ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
frozenpeas OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NY, NC
Oddometer: 28
Question Rear brake shoes R60/5

Ok, the bike is pretty, but now the fun begins. I have gear oil weeping from the rear end hole. So I figured I'd take a look at the now non existent braking from the rear. Yes, it's full of dirt and greasy substance. I wanted to remove the brake shoes, but the Clymer mention a c clip to remove, but I don't have. Can you tell me what do I remove and how, to get the brake shoes off?
Looks like the splines need service too. I'm gonna try and post a few pics. Thanks

frozenpeas screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 03:13 PM
frozenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,300
That circlip is only on the fronts shoes. On the rears, remove the springs and they're off.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
frozenpeas OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NY, NC
Oddometer: 28
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps373ba560.jpg

Thanks Bill, do these splines look beat?
frozenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,300
Seen better days. Maybe 2/3 worn. Hansen can weld and remachine the splines and fix that nasty leak.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpeas View Post
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps373ba560.jpg

Thanks Bill, do these splines look beat?
Toast. How bad are the ones in the wheel?

One morning I wake up and I got 3 nuts. Only had 2 when I went to bed. I go to the doctor and he confirms an inguinal hernia. He says I can live with it as long as I want but avoid long trips and especially air travel.

You got splines like that.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
frozenpeas OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NY, NC
Oddometer: 28
That's hysterical. What ya figure the mileage it would take to wear those suckers like that? The wheel has to be done to. Your doctor would prescribe the same limitations for the cup.
frozenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpeas View Post
That's hysterical. What ya figure the mileage it would take to wear those suckers like that? The wheel has to be done to. Your doctor would prescribe the same limitations for the cup.
depends on how little they were lubed and how the bike was ridden.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.
 
Pokie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 858
It's easy to pop the shoes off, just jam a large flat blade screwdriver between the upper shoe and the rear drive and pry. The shoes will "fly" off so don't get your hand in the way. To put them back on, fit both springs to the shoes (while they're off), fit the bottom shoe then hook the top shoe on it's mount and lever it up. If it doesn't snap into place, you may have to make sure the shoe isn't hung up on the case (by taking a flat blade screw driver and prying out the bottom of the shoe at the pivot.

Does that make sense?
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
frozenpeas OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NY, NC
Oddometer: 28
sounds good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
It's easy to pop the shoes off, just jam a large flat blade screwdriver between the upper shoe and the rear drive and pry. The shoes will "fly" off so don't get your hand in the way. To put them back on, fit both springs to the shoes (while they're off), fit the bottom shoe then hook the top shoe on it's mount and lever it up. If it doesn't snap into place, you may have to make sure the shoe isn't hung up on the case (by taking a flat blade screw driver and prying out the bottom of the shoe at the pivot.

Does that make sense?
I think Ill do it!
frozenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014