Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
arooni OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Seeking routing suggestions from Puerto Montt (Chile) => Buenos Aires

Hey everyone!

Thanks to your advice, I ended up taking the Navimag ferry from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. It was the right move! It was great to relax and move north significantly where the weather is much better, and now Buenos Aires doesn't seem so far away.

I'm debating the routes I can take from here to Buenos Aires. You can see the route I came down Chile/Argentina on my spotwalla link, and I'd prefer to see something new on my way to Buenos Aires. Basically I came down to Mendoza, cut over to Vina del Mar/Santiago, and then south to Pucon, east to San Junin de los Andes and then down to Bariloche and cut west again till Puerto Montt and then started the Carreterra Austral.

From here, I was thinking:
1) North till Osorno, then Bariloche. I have done this road before but it was beautiful and I prefer to get out of Chile soon as it's quite expensive to travel here. From there, head to Neuquen, then cut east through the Pampas to Bahia Blanca, and then up north through the 2/3 to Buenos Aires.
2) Same as #1 but head up to Mendoza on the Argentenian side (they tell me routa 40 is paved from Bariloche => Mendoza), then head east to Buenos Aires, but maybe throw in Cordoba on the way there (it seems difficult to visit otherwsie as its kinda in the middle of Argentina).
3) Head up through Chile again and retrace my steps to Santiago and then #2.

I'd prefer paved roads as I'd like a bit of a break from doing off road, but if a road is significantly awesome, I don't mind doing the unpaved roads.

Also, I'd like to know if there's anything worth seeing/stopping for along the way.

Many thanks in advance!
=David
Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
My suggestion is go back to Mendoza and have a glass of excellent argentine wine and then travel west across the top of Argentina, the country is beautiful and is the most archeologically rich part of Argentina. I was going to visit that part but missed it and now I regret it.
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
arooni OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
My suggestion is go back to Mendoza and have a glass of excellent argentine wine and then travel west across the top of Argentina, the country is beautiful and is the most archeologically rich part of Argentina. I was going to visit that part but missed it and now I regret it.
I have decided to ride to Cordoba before Buenos Aires (leaving tomorrow)!. Any suggestions on the best way to get there? I've already done Mendoza, but maybe the road up through Neuquen is more direct although it does look really boring.

1) Would you go to Mendoza (again) or just cut up through Cordoba?
2) I.e. is the Routa 40 from Bariloche to Cordoba more beautiful than cutting up Neuquen and going direct?
3) If I do go from Neuquen, which is a better highway routing to Corodba?
a) 151 to 143 to 146 to San Luis to Corodba?
b) direct option: 151 to 148 to 35 to Cordoba (Mercades / Rio Cuarto)

Many thanks in advance.
Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I have decided to ride to Cordoba before Buenos Aires (leaving tomorrow)!. Any suggestions on the best way to get there? I've already done Mendoza, but maybe the road up through Neuquen is more direct although it does look really boring.

1) Would you go to Mendoza (again) or just cut up through Cordoba?
2) I.e. is the Routa 40 from Bariloche to Cordoba more beautiful than cutting up Neuquen and going direct?
3) If I do go from Neuquen, which is a better highway routing to Corodba?
a) 151 to 143 to 146 to San Luis to Corodba?
b) direct option: 151 to 148 to 35 to Cordoba (Mercades / Rio Cuarto)

Many thanks in advance.
Hey Arooni,

either option a or b are extremely boring routes.. If you are on a tight schedule and must get to Cordoba and BA ASAP.. then do it, but expect nothing but many KM of nothing..

If you have time to do some extra Km.. Id go up to Mendoza then to San luis, Mina Clavero (Cordoba) , then Cordoba Citiy, and from there to Buenos Aires.

From Mina Clavero to Cordoba City you have a road called "altas cumbres" wich has one of the nicest sceneries in Cordoba..

you can see the detailed route HERE

some pics of Altas Cumbres,