Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #4546
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I may be dating myself here....

I went from a 75 DT250 Yamaha 2-stroke to a 78 SR500 Yamaha four stroke. I remember the first time I let off the throttle at speed, I was amazed at the engine braking. It was like I threw it into reverse!

2 strokes just free wheel.

I miss the old oil burners.
2-smokes may yet come back, there's some pretty sophisticated electronics, to "clean up" all that blue smoke. The new generation Ossa, has this (though it's not street, trials), and I think they cleaned up Evenrude boat motors with slick electronics.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 10:12 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #4547
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Speedo DRD

Got mine in today after only coming back in the house maybe 7 times to get more tools that I didn't think I would need. The left side evap canister bolt was on really tight, but at least I could get a socket on it. Right side, not so much. The bolt is so close to the exhaust, there's no way to get a socket in there. I tried an open end 10mm, but was afraid of stripping it, and I don't have a 10mm box wrench. After looking on Ramz site, I could get a better idea of where the connector was. I ended up taking the right side cover off, and taking the bolt that holds the brake reservoir off, and putting it aside. Then unplug a hose that goes (I think) to the air box. It was tight, but I got at it. You have to pinch the tab, and pull. Then pull it to the other side of the bike to get the connector apart. I had the heat cover off the header pipes to see if it would help getting at the evap can, but that wasn't necessary. What was necessary, was another trip in the house to get anti seize. There's a video on the 12 o'clock labs site to show how to program it. I zeroed the trip meter, and the Garmin, took a ride, then plugged those 2 numbers into the calculator on the website.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #4548
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Ek tuning?

Received my fmf header/muffler/ejk/sprocket kit.
Install was all easy, backfires and runs pretty rough on deceleration.
I haven't changed the settings so its set just like all the others.
Anyone else have this backfiring?
Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #4549
greenboy 667
slower than dirt

Oddometer: 21
When it backfires it means you are hitting too lean.

I want an FX Bikes Mountain Moto Expedition

Living vicariously through your trip reports
greenboy 667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #4550
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
After getting out of the snow at home and riding a couple days at Big Bend, I've really noticed how abruptly the bike slows down when I back off of the throttle. I usually like some engine braking but this is quite severe where the bike pretty much dives almost to a stop.

Does this sound like what your bike does?

I was thinking about disconnecting the throttle return cable and seeing if that made a difference (so that the throttle isn't pulled back so hard when I ease up). Has anyone done that?

Thanks!

Is this your first FI bike?

Generally comments like this come from folks who have one for the first time, when you chop the throttle on FI bike there very little/no fuel going through the injector and the engine braking is more pronounced than with a carb'd bike, that also adds to why we get better MPG. All my bike are FI and feel similar to what your saying and I've seen lots of comments on the BMW forums from folks coming from a old school bike just like yours.
It's something you get used to, even depend on when coming to a stop.
I wouldn't disconnect the throttle return cable, but that's just me. If you think there's a real issue with it stalling then take it to the dealer and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
17.5 peak hp with the fuel controller and stock exhaust? That's pretty weak. The Thai measured 18 hp for the CRF250L completely stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0i1z67Vf9U

Dunno really.
Don't really care much either, we have a Bazzaz controller because I got it for free, I have no investment in the unit and don't owe Bazzaz anything.... I'm pretty impartial when it comes to them. If the results were anything different than what I feel I would say so, I have no problem speaking my mind. While enjoying the results we didn't buy this bike just to see what could be squeezed out of it, I'd have bought a Husky 310 if I though Nancy needed a higher performing bike, but the extra mid-range grunt from the controller is welcomed and obvious.

Maybe read up on the Bazzaz dynamometer to find answers, their's doesn't over inflate the results. Dyno results might seem like cold hard evidence when read online, but without knowing first hand about the dyno itself comparing their results to another is subjective, I know road racers who tune with the Bazzaz dynamometer because of it's accuracy compared to other ones, personally would I trust the ones that are most conservative if basing a purchase on numbers, but i'm not really the "tuner" type of rider and that's just speculation.

If folks with the EJK are happy, great, I would imagine the results are very similar as with what I feel with the Bazzaz, regardless of the varying numbers found on youtube.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 01:09 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #4551
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Is this your first FI bike?

Generally comments like this come from folks who have one for the first time, when you chop the throttle on FI bike there very little/no fuel going through the injector and the engine braking is more pronounced than with a carb'd bike, that also adds to why we get better MPG. All my bike are FI and feel similar to what your saying and I've seen lots of comments on the BMW forums from folks coming from a old school bike just like yours.
It's something you get used to, even depend on when coming to a stop.
I wouldn't disconnect the throttle return cable, but that's just me. If you think there's a real issue with it stalling then take it to the dealer and see what they have to say.

Good luck!
Dunno really.
Don't really care either, we have a Bazzaz controller because I got it for free, I have no investment in the unit to defend and don't owe Bazzaz anything.... I'm pretty impartial when it comes to them. If the results were anything different than what I feel I would say so, I have no problem speaking my mind. While enjoying the results we didn't buy this bike just to see what could be squeezed out of it, I'd have bought a Husky 310 if I though Nancy needed a higher performing bike, but the extra mid-range grunt from the controller is welcomed.

Maybe read up on the Bazzaz dynamometer , their's doesn't over inflate the results. Dyno results might seem like cold hard evidence when read online, but without knowing first hand about the dyno itself comparing their results to another is subjective, I know road racers who tune with the Bazzaz dynamometer because of it's accuracy compared to other ones, personally would I trust the ones that are most conservative if basing a purchase on numbers, but i'm not really the "tuner" type of rider.

If folks with the EJK are happy, great, I would imagine the results are very similar as with what I feel with the Bazzaz, regardless of the varying numbers found on youtube.
LOST RIDER: It certainly all boils down to the altitude, ambient barometer, air temperature conditions and how the dynamometer operator & software corrects the power for these conditions. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has a procedure for this...if everyone used this, there would be no pissing & moaning. BUT....most don't.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #4552
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
I was hoping you'd shed some more light on this since you are one of the few in here that has professional experience in the matter.
Methinks the only way to really have an accurate comparison between controllers, exhaust or other mods would be to have them all done on the same machine in the same conditions, or at least using the same standards you mentioned.
Bazzaz seems to be very conservative in their results and with their reputation I believe what they say based on my butt dyno. An obvious improvement in mid ranger performance, but it didn't magically transform the LRP into a race bike either.
Lots of marketing hype when it come to dynos online, especially by people trying to sell you something, I never got into serious tuning of bikes, I much prefer to ride them than tinker.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #4553
greenboy 667
slower than dirt

Oddometer: 21
Any testing that's done to referenced standards still manages differ slightly when calibrations drift or the testers use different samples, if it's anything like loudspeaker testing. Which, as Lost Rider infers is more often than not used as a marketing tool rather than an honest comparison tool...

I sure found that to be true with aftermarket pipes on quads. Some of the bigger claims went with pipes that seemed nearly identical to ones with conservative claims. After i went through a few I found the stockers were often better at trail riding anyway -- and certainly less annoying when near private property boundaries.

I want an FX Bikes Mountain Moto Expedition

Living vicariously through your trip reports
greenboy 667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #4554
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I was hoping you'd shed some more light on this since you are one of the few in here that has professional experience in the matter.
Methinks the only way to really have an accurate comparison between controllers, exhaust or other mods would be to have them all done on the same machine in the same conditions, or at least using the same standards you mentioned.
Bazzaz seems to be very conservative in their results and with their reputation I believe what they say based on my butt dyno. An obvious improvement in mid ranger performance, but it didn't magically transform the LRP into a race bike either.
Lots of marketing hype when it come to dynos online, especially by people trying to sell you something, I never got into serious tuning of bikes, I much prefer to ride them than tinker.
Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned is "improvement in mid range" is what I wanna hear. I got the EJK....have yet to put it on...just piling on mileage to get to 600 and add it then. So far, mine has very nice torque...for a 250, and if I get some more as it breaks in, then with EJK, then maybe a touch with air filter & snorkel....I will be a real happy CRF owner!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #4555
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh kood View Post
Would some one mind telling me where I can order a 42 tooth rear sprocket? I tried to order a JT sprocket; but it seems the only size they have is 45 or 48. That was for the XR650L, which I believe fits the 250.

Thanks
Sprocket Center: http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#gearing

Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #4556
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I second this recommendation. Chad at Sprocket Center is a class act.

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...ket-honda.html
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #4557
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Air filter/snorkel mod

I have removed the backfire screen but yet to mod the snorkel.
Is the snorkel mod I hear about just cutting off the bottom inside the box?
Would it really make a diff to cut off 3" of snorkel? I could see if it changes direction of air flow but it doesn't.
What were bdsb's instructions for the airbox?.crf's only kit didn't come with any
Was also going to ask about th o2 sensor but I see on ejk's home site they recommend to leave it on as they did not note any dif on/off during their testing.
Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #4558
Dago52
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot77 View Post
I have removed the backfire screen but yet to mod the snorkel.
Is the snorkel mod I hear about just cutting off the bottom inside the box?
Would it really make a diff to cut off 3" of snorkel? I could see if it changes direction of air flow but it doesn't.
What were bdsb's instructions for the airbox?.crf's only kit didn't come with any
Was also going to ask about th o2 sensor but I see on ejk's home site they recommend to leave it on as they did not note any dif on/off during their testing.
For some reason I cannot access BDSB's Honda section on their website. But, I removed the snorkel and unplugged my O2 sensor. I did feel a difference with the O2 sensor unplugged.

My mods are: EJK Programmer, FMF Q4 muffler, Megabomb Header, backfire screen removed, 13/43 Sprockets.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4559
Brandon805
Get the camera

Oddometer: 12
just ordered Q4. Very excite. Can't wait to dump this load that is my exhaust can onto the garage floor.

Who wants to loan me their fuel programmer hmmm??? In exchange, I will supply
Brandon805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #4560
Dago52
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon805 View Post
just ordered Q4. Very excite. Can't wait to dump this load that is my exhaust can onto the garage floor.

Who wants to loan me their fuel programmer hmmm??? In exchange, I will supply
After my mods it feels like a new bike. I enjoy it twice as much now.