'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,835
You might just have to invest in a couple of pairs of boots so you can rotate which ones are being worn and which ones are being dried.

Don't get stuff to mask the smell, get stuff that kills the stuff that makes the smell, then keep them from coming back.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
Make a mild bleach solution, and fill the boots. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse, stuff with newspapers. The smell will be gone.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 924
I keep a little spray bottle of isopropyl in my tank bag and spray my sidi's on the inside every time I take them off for a few days if they start smelling a little funky.

Seems to do a good job
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Make a mild bleach solution, and fill the boots. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse, stuff with newspapers. The smell will be gone.
I like this idea to get rid of the stink, and I recommend these to prevent the stink from returning:
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
The boot dryers, extra sock changes, and I have found using a preoperative skin cleanser with the active ingredient chlorhexidine Gluconate about every two weeks helps keep the population of stinky bugs down. Don't use it too often as your other natural flora/fauna on your skin actually protect you from bad bugs by competing for space/food.

Also another pair of boots to be sure they dry out really well. Most bacteria and fungi can not grow/reproduce without moisture. Be sure to apply the sprays right after you take the boots off as both bacteria and fungi are most vulnerable while the "environment" is most favorable. When things start to dry out they often go into a protective "spore" state which makes them able to survive and much harder to kill.

While I am not an expert, I have take a few microbiology courses and I am a nurse, FWIW. My dos centavos.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I periodically put my boots in the sink with dish soap and bleach and let them soak for a while. Then give them a quick rinse and let them dry (things dry easily here). Works great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
I've had good luck with baking soda.

Just dump some in, shake it around, let it sit for a bit, dump it out, and vacuum!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Sock full-o-charcoal

After getting stuck in a nasty rainstorm without gear - I ended up with boots literally full of water and horrible stench. I dried them out with a shop-vac hooked up backwards - then filled them with charcoal pellets from the aquarium store. 100% fix. I how have two old socks filled with charcoal that I throw into anything questionable.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I can tell you what not to do...

August 2011, we were riding back north on the BRP.
I got tired of the smell of my 50000 km boots, Mostly because I was with someone I didn't want to annoy further.
Without any decent cleaner, I went to the only convenience store opened nearby, in front royal.

The only thing available was some pinesol...

I didn't intend to carry the bottle back, so I used it all, half in each boot.
Well, as you may or may not know, pinesol is not exactly hand soap. It is very concentrated and frees amoniac vapor
that stunk up the hotel room all night. Oh, the boots were clean and disinfected all right!

But the story doesn't end here. After rinsing about 20 times each boot (and there was still bubble and vapors coming out after that), I go to sleep, boot hanging upside down in the tub, knowing this will not dry overnight.

Next morning, I used plastic bags to keep my socks dry (before sweating in it of course). We stopped in a wallmart to buy some DrSholl to absorb humidity and hopefully the amoniac odors. Being equal to myself, I generously abused on the amount of power to put in, I shook the boots to spread the power uniformly inside and dropped the excess and put back my plastic bags over my socks. We'll see this evening how it goes.

Well, DrSholl power did gather humidity, most of it. As my pull my feet out, the bags were in a crumbing cast of what turned in a nice drywall plaster paste...

I scratched and broke and pulled most of it by hand out of the boots. The next day, it got pretty dry.

As of today, if I put these boot to fast and stomp into them, a nice puff of dr sholl blows in my face as I bend over, but I can tell you they don't smell, and probably wont for the rest of their useful life!
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote