Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Cousteau OP
...seeking adventure

Oddometer: 61
Costa Rica into Panama - making it to David

I left on Saturday morning heading south towards the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. That morning around 5am I heard some shuffling in the house as Carolina, Carlos and the two girls were preparing themselves for the Church Retreat and little before 6 they were out the door. I had said my goodbyes the night before.

Set Waze and started out of the city. Today's ride was down to the Costanera. One of my colleagues from Faryvet said the road was in great condition and goes all along the coast. This was going to be an epic ride - and it didn't disappoint.

The road eased in and out of the curvatures the sea had cut into the rock. In some spots you were driving through hills in the tropical jungle and in others right along the beach. I stopped a few times on the shoulder just to take it in. Simply spectacular views with the cooling breeze from the surf a light taste of salt.

All fabulousness stopped suddenly after lunch when the downpour started. This would continue for the next four hours. I must have been having too much of a good time, so the rain gods decided to lay in hard and follow along my route. By 5:30 pm when I was nearing the border between Costa Rica and Panama, the rain killed off what little daylight that was left. To cross I had to waddle through pools of rainwater, getting insurance and then processing the bike into the country.

An hour later when I finished the last of the stamps on the last of the paperwork, the rain had subsided and I entered what could have easily been the United States.

From small two lane non-painted roads without shoulders in Costa Rica, I was welcomed into Panama with a huge four lane highway with lights… all the way to David. I made it there within an hour and drove towards the center. It was time to find a place to put my head for the night. I followed a taxi and at a stoplight I pulled up to him and asked if he knew of an inexpensive hotel and said I would follow him. He pulled out when the light turned green and we started weaving through traffic, zig zagging from block to block for about 15 minutes until we pulled up to a nice little hotel with parking out back. Perfect! I gave the taxi driver $2 and headed in the check-in. Dropped the grear in the room , put on some shorts, and headed for a bite to eat. It had been a long day.
Facebook
Twitter: @2wheelchronicle
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote