Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
/\ Yeah. I'm still new to the bike, but I sure can see why people like KLRs, even if I'm still not convinced one could carry a motor home.

The two together make a better combo than a car and a MH, tho.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
Looking for Wisdom,
Im planning on hauling my KTM 990 Adventure on the back of my 2008 26 foot class C. The chassis is a ford 450. Since this is the same 1.5 ton chassis use on the 30 footer I believe I can get away with the weight. The installed hitch is rated for only 350 pounds. My bike is close to 500 pounds so I have been searching the web and asking questions. I do plan on having two extra receivers installed, getting a mc carrier and do the modifications.

My biggest concern is loading the bike. I will need a longer ramp and importantly a walking along side ramp. The bike is just to heavy and awkward for me to run the bike up and me be on the ground. The walking along ramp could be built very light and be stowed along with the bike ramp. I have looked at purchacing a 2 mc carrier and use the extra location for my walk along ramp. I also think I can mount the walk ramp on a single carrier by using the tie down extentions braces to mount the walkway.

If any of you have coments on this propose fabrication please post. I have not found information on adding 2 more receivers yet and would like to see this already done.Thanks and I appreciate it. KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Hauling a KLR... Bungee cords and lots of gray tape.

Or, a really big milk carton for the back of the RV.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Looking for Wisdom,
Im planning on hauling my KTM 990 Adventure on the back of my 2008 26 foot class C. The chassis is a ford 450. Since this is the same 1.5 ton chassis use on the 30 footer I believe I can get away with the weight. The installed hitch is rated for only 350 pounds. My bike is close to 500 pounds so I have been searching the web and asking questions. I do plan on having two extra receivers installed, getting a mc carrier and do the modifications.

My biggest concern is loading the bike. I will need a longer ramp and importantly a walking along side ramp. The bike is just to heavy and awkward for me to run the bike up and me be on the ground. The walking along ramp could be built very light and be stowed along with the bike ramp. I have looked at purchacing a 2 mc carrier and use the extra location for my walk along ramp. I also think I can mount the walk ramp on a single carrier by using the tie down extentions braces to mount the walkway.

If any of you have coments on this propose fabrication please post. I have not found information on adding 2 more receivers yet and would like to see this already done.Thanks and I appreciate it. KJ
Yes, I believe you need to do something to increase the "tongue weight" of your MH's receiver. Adding the two additional receivers seems like the easiest way, but I'm not familiar with how those are added.

Regarding loading, you can do a lot by using the slope of the ground to your advantage. I saw great variation in the loading height of my carrier depending on this when on my recent trip. You can also run the front onto leveling blocks or use the hydraulic levelers on your unit if so equipped. Mine isn't. Either will lower the rear.

If you travel alone, try enlisting a stand-by to step in if you get into trouble. Instruct them in advance in what could happen and what to do in a typical situation. For example, if you have trouble getting the last wheel of the bike (IOWs the rear tire) over the "hump," the best place for your helper to use their muscle is on the top of the rear tire. Give 'em some gloves before hand. If you travel with others, then tell 'em helping is the price of admission.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
Regarding loading, you can do a lot by using the slope of the ground to your advantage. I saw great variation in the loading height of my carrier depending on this when on my recent trip. You can also run the front onto leveling blocks or use the hydraulic levelers on your unit if so equipped. Mine isn't. Either will lower the rear.

If you travel alone, try enlisting a stand-by to step in if you get into trouble. Instruct them in advance in what could happen and what to do in a typical situation. For example, if you have trouble getting the last wheel of the bike (IOWs the rear tire) over the "hump," the best place for your helper to use their muscle is on the top of the rear tire. Give 'em some gloves before hand. If you travel with others, then tell 'em helping is the price of admission.
That ground slope can also be one disadvantage or problem that must be planned for:

adding 2-3 feet of additional overhang.......to the rear of 28-32' motorhome creates a real life problem of tail drag in and out of driveways etc.........the entire weight of the home can be levered against the carrier......so the carrier must be mounted higher than one might first think

on some motorhomes the add on frame extensions add by the RV manufactures can be much weaker than the chassis frame rails.......inspect carefully

showkey screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 10:05 AM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 106
Try RAGE carrier.

Very stout and holds like 600 lbs. Steel receiver and frame with aluminum ramp. Weighs like 65 lbs. Hth S
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
Motiger
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Look at the Boss hitch mount carrier. It locks in the hitch so it don't rock side to side. I have one with the light kit on it that I would sell.
I only used it a few times. Now I have a trailer.
Motiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You may have already looked at their products but this company makes the heaviest duty carriers I have seen so far. http://www.mightyhauler.com/1000m.html I have a 990 Adventure and a 23 foot class C with a 500lb tongue weight rated hitch. I am coming to the conclusion that a small trailer might be the best practical solution but would much prefer not dealing with the trailer if I don't have too. I don't really have anywhere good to store it when not in use. So I am very interested in what you find out.
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #24
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990west View Post
You may have already looked at their products but this company makes the heaviest duty carriers I have seen so far. http://www.mightyhauler.com/1000m.html I have a 990 Adventure and a 23 foot class C with a 500lb tongue weight rated hitch. I am coming to the conclusion that a small trailer might be the best practical solution but would much prefer not dealing with the trailer if I don't have too. I don't really have anywhere good to store it when not in use. So I am very interested in what you find out.
Thread revival!

First, I just saw your post, 990west and looked at the site for the lift above. I've not yet read and digested the entire manufacturer's site, but my first thought is that it's a welcome addition to the available mc lifts for the back of other vehicles. I like it.

Further: I've been using the rack I bought (described earlier) and so long as I keep the rack low to the ground when loading, it's easy. I either use the terrain to my advantage or run the front RV tires up on a block to lower the RV's rear.

I did have to reinforce the included ramp by bolting an 1/8th inch metal bar on each side. Turns the ramp heavy duty.

I opted not to go with a trailer because it compromises the selection of campsites; difficult to back up, etc. Others may disagree, but long-term, I figured I'd start looking for pull-through sites, etc. Instead, I've camped some excellent sites and ridden the local scenery in depth, in a way I've not found possible by looping through the same areas. I will say, though, that between the two, I'm enjoying Appalachia thoroughly.