ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #22696
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
rammount offers an aquabox for cell phones to keep them waterproof while on the handlebars. i have a rammount on my SV and my DL and love it. works well for GPS.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #22697
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 77
Speaking of HD, I am looking to sell my 2009 ultra. Got the bike when I did more 2 up riding with my wife. But now that she is riding her own, I'm looking more for a mostly one up, sport tourer.

I have looked at the 2013 fjr (handle bar risers?), honda st (where to try and buy???), bmw 1200 rt (nice low seat, but how reliable is the shaft drive and isn't a new one coming out?). Am I missing some other option?

Clearly, still at research stage, so I'd love some input, suggestions, experiences.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #22698
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
Speaking of HD, I am looking to sell my 2009 ultra. Got the bike when I did more 2 up riding with my wife. But now that she is riding her own, I'm looking more for a mostly one up, sport tourer.

I have looked at the 2013 fjr (handle bar risers?), honda st (where to try and buy???), bmw 1200 rt (nice low seat, but how reliable is the shaft drive and isn't a new one coming out?). Am I missing some other option?

Clearly, still at research stage, so I'd love some input, suggestions, experiences.
You won't see a new BMW RT for about 18 months in the states, maybe 12 months, but the plan is for the GS to test the waters before changing the line up. BMW has finally solved the rear end issues, now they have fuel pump controller issues, it is always something when you push technology far to fast.

You can look at a Moto Guzzi Norge and a Kawasaki Concours C14 as they are both Sport Touring as well. Both of those bikes are built proof.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #22699
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Looking for VA Motorcycle license plates

OK Inmates, I'm looking for two VA License plates, one of each 1979 and 1974.

Was going to put antique tags on my old Guzzi's but the restrictions for the antique plates suck, the bike can not be more than 250 miles from my home.

My only other choice is to run vintage tags on the bikes, that way I can insure them on the cheap.

Any ideas on where to find some old M/G plates?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #22700
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post

I got an '06 FJR that I'll make you great deal on (about 1/2 the price of new). All set up for touring! Bar risers are already installed!
roger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #22701
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post

Was going to put antique tags on my old Guzzi's but the restrictions for the antique plates suck, the bike can not be more than 250 miles from my home.

My only other choice is to run vintage tags on the bikes, that way I can insure them on the cheap.

pretty sure it is same restrictions, they just allow you to use your own tags. i may be mistaken though.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #22702
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
You won't see a new BMW RT for about 18 months in the states, maybe 12 months, but the plan is for the GS to test the waters before changing the line up. BMW has finally solved the rear end issues, now they have fuel pump controller issues, it is always something when you push technology far to fast.
Solved the fd issue? I thought they solved that in 2000, 2005, and one more time in 2007?

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #22703
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

This video may help you wrap your mind around it. There is another one I cannot seem to find that helped me 'get' it. The key is that the rotating structure is on a movable axis. If it is on a fixed axis it will not work. Since the tires are attached to suspension, it works in this case. The key is that when the tire starts to spin fast enough to vibrate, the beads move around randomly, and they happen to land in spots that reduce the vibration. The beads in essence 'migrate' to the locations that stop the vibrations. Then they stop moving.
I am in on a bucket o' beads as well. This is the video I saw a couple of years ago that allowed me to believe in this magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I

Not dyna-beads, but a similar model of a product for large trucks. They freeze frame some shots to show you where the beads move to. This idea seems like a great idea for all vehicles. That is until a bunch of beads end up on a road surface and mingle with traffic.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #22704
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:

PM sent. For anyone looking for authentic vintage/antique MC plates, I know a guy who collects them and sells them. Just PM me and I'll send you his email.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #22705
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Pissed

Hey guys... I heard something through the grapevine that I wanted to pass on as a precaution. A guy came through the car wash today that I hadn't met before and we got to talking about bikes. Apparently he has a couple KTMs that he rides around at the TG. Well this past week he heard about a guy getting his truck stuck near the railroad tracks, driving along side them. Apparently that brought a bunch of recent attention to the area. This guy lives right near there and was an older guy so I don't think he was jerking my chain.

Apparently his wife works right over near the Martin's and she saw a whole grip of authorities over there, from Land Management to local cops, with a big black SUV and a damn paddy wagon right over in the corner of the lot where people usually enter.

There are only a couple of ways out of there and I just wanted you all to know the risks. I'm damn sure not risking my new bike and daily driver for a few hours of fun. Guess I'll be heading to the mountains a bit more often than I figured this summer.

Just wanted to throw it out there. Be careful boys.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #22706
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Hey guys... I heard something through the grapevine that I wanted to pass on as a precaution. A guy came through the car wash today that I hadn't met before and we got to talking about bikes. Apparently he has a couple KTMs that he rides around at the TG. Well this past week he heard about a guy getting his truck stuck near the railroad tracks, driving along side them. Apparently that brought a bunch of recent attention to the area. This guy lives right near there and was an older guy so I don't think he was jerking my chain.

Apparently his wife works right over near the Martin's and she saw a whole grip of authorities over there, from Land Management to local cops, with a big black SUV and a damn paddy wagon right over in the corner of the lot where people usually enter.

There are only a couple of ways out of there and I just wanted you all to know the risks. I'm damn sure not risking my new bike and daily driver for a few hours of fun. Guess I'll be heading to the mountains a bit more often than I figured this summer.

The training ground properties are owned by HMK LLC and Development Associates of Va LP.

The President of both companies is Johnathan Pearl. He works at GSC Corporate, which is right around the corner from the TG on Hathaway Rd (all three companies have the same address).

(this is all public info BTW, figured it out with a bit of Googling) We should ask for permission.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #22707
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,366
back when I used to ride there it was known the area is patrolled. rpd has dual sports and will write you for trespassing.....FYI I'm not saying go or don't ....
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #22708
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Sounds like the guy may have been running from the cops. I doubt all that manpower was used to wrangle a trespasser. Whether we ask permission to use this place or not, others are going to use and abuse the TG.
I'm amazed that place wasn't closed off years ago when there was an article in a "Best Of" issue of Syle listing it as the best place to go off-roading. When I saw that (in about '04) I figured that was going to be the last time I rode there.

BTW; I'm still digging around about the beads. Probably won't have to drop more than $80 for some from what I'm seeing.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #22709
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Anyone out there got a solder sucker? I've got to replace a fuse holder on a circuit board.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #22710
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,042
Ride Info

We need you. Again this year my company is leading a Bridge Ride for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. It's a motorcycle tour through the countryside around Fredericksburg VA, designed to go over or under as many bridges as possible. The $$ come from the riders either donating or collecting pledges for each bridge we cross. The only rule is every rider has to generate some kind of donation (last year we did 60 bridges and raised over $2,500). Other than that, it's open to anyone - employees, friends, customers, passengers, any bike, anybody who can safely handle an intermediate-level ride of 4 to 5 hours, including several butt breaks. We'll stay off major highways and aim for twisty country roads; relaxed pace, but RAIN OR SHINE, we still go. ALL proceeds go to our Company Relay for Life team.

The 2013 Bridge Ride is the afternoon of Thursday 9 May, so now is the time to sign up to ride, to pledge, or to donate. I'll update the list of riders as it builds so you know who to pledge, or you can reply to this message with your pledge or donation. Again , we need you to make this even better than last year! Thanks for making a difference

Please PM me with your Name and email so we can pass you more info.

REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote