ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
A few options

There are a few options listed at KTM Twins.

This one worked for me and I am 6'1".

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...big-windscreen

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Yeah, but we are talking about people of a regular height .

Seriously did you think those mirrors I swapped with you made a big difference? I didn't notice the difference between them and the ones I swapped with you.

Either way to the OP the ones TMK is talking about were just some inexpensive OEM ones from a bike shop.
That sounds like a hobbit jealousy streak

Yeap lesser height means no buffeting on the lid which is perfecto, if I destroy these I will have no bones about getting sleeker lower mirrors
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin'Ed View Post
04 950 with stock windscreen. I got it with a tank bag and ride everywhere with it. I removed it once and the wind seems to come up around the tank and buffet like crazy. I put the bag back on and all is calm and quiet.

Ed
Interesting - I also ride with a tank bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #34
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Cool2 Another Opinion

KamLeeR nobody has said you are being "chincy" with your helmet choice- but these "dual sport" helmets are really not made for highway use- seriously too much compromise. When I roadrace I wear Arai so it ain't about the brand

Both the XD-3 & XD-4 are crap for highway. Shoei Hornet is crap too on the highway. And they are generally considered premium brands.

I've owned all three. Looking over your shoulder to do a head-check while making a lane change (uh, you do this every time don't you?) is just asking for neck strain if not head jerk, depending on the speed you are travelling. Plus the visors are so high up they are useless, and the built-in drop-down shields are expensive and have compromised optical clarity. The visors are thin & vibrate, and break pretty easily compared to a dedicated dirtbike helmet

These "high end" dual sport helmets are the adventure-bike equivalent of buying a pre-tied head wrap bandanna to play "pirate" on a Hardley-Ableson. Looks cool to the idiots on the sidewalk but don't really work. YMMV but if you need to look cool, go ahead

Some have had good luck calming the noise from the "visors" (which really don't offer any protection from sun or tree branches) by sticking lead wheel balancing weights on the underside.

I cut 2" off the top of my stock windscreen (one of the best mods for these bikes) and fabbed a spoiler from the remnant- which really didn't work so it stays home on a shelf. I just ride with the 2" lower screen and a street helmet with earplugs if I am gonna be riding for hundreds of miles a day.

You can also try squatting a bit to find the sweet spot where the buffeting reduces. Having done multiple Cal24hrs, Utah1000, Nevada1100 and some of my own trans-continental runs this is the easy, cheap trick to making miles...

And YES the stock "mickey mouse ears" mirrors cause a huge amount of turbulence. Try some Duke or Napoleon mirrors

Having put the KTM touring windscreen on several customer bikes I can tell you they work pretty well but don't fix things, plus they are kinda big

So far the best for slab touring has been to take a tall (old, leftover) KLR touring windscreen and bolt it over the stocker with some spacers so air comes under it. They can be had for $50 and look just as bad/good as the $165 KTM touring screen, and I just unbolt the thing when I ride local/dirt roads while on a long trip. Mostly it lives on a shelf too

If you ride local, wear a DOT/Snell approved dirtbike helmet. Several I have are better than the $400-$700 Arai/Shoei's on the pavement for noise/buffeting...

But she'll never be a Goldwing...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #35
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Stock screen and Shoei RF-1100 here. Works pretty well in all but the most windy conditions.

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #36
KamLeeR OP
Animal Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
KamLeeR nobody has said you are being "chincy" with your helmet choice- but these "dual sport" helmets are really not made for highway use- seriously too much compromise. When I roadrace I wear Arai so it ain't about the brand

Both the XD-3 & XD-4 are crap for highway. Shoei Hornet is crap too on the highway. And they are generally considered premium brands.

I've owned all three. Looking over your shoulder to do a head-check while making a lane change (uh, you do this every time don't you?) is just asking for neck strain if not head jerk, depending on the speed you are travelling. Plus the visors are so high up they are useless, and the built-in drop-down shields are expensive and have compromised optical clarity. The visors are thin & vibrate, and break pretty easily compared to a dedicated dirtbike helmet

These "high end" dual sport helmets are the adventure-bike equivalent of buying a pre-tied head wrap bandanna to play "pirate" on a Hardley-Ableson. Looks cool to the idiots on the sidewalk but don't really work. YMMV but if you need to look cool, go ahead

Some have had good luck calming the noise from the "visors" (which really don't offer any protection from sun or tree branches) by sticking lead wheel balancing weights on the underside.

I cut 2" off the top of my stock windscreen (one of the best mods for these bikes) and fabbed a spoiler from the remnant- which really didn't work so it stays home on a shelf. I just ride with the 2" lower screen and a street helmet with earplugs if I am gonna be riding for hundreds of miles a day.

You can also try squatting a bit to find the sweet spot where the buffeting reduces. Having done multiple Cal24hrs, Utah1000, Nevada1100 and some of my own trans-continental runs this is the easy, cheap trick to making miles...

