Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
A new carb? These things are so simple it is not rocket science. Set the carb in Pinesol or a chem dip and clean out all the passages. I agree with buls4evr. The crank seals are more than likely hard and need replaced. They are not pliable anymore. It is cheap insurance to get it to run right.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
I do not agree with Twinshocker in this case. Crankseals that old have pretty much turned to hard plastic at the seal face. If you can replace them ,do so and save yourself hassles later on. May likely be a difference in philosophy as I believe you might as well eliminate that problem BEFORE that ethanol eats them up. Seals do not age gracefully in 2 strokes that have been sitting around for decades.
Agree!!! Everytime I "Assume" that the seal will work, the lips get ripped off with the first few revolutions of the crank. Trans seals don't do much better. Replace the seals and don't look back.

Not sure why you would have to replace the carb....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #18
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider View Post
Agree!!! Everytime I "Assume" that the seal will work, the lips get ripped off with the first few revolutions of the crank. Trans seals don't do much better. Replace the seals and don't look back.

Not sure why you would have to replace the carb....
If the crank seals are not leaking or damaged in any way replacing them is pointless. Pressure testing the crankcase will show whether the seals are leaking or not, and will save time and expense which might not be required.

Contrary to popular belief carbs which have been unused for some while may need to be replaced, if very fine internal passages are blocked, and the blockages cannot be removed by something like ultrasonic cleaning.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If the crank seals are not leaking or damaged in any way replacing them is pointless. Pressure testing the crankcase will show whether the seals are leaking or not, and will save time and expense which might not be required.

Contrary to popular belief carbs which have been unused for some while may need to be replaced, if very fine internal passages are blocked, and the blockages cannot be removed by something like ultrasonic cleaning.
Not going to get in a pissing match here. That being said, there are "If's" and "May's" in your advice given here. We all know that diagnostics online fall short of hands on first hand experience.
The suggestions that Scootern29, Buls4evr and I have made are based on our experience with 2 stroke motors. You bring up some good points and testing procedures, but a 40 year old TC/TS100 could use a little freshening up with new seals. If they aren't leaking when tested today, they surely will be leaking in the near future given the properties of todays gas....
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Not going to get in a pissing match here. That being said, there are "If's" and "May's" in your advice given here. We all know that diagnostics online fall short of hands on first hand experience.
The suggestions that Scootern29, Buls4evr and I have made are based on our experience with 2 stroke motors. You bring up some good points and testing procedures, but a 40 year old TC/TS100 could use a little freshening up with new seals. If they aren't leaking when tested today, they surely will be leaking in the near future given the properties of todays gas....
Careful twinshocker is the pissing match king

I agree with ya Willie . My ty175 sat for 20+ years after a little service it ran great. About 40miles into its first real trail ride in decades the flywheel side seal started sucking air and melted here down. About a $125 mistake. Next old bike is getting seals ASAP . It was so easy to replace I was pissed I didn't do it right off the bat.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Suzi bits

http://www.classicsuzukiparts.nl/2strokemenu/?lang=en

NE
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
Careful twinshocker is the pissing match king

I agree with ya Willie . My ty175 sat for 20+ years after a little service it ran great. About 40miles into its first real trail ride in decades the flywheel side seal started sucking air and melted here down. About a $125 mistake. Next old bike is getting seals ASAP . It was so easy to replace I was pissed I didn't do it right off the bat.
Yea Jeff, went and looked at some of the threads he started. Troll!
Asks a question and then gives his opinion over and over.
Hope he finds the correct oil for his pre-mix in his trials bike.... someday.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #23
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yea Jeff, went and looked at some of the threads he started. Troll!
Asks a question and then gives his opinion over and over.
Hope he finds the correct oil for his pre-mix in his trials bike.... someday.
Weird that you feel that the definition of a troll is largely related to the fact that the said "troll" almost certainly has far wider and more accurate knowledge of 2T motors than you do?

I guess the net has afforded the opportunity for all sorts of clueless bullshitters to set themselves up as instant experts, and these types tend to get a little annoyed when lack of first hand experience and no info on the net for them to cut and paste, shows them in their true light!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #24
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Unless you have a strong desire to waste time and money, there is no real need to replace crank seals which are perfectly serviceable, in the hope of curing a problem which in many cases will not be related to crank seals at all.

Its very easy to test crank seals, and it will take maybe an hour to put together a cheap home made pressure tester set up, which in many cases will confirm that the seals are good.

First thing to check on bikes which have been standing for some while and have a good spark and compression is the carb. Again very easy to do this.......... simply remove the air cleaner hose, squirt aerosol brake or carb cleaner into the carb mouth, and see if the bike starts.

If it does start it will obviously only run momentarily, but this will confirm 100% the problem is with the carb, and has nothing to do with seals or anything else suggested by the net based experts.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #25
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,218
Thanks for all the advise. (I think) I've got a line on some crank seals, and the advise to use a local bearing suppler vise a bike shop is very helpful. I got it from here. Thanks everyone.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Quote:
Weird that you feel that the definition of a troll is largely related to the fact that the said "troll" almost certainly has far wider and more accurate knowledge of 2T motors than you do?

I guess the net has afforded the opportunity for all sorts of clueless bullshitters to set themselves up as instant experts, and these types tend to get a little annoyed when lack of first hand experience and no info on the net for them to cut and paste, shows them in their true light!
I guess I better check my credentials again....
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:

Why don't you go be a dipshit somewhere else.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess I better check my credentials again....
I think the quality of your BS tells all we need to know about your "credentials"!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
BigVicProton
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So

What did you find in the end with your crank seals? I think I have the same problem...bike runs ok but not with the cover over the carb on.
BigVicProton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVicProton View Post
What did you find in the end with your crank seals? I think I have the same problem...bike runs ok but not with the cover over the carb on.
Ive been working overseas for most of the year. So ill tackle it during the long Minnesota winter. I've going tp replace the left side crank seal and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote