in some trails a wire for the rear brake light came loose... I may have kicked it with my boots ??? Who knows.. anyways it got chewed up into the front sprocket and was causing a short that kept blowing a series of fuses.

glad you got that problem sorted out
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #969
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post

Good to hear, and glad you got such great service.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #970
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Son View Post
Help me Oprah Winfrey, Help me Tom Cruise!!!

Let me start off by saying that I'm more or less an idiot, probably more rather than less. So now that that's out of the way and I've admitted my stupidity please don't bring it up again.

While installing a non MOE battery on my secondary G650 this weekend I didn't happen to notice that the battery post were reversed from a standard BMW battery. I hooked it up and before I could disconnect the wiring system was literally flaming and smoking. I called my dealership and they said that the cost of a new wiring harness was $1200 and with labor and perhaps even a new computer it'd be pushing $3000 to repair. My insurance told me to get bent and I'm sitting here looking even more stupid.

My question is this, with my limited monkey skill and a used wiring harness could I rewire my bike? Is it worth it? Are there any kindergarten level guides I could use? Or am I basically screwed? Also, will my wife ever forgive me for flushing money continually down the toilet?

Sincerely,

Embarrassed, Ashamed, and Singed...
Yes, I think you can reinstall the harness, if you can find one. BMW DVD manual takes you through the procedure step by step. Not really that difficult. There is a main harness and a tail section harness. Just a bunch of tie raps and electrical plug/connectors. You can get the DVD manual from Amazon (or BMW) for about $110, or I can send you a PDF of the relevant pages.

Can't really help you with your wife though, sorry.

Good luck!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #971
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

TT Radiator Guards

Has anyone added the touratech rad guards.

Wondering if the bike over heats?

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #972
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Talking Hot start

I am very impressed with BMW and their roadside assistance program. They will pick up my bike from my driveway, cart it to Toronto (350 KM one way) bring to my dealer which is not the closest. Once the bike is fixed as per bulletin, I will call them, they will pick it up at the dealer and bring it back to me. I just saved two trips to Toronto, two days off work etc... I had my doubts at first but I see that that once things fall into place, it all seems to work out. Maybe it was the right choice after all.
Even the service manager answered on the first ring. Great way to start the week!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #973
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 193
Sprocket and chain

So..., was looking at the sprocket while oiling the chain recently and see I definitely need a new sprocket! I know its wise to replace the chain as well, should I change the front sprocket as well? Any suugestions on where to purchase said sprocket(s) and chain?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #974
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Go ahead and change them all out.
In the vendor area on F650.com, Prof Steve has a great deal on a 49/16 sprocket set and RK chain.
I highly recommend the 49 rear size.
It's the single best thing I've done to the bike. No more lugging in lower gears, you can climb technical terrain in 2nd gear and on twisty roads the rpms are up in the power range.
I really think this is the way the bike should have come from the factory...but with a 6th gear too!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #975
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 193
How will this affect MPG? Is that an O ring chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Go ahead and change them all out.
In the vendor area on F650.com, Prof Steve has a great deal on a 49/16 sprocket set and RK chain.
I highly recommend the 49 rear size.
It's the single best thing I've done to the bike. No more lugging in lower gears, you can climb technical terrain in 2nd gear and on twisty roads the rpms are up in the power range.
I really think this is the way the bike should have come from the factory...but with a 6th gear too!