ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 130
man o man, good times. Riding motorcycles in sixth grade with neighborhood kids. In Garden Grove we drag raced our Hodaka's, Indians and SL70'S on an Edison easement that ran the length of my grade school on Chapman just west of Magnolia.

Not too long after that I lived in a house in the middle of several acres of open field at Bolsa Chica & Heil in HB. We rode our stingrays right out on to the runway at Meadowlark airport. I'd ride my little Indian all over that open field, once getting chased by an HB PD I didn't notice til he went all lights & siren on me. Just me at home that day, getting pulled over in front of my house with no parents anywhere around. Imagine that happening today.

6th grade me and my bike in the living room of that HB house in 74.

pvt joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #32
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
We rode our stingrays right out on to the runway at Meadowlark airport. I'd ride my little Indian all over that open field, once getting chased by an HB PD I didn't notice til he went all lights & siren on me.

Meadowlark Airport? We were up in Long Beach on the Mini-Trail but years later, maybe '77, working on a construction crew building a project off Algonquin we would have lunch at Meadowlark Airport and the waitresses,

ps Nice bike, we were lusting after the Trail 70 and couldn't dream of something that nice...
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #33
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
so cool!!

northsouth15 screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 12:11 AM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #34
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There's loads of places where you could just blast off the pavement and do a quick lap through some dirt/gravel all over the greater LB area but I'm not sure a LEO is going to be as forgiving as they were to a couple of kids on mini-bikes back in the day. That being said, west of the 605, north of the 405, east of the river, south of Willow, there is a decent sized area that can be accessed by dropping down a steep embankment from Willow just east of Eldo then passing through a short tunnel under the street...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,705
Ok you "oldies", these showed up at the car show here in Seal yesterday...

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #36
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Go inland from there a little bit and do a hot lap through Gum Grove
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #37
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 10:21 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entheogen View Post
alright you old cuss's, Let's see if someone can post a RECENTe pic of you riding the oil fields. I think I saw a nice opening right off the 22 exit from 405, before the Studebaker exit on the left side of freeway.

Hooligans get your cameras!
I'm game, but i'm not picturing your directions. The bike lane along the power plant is there, and also this sounds like the area behind Leisure World. I'll go snooping around when I get a chance.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #39
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
alright you old cuss's, Let's see if someone can post a RECENTe pic of you riding the oil fields. I think I saw a nice opening right off the 22 exit from 405, before the Studebaker exit on the left side of freeway.

Not me, the risk-reward ratio is upside down IMO. I think a late night banzai run down the Pacific Electric right-of-way near 4th and Park (L.B.) has better possibilities...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #40
Cannabinoid
Banned

fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 11:12 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #41
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:

Be careful out there. There are a few kids who filter out of the College Park East on a little 110 and an old minitrail. They set up a few jumps and berms in the area but have poor attention to trail details like logs and thick brush in the impact zone. They do know how to hide the holes in the chain link fence (and the holes only fit a minibike, so leave um some fun).

The big field south of Willow is accessed from the Nature Center, and observed on a regular basis by the bird & coyote vs. squirrel fans. It's not worth it unless you want to get caught.

Gum Grove park single track used to be good for one or two blasts in the late 80's, before Seal Beach's finest would park at the Hellman oil field gate west of their Station. I doubt a mountain bike could ride without complaint today.

Your best bet for a photo is the north side of Signal Hill (access off either end of the Promenade). Unfortunately it's almost all gravel roads, scenic but no challenge. When the Roughnecks are working they will call it in (so know your exit options).
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340hp View Post
Be careful out there. There are a few kids who filter out of the College Park East on a little 110 and an old minitrail. They set up a few jumps and berms in the area
Sounds like fun!! I'm guessing LBPD will be more forgiving of them than they will be of some adult blasting on a BRP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340hp View Post
Your best bet for a photo is the north side of Signal Hill
I'm still scared of Signal Hill PD since that incident in the '70s when a guy hung himself in their jail while handcuffed
oh yeah, he had a bunch of dog bites, too
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #43
Cannabinoid
Banned

No pics yet???

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 02:32 PM
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
No pics yet???
F Long Beach, go ride CNF!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
F Long Beach, go ride CNF!
it isn't the same without the Vanishing Point mentality carried by the pre-teen mini-bike set in the non-rural environment...