And YES the stock "mickey mouse ears" mirrors cause a huge amount of turbulence. Try some Duke or Napoleon mirrors

Having put the KTM touring windscreen on several customer bikes I can tell you they work pretty well but don't fix things, plus they are kinda big

So far the best for slab touring has been to take a tall (old, leftover) KLR touring windscreen and bolt it over the stocker with some spacers so air comes under it. They can be had for $50 and look just as bad/good as the $165 KTM touring screen, and I just unbolt the thing when I ride local/dirt roads while on a long trip. Mostly it lives on a shelf too

If you ride local, wear a DOT/Snell approved dirtbike helmet. Several I have are better than the $400-$700 Arai/Shoei's on the pavement for noise/buffeting...

But she'll never be a Goldwing...
I misphrased myself when I said chincy. I just meant I try to buy the best of gear, and I had no problems running 80 on my KLR for 500 mile days. Understand now these helmets are not the best choice for all day highway. Weird how some folks ride with same gear and shields and have zero problems.

Thanks all for the info! Friday I will start experimenting with mirror removal, visor removal, short screen, etc. Y'all have given me tons of options to try.

Will let y'all know how it turns out.

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #37
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Plus the visors are so high up they are useless
Ain't that the truth. I used to ride with just a dirt bike helmet, but it they are too cold for serious touring (long periods in the rain, snow etc).

I like my Shoei to wear, but the visor is worthless.

I actually don't have a problem with the shields clarity, but I use it with a pinlock. I don't like its first opening click, when I want let just a little air in.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin'Ed View Post
04 950 with stock windscreen. I got it with a tank bag and ride everywhere with it. I removed it once and the wind seems to come up around the tank and buffet like crazy. I put the bag back on and all is calm and quiet.

Ed
We are the same on the SE, the bag stops the wind, wouldn't say buffets but it is noticeable so I prefer to use the tank bag for longer distance even if we don't really need it.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #39
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
globetrottin.com makes a flip up flip down windshield that is the best I've ever found and it completely removes buffeting. I'm also 6'5 and use the AXF dual sport helmets. It's not on their web site but it is ingenious and very well designed like all of their products IMO, and looks good and works great. This is the best pic I have unfortunately in the up position. It pops down in a second, you can do it at a stoplight with no tools... Just up and down, held in place with springs. In the down position it looks even better. I wouldn't hesitate for a long trip on a 950 with one of these.

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 12:15 AM
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Big, Tall, Wide, Ugly

Of the 99 prototypes I've created, this is the only one that really works. The windshield is a leftover from a BMW R1100RT. I look over the top about 4", higher than a normal street bike. The wings are too big and put too much air up behind the windshield and need to be trimmed.

The next step is to try and get some of the ugly off. It comes off in 2 minutes with an allen and wrench. In the future it will have thumb screws.

I wear a flip-front HJC street helmet. I don't need to wear ear plugs for the wind noise anymore. BUT, the tire noise, intake noise, chain noise, cam chain noise is now much louder and I have to wear ear plugs for that.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #41
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 623
I'm 6'4", my '07 990 has the stock screen and I wear a Reevu helmet. As a fluke I tried the "Super-Visor". Granted it looks a little hokey, but it has quieted the wind noise down on my street helmet to almost nothing with ear plugs and considerably reduced helmet buffeting with the stock windscreen.

I'll probably buy one of Dustodust's swept-back carbon shortys - it appears to be a very good solution for vertically gifted.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #42
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
. Looking over your shoulder to do a head-check while making a lane change (uh, you do this every time don't you?) is just asking for neck strain if not head jerk, depending on the speed you are travelling. Plus the visors are so high up they are useless, and the built-in drop-down shields are expensive and have compromised optical clarity. The visors are thin & vibrate, and break pretty easily compared to a dedicated dirtbike helmet

Agreed... but... I do find the visor useful on forested back roads, crossing in and out of deep shade at high speed. The visor allows you to run a clear shield so you can see in the shade and it keeps the sun out of your eyes out in the sun. I don't like coming into a corner too fast in deep shade with a tented shield. I can't see the road good enough.

Out on open freeways I just switch shield at sunset on my Arai street helmet.

I ride a street bike too, so, I have several helmets. Like to OP I might not buy a dedicated street helmet just for the 950. Just take the visor off, the helmet is designed for this.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #43
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Agreed... but... I do find the visor useful on forested back roads, crossing in and out of deep shade at high speed. The visor allows you to run a clear shield so you can see in the shade and it keeps the sun out of your eyes out in the sun. I don't like coming into a corner too fast in deep shade with a tented shield. I can't see the road good enough.
Do you find this actually works? The one on the Shoei is useless for this unless I tilt my head waay forward.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #44
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I've been trying different screen configurations to reduce buffeting. I'm 6'2".

I cut the stocker, but didn't like it. So I bolted the cut piece on it. Worked well up to 90km/h.

The Mra X-Creen works quite well with cut down stocker. Also tried it on the KTM Touring screen to calm it down, but that screen is just plain horrible for me.

But then I went back to Rade's screen. It works surprisingly well, also providing more protection than short ones.

I'm not done yet and next I want try something Zuber has done..
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #45
Desperate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am with GJ990 I have no issue with the standard screen and motor cross helmet and this is at a steady 120 kmh.

For me I like the extra ventilation of a motor cross helmet.
Desperate is offline   Reply With Quote