User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #91
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 263
Cool2

Any stories about bad animal encounters while camping for the night?
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #92
nmetzger63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Camping at the end of a dirt road in Nevada I woke to a small pack of coyotes about 10 feet from away. They encouraged me to get moving and they were gone before I was out of my sleeping bag. However when I got up I realized I was 50 feet from a sign stating I was at a Nevada state police gun range/bomb disposal range. That might be the fastest I have ever packed my bike.
nmetzger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #93
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewqban View Post
Any stories about bad animal encounters while camping for the night?
Nothing outside of small animals that have habituated to human contact. Chipmunks, squirrels and birds being the most common and annoying. If you follow sensible rules about camping: keep a clean campsite, don't cook or sleep next your food, keep food out of reach, etc., there isn't really anything to worry about.

sprouty115 screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 07:46 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #94
scudrunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
One of the places I look for are low use airports along my route. I'm a pilot and have slept in pilot lounges all over. If there is a private FBO I ask first if I can camp. Most lounges have decent and clean facilities.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #95
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
I have eyeballed those spots numerous times myself . The thing that always holds me back is the signs that say for official vehicles only at each crossover. I may be wrong but it seems that the land between the lanes would also be off limits. Many highways have guard rails on both sides of the road so you are mostly obliged to getting of the highway itself at these points.
I saw this thread a few weeks ago and since I have eyeballed almost every median and little clearing I've passed on the highway... "I could sleep there!"

I know in a lot of places in georgia there is thick tree growth in the little triangle shaped area just between an exit ramp and the freeway. I've definitely seen tents in there and in the woods right off the exits here in Georgia. Even little trails you could pull your bike up. It's weary and homeless travelers and hitchhikers but if they can get away with it so can we right? You just might have to share a beer and some food.
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #96
Lostmike
Cruising

Oddometer: 9
I've camped in strange places all over Europe, Auz, and Nz, don't if your familiar with a swag in the states but it's a canvas cocoon with a little cover for your head, has a mattress built in, waterproof and takes about 10 seconds to unroll, combine it with a good lightweight or ultra lightweight sleeping bag and your away laughing. I often have to make brekky or cook dinner so usually find a side road to sneak down for the night. No issues yet, fingers crossed
Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #97
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Do tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmike View Post
I've camped in strange places all over Europe, Auz, and Nz, don't if your familiar with a swag in the states but it's a canvas cocoon with a little cover for your head, has a mattress built in, waterproof and takes about 10 seconds to unroll, combine it with a good lightweight or ultra lightweight sleeping bag and your away laughing. I often have to make brekky or cook dinner so usually find a side road to sneak down for the night. No issues yet, fingers crossed

Linky??? For those of us that are Googlie challenged...
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #98
Inoplanetyanin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I prefer to camp in the open field, forests, old fire routs if in the mountains. It all depends on the area. I've camped behind churches, and slept at wal mart lots and all imaginable parks.

The reason I like the open areas is because that is where I enjoy actual camping the most. I chose one that are unlikely to be visited in the morning so I can sleep in.

I've been encountered by police down in TN once for sleeping behind a church. They were nice but told me I couldn't be there. They offered me either to go on to the road (I was on the bicycle and there were lose dogs everywhere on that country road) OR they could take me down to next town and placed in a motel. (I didn't like the idea of being taken somewhere by the police so I just moved on. But it was embarrassing to pack up while they were waiting.

Behind warehouses is fine. I like to camp near the river too. Desert has virtually unlimited camping opportunities here in the South West... many trails and roads, so I just go down one of them and pull off onto the desert floor few feet from the trail and it's a safe and comfortable place to camp. Have to leave early though as sun becomes unbearable by 7-8 am.

As far as sleeping on the ground - not me. I wouldn't want to wake up to a rattle snake cowled up on me, or scorpion sitting on my nose. I only camp in the tent which I make sure is always zipped tight. I've set the tent atop of an ant colonies few times just to find bunch of them angrily crawling on top of the net trying to get in. :)

Have fun camping everyone!
Inoplanetyanin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #99
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swag_(bedroll)

Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #100
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,852
It is legal to camp on any public land in Newfoundland, about the only person to bother you will be the one who's inviting you in for a coffee.

I think I'm still the only inmate there on the ADV tent thread, and a few have PM'd me when passing through. It's only my work schedule that makes meeting up tough.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #101
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight611 View Post
I have used Lowe's buildings out in the parking lot, arrive late, leave early and your bike is inside for the evening! I also enjoy hammock camping, a Hennessey hammock is a great way to go. I have stayed along side the interstate system in Mississippi. There is a fence along the interstate and a service trail along the fence, you can get 100 yards from the highway and the noise is less. Hammocks are easy up, comfortable (for me) and with the snake skins can be put up in heavy rain (in your riding gear) without even getting wet!

Good thread!!

Jay
South Coast
Just did the lowes hotel for the first time saturday night, What a great idea!
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #102
Lostmike
Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post
http://www.mrswagman.com.au/camping-...r-bikers.shtml
That's a pretty good brand of swag, there are lots of options, you could get one made up at a canvas place. Get amongst it :)

Lostmike screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:57 PM
Lostmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #103
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmike View Post
...That's a pretty good brand of swag, there are lots of options...
Does look pretty versatile. Can also go the high-tech route for a bit more money and it will be half the weigth and pack-size. It will also acutally protect you in absolutley any type of weather.

http://www.rei.com/product/763836/ou...nced-bivy-sack

http://www.rei.com/product/829851/th...e-sleeping-pad
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #104
Lostmike
Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Does look pretty versatile. Can also go the high-tech route for a bit more money and it will be half the weigth and pack-size. It will also acutally protect you in absolutley any type of weather.

http://www.rei.com/product/763836/ou...nced-bivy-sack

http://www.rei.com/product/829851/th...e-sleeping-pad
Also very pretty.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #105
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,352
bed

Rheumatoid Arthritis in the hands and wrists caused me to give up bedroll camping. So I made Spud.

http://youtu.be/1z7QnNkMgF0

Bed and Breakfast where ever I park.

Idaho Bedroll
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote