Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I have spent a lot of time doing searches on this site and others. There seems to be lots of build threads and since I am basically just doing a rebuild using all stock BMW parts I thought I would only post what may be an alternative way of doing something. Basically just some painting changes and parts swapping.

Chuck
Really looks nice especially the block, did you paint it also?
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Really looks nice especially the block, did you paint it also?
No the block was cleaned with solvent and simple green, then scrubbed with a solution that contained phosphoric acid among other things. It is the phosphoric acid that brightens up the aluminum though. I did all the aluminum parts that way except for the final drive. I painted that and wish I hadn't. I was originally going to paint my wheels that same color before deciding on powder coating them. I used a really good primer on the final drive and it would be a bitch to remove it now.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
BOETJE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Great Job...I wish my painting skills where as good as yours !
I was going to ask about the engine cleaning as well : Can you buy that phosphoric solution in a can ?
BOETJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOETJE View Post
Great Job...I wish my painting skills where as good as yours !
I was going to ask about the engine cleaning as well : Can you buy that phosphoric solution in a can ?
I don't know what is available in New Zealand. There is a tiny bit of phosphoric acid in some soft drinks like coke. There are several preparations made in the US and most aren't available where I live in California. Most of what I have seen, and what I used was actually made for treating metal that may not get painted immediately or has rust pitting. The phosphoric acid converts rust (iron oxide) to iron phosphate and leaves a protective layer on the metal. Check with a painting department, especially one that deals with auto paint. In other states it is readily available at most hardware and paint outlets.

Chuck
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,983
Thumb

...ya done a nice job.
Curious about the orange paint results...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Klonis is Alive!

Got a new battery, popped it in, bike fired right up. Got the timing set, front cover on, and took a few pics before the first run down the road,

It is hard to appreciate the color in a photo. It changes and picks up gold highlights depending on the angle viewed and the direction of the light.

I took the bike out for a quick 25 mile putt down the road and I am very pleased so far. I writw a more complete ride report after a little more seat time.

Chuck
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #22
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 467
Beauty!

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,156
Looks like new and beautiful , just needs a big white "T" on it somewhere.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,321
That turned out really nice. Nice seeing you today at the BMW dealer.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,384
How did you do the pin striping?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
How did you do the pin striping?
The pin stripping, powder coating, and machining the heads were the only tasks I didn't do myself.
The pin stripping was done by Howard Zeller http://zellerpinstriping.com/Home_Page.php. He is now in his 70's and has been doing this for 57 years. Rock steady hand.

Chuck
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Great Job!Like I say,"Where were the purists when I was trying to sell my R/T?"
Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
very pretty indeed!

Did you tighten the locknuts on the shifter shaft? I do believe the "correct" pump is painted black. I also believe I got my carb air tubes on upside down which is why they are giving me so much grief...

Pinstiping is terrific. I'm looking for something similar, but simpler, in a gloss black stripe over satin black paint. Have to find someone around here that can do it.

So what else was in you aluminum brightening compound. I know if you go too strong on the phosphoric it can give blothchy results. (like using Aluminum Jelly) Yours looks perfect.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Ride Report

Got a chance to put about 1500 miles on Klonis now and wanted to make a couple of observations. Original plans for a multi-day ride had to be changed to a few day rides and a couple of overnighters. My son Seth's wife Pamela joined us on the first trip. She had only been a passenger a couple of times before for short rides and was a real trooper for this ride. We took CA Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna and returned the next day.

The second overnighter involved traveling some of the best roads in Northern California, eventually hitting the coast at Crescent City. Unfortunately we picked the hottest week and hottest day of the year to make the trip. It was over 100 degrees all the way until we were within 3 miles of Crescent City. The bike performed perfectly the whole time. It was really too hot to stop anywhere until we were actually on the coast.

The riding experience of this bike now compared to its former life as an R80RT is like night and day. This bike is really, really fun to ride. The bike has way more power, is 40-50 pounds lighter on the front end, the brakes actually work, the handling is greatly improved, and I love the riding position.

Chuck
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Riding Observations

The biggest change to the bike besides cosmetics is the power. Its not really fair to compare a fresh big valve, 40mm carbed 1000cc engine to a 88K worn R80 engine with bad valves and low compression but that was the change. My son's first comment after his first short ride was "the thing actually responds to the throttle now".

To me the change in handling was as dramatic as the change in power. Again the comparison is not fair. The whole bike, especially the front end is way lighter. New wheel, swingarm, and steering head bearings, new tires, and an aftermarket fork brace all helped a lot I am sure. I love the riding position the new handlebars created. I worried that the riding position would be tough on an old guy like myself. I am 6' 2" (and shrinking) and find it very comfortable.

I often see people recommending changing the rear drive ratio when upping engine power because the stock R80 ratio is lower geared than necessary for the bigger engines. I thought for the roads I generally ride on keeping the stock R80 gearing would work great. So far I am very happy with it. It is turning the same RPM it did when it was 800cc. The 1000cc engine is supposed to vibrate more. I am not noticing that at all. Perhaps because this is a well tuned engine with balanced carbs. I never attempted to tune the R80 engine in the short time I ran it.

At 60mph the engine is turning 4000rpm. It feels smoother than the newer R100GS that was my last Airhead. The acceleration is brisk. We averaged 60-65mph on our trips. WE got 41-43 mpg which was much better than I expected with this gearing. I plan to keep it this way for now.

Chuck