Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
If you drop your pressure down below 15-17 psi, rim locks are almost a 'must'. If you use 'normal' pressures (18 psi or above), they won't be necessary and will become a PITA when you have to change your tire/tube'.

I have an older XL600R...still a big pig-of-a-bike, but mainly ride on dirt. About a month ago I went with a Kenda Trakmaster II rear and a Pirelli Rallycross on the front. It really transformed the bike, especially in sandy stuff.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangecon1976 View Post
Hey racer111v thanks for the input, do you use a rim lock??
I do use rim locks (lite weight motion-pro) ,two in the rear, one in the front. I have always used locks from years of mx and off road. I can always ride home with both tires completely flat. The MT43 even at 25# is still good off and on road.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Bump

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
everett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
In the old days before rim locks we used sheet metal screws. I've got them on my WRR with MT43 front and rear and I run 12psi.

Super traction with ZERO balance issues.
everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Bump

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

bump

Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
I've ordered an MT43 for the 690.

Keen to prolong the life of the tyre as much as possible ...

One discussion (somewhere) talked about wearing MT43s down more quickly when running them at about 15psi (i.e. at a higher pressure than the usual 6-10psi) - is this correct? - I would have thought the opposite ...

My concern is for the long open dirt roads (very hard - exposed rock in places) which you tend to travel at around 100kph - don't want to shred the tyres ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #23
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
I've been using the MT43 rear tires on my WR250R for more than a year now and have been extremely pleased with both performance and tread life. One unique feature that impressed me was that these tires perform almost as well on the last few hundred miles of tread as when new. With the D606s and T63s I'd used previously on the bike once a third to half the tread was gone their off-road performance fell off sharply. I'm averaging around 3K miles on these rear tires and will be putting my fourth one on in a week or two. I pretty much leave the pressure at 12 psi all the time and run the lightweight MotionPro rim lock.

I'm not using the MT43 on the front because I want a little more bite and have had good luck with the D606 front. Next time, however, I'm going to a MT21 front because it can be turned around halfway thru its tread life to get more mileage. The D606 is directional by design and when I reversed one the bike began dancing around uncomfortably for me on gravel roads. I'm expecting to get two rears to one front (around 6K miles total) with this new combo. With the MT43 rear/D606 front I'd get about 1.5 rears to one front.

YRMV.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've been using the MT43 rear tires on my WR250R for more than a year now and have been extremely pleased with both performance and tread life. One unique feature that impressed me was that these tires perform almost as well on the last few hundred miles of tread as when new. With the D606s and T63s I'd used previously on the bike once a third to half the tread was gone their off-road performance fell off sharply. I'm averaging around 3K miles on these rear tires and will be putting my fourth one on in a week or two. I pretty much leave the pressure at 12 psi all the time and run the lightweight MotionPro rim lock.

I'm not using the MT43 on the front because I want a little more bite and have had good luck with the D606 front. Next time, however, I'm going to a MT21 front because it can be turned around halfway thru its tread life to get more mileage. The D606 is directional by design and when I reversed one the bike began dancing around uncomfortably for me on gravel roads. I'm expecting to get two rears to one front (around 6K miles total) with this new combo. With the MT43 rear/D606 front I'd get about 1.5 rears to one front.

YRMV.
Many thanks - I'll stick in about 12-15psi and see how it behaves / wears - the 690 is hard on rear tyres - the gravel roads more so than the tar I think, and a big part of the enjoyment of the bike - I run an MT21 on the front, and find that about spot-on - very similar to the D606.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
KDXKLXKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
They don't like to be leaned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Does the MT43 perform well on paved twisty bits? I like to rail the corners and good grip at full lean is a must for any dual sport tire for me. The square profile has me kind of .
'Lean them too far and they let go faster then you can react ...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #26
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

I've just put one on the back of my 2012 690, and at only 250km the centre tread seems to be coming apart ...

I'm running it at 18psi in, as this first run was mostly hard gravel with a bit of tar - and a lot of it at speed ...

Should I be running a lower pressure on these surfaces ... ?

Tyre doesn't look as though it will last very long at this rate ...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
I run one on the rear of my Aprilia RXV. This bike will destroy knobbies in two rides here in AZ. I've got 1500 on the MT43 and it's barely showing wear. Its been super grippy at 7psi with a Tubliss setup. I have noticed that if you stop in sand or mud it can me a chore to get rolling again. Otherwise riding on those surfaces it great. If you like flat-tracking on fire roads, you can, but there are limits and the limit is pretty abrupt. If you understand how the tire is designed to be used, this shouldn't be any surprise.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh View Post
I run one on the rear of my Aprilia RXV. This bike will destroy knobbies in two rides here in AZ. I've got 1500 on the MT43 and it's barely showing wear. Its been super grippy at 7psi with a Tubliss setup. I have noticed that if you stop in sand or mud it can me a chore to get rolling again. Otherwise riding on those surfaces it great. If you like flat-tracking on fire roads, you can, but there are limits and the limit is pretty abrupt. If you understand how the tire is designed to be used, this shouldn't be any surprise.
Do you run it at 7psi all the time?

That is, for hard gravel / fire trails and any transport legs on the tar?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Do you run it at 7psi all the time?

That is, for hard gravel / fire trails and any transport legs on the tar?
Just for the gnarly stuff. 10psi on the stuff you mention.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I've just put one on the back of my 2012 690, and at only 250km the centre tread seems to be coming apart ...

I'm running it at 18psi in, as this first run was mostly hard gravel with a bit of tar - and a lot of it at speed ...

Should I be running a lower pressure on these surfaces ... ?

Tyre doesn't look as though it will last very long at this rate ...
This is why I won't use one on a bike that's primarily a dual sport, as I had the same issues. If I ever turn my WR in to a trail machine, which is probably sooner than later, I might try the MT43 again. 5-8psi off-road, using the tall sidewall to protect your rims from rocks instead of air pressure, and there's not much it won't grip on. Great if the terrain is truly snotty, and especially so if you're more of a "point and shoot" rider than a "drift the rear end around sliding through the corners" type rider you'll love it.

MT43's almost doesn't wear off-road, they're really durable on trails, and even better they don't dig in and rip up the trails meaning things are left in better conditions for the next rider. Above 12psi, you lose most of the benefits of the trials tire because its too stiff to flex and grip like its supposed to, but at least wears reasonably well on the street. Above 15psi, I think you'll find it burns the center knobs off extremely quickly on pavement.

I prefer to slide around more, think I still have tremendous amounts of off-road grip when run at 10-15psi and can rail paved corners at the higher pressures, prefer the shorter overall height, and get better mileage (upwards of 7500 miles, usually toss them at 5000-5500 miles) from a D606 rear, so I'll keep using them until they stop making them.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote