Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #2476
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Unless someone who has a Zumo 660 & and an Android can chime in and say they are successfully listening to music from their Android while also having a Zumo 660/665 BT in, I don't think it will work. Everything I've read from earlier reports is that the Zumo 660 hogs the A2DP profile (there's only 1 of those profiles available on the SMH10) even if you don't select it as a music device. Even if you get the android to pair first and grab both the HFP & A2DP profiles, the Zumo keeps trying to grab the A2DP profile once its paired which causes disconnect issues with the Zumo? The solution I've seen is guys hardwire their Zumo 660 to the SR10 which is an HFP only device and easily pairs as the 2nd mulitpoint pairing on the SMH10.

In theory on a "normal BT device", you should be able to do a "selective" pairing on the Zumo 660 with the Multipoint Pairing setup so only the HFP profile connects, but I haven't seen anyone say they were successful with that setup? The Zumo 660/665 is in dire need of a firmware upgrade to fix this issue.
BTW, I just found something new when I was googling Zumo 660 + Android + Sena SMH10. The guy mentions in the last post he was told my Garmin that the Zumo 665 can act as an A2DP pass through so that if your smart phone was paired to the Zumo 660/665 for both phone calls and music, it would pass music through the Zumo to the Sena? I've never heard of that before and not even sure its possible? That would almost mean that the Zumo 660/665 would have to have 2 different A2DP profiles to be able to pair with both the phone and the Sena headset simultaneously and I don't think it does. Like most GPS's it passes phone audio through the GPS via the HFP profile, but I'm really doubting its able to do that for music also, so take that statement with a grain of salt. Also would this be true for both the 660 & the 665? I thought only XM capabilities were different between them, but I'm not sure what else? - http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index....owtopic=145636

Below is the post. I have my strong doubts that this is the case or I think we'd have heard a lot more guys setting up their systems like this.
Quote:
Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:20 AM
FWIW, I had an email discussion with Garmin regarding the AD2P capabilities of the Zumo 665. They said it can act as a "passthrough" device, meaning, you can pair your ad2p phone to the 665, then 665 to Sena, and Sena will get ad2p via the zumo. Not sure if avrcp will be passed through, but I suspect it would.

In other words, with the zumo 665, you could pair the iphone and zumo using both ad2p and hfp, then sena and zumo with both ad2p and hfp. BUt I haven't tried this, because a) I have a zumo 550 and B) I prefer Android over iPhone and thus can separate hfp/ad2p pairing
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #2477
Ken_photo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Yeah, the manual shows that setup, but it doesn't work and really there is no reason for it to not work other than a huge Garmin flaw in the way they handle their BT setup.
So then if I pair the phone to the Zumo 660 and the Zumo to the Sena. I can only listen to the phone if the Zumo is being used and if not then the phone will not work for listening to music?

What happens if the phone (Nexus) is paired to the Zumo and both the Zumo and phone is paired to the Sena? Will it work while both GPS and phone music? Will it work if the GPS is not used?
Ken_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #2478
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Zumo + phone + helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_photo View Post
So then if I pair the phone to the Zumo 660 and the Zumo to the Sena. I can only listen to the phone if the Zumo is being used and if not then the phone will not work for listening to music?

What happens if the phone (Nexus) is paired to the Zumo and both the Zumo and phone is paired to the Sena? Will it work while both GPS and phone music? Will it work if the GPS is not used?
It may be no consolation to this thread - but it seems to be a bit of a science project to get Zumo/phone/headset all to play nicely. I rode last fall with a buddy with a new $1100 Schuberth C3 (with an integrated Cardo Scala G4), a brand-new iPhone and a new top-of-the-line Zumo. He tried to pair to me with my Scala G4 and iPhone. We rode together for 4 hours and he could NEVER get this whole shebang working for more than 30 minutes at a time. Either the intercom would stop working, music would stop, or both.

I've tried to keep my setup simpler by getting the iPhone to do everything (music, phone, nav) - requiring only one BT interface. Another benefit avoiding the $700+ on the Zumo. It's not perfect yet with the Sena, but it is close.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #2479
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
I would do that if the iPhone had a stand alone navigation app that took routes :/

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #2480
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I would do that if the iPhone had a stand alone navigation app that worked worth a damn!:/
Fixed for ya!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #2481
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
whole 'nother thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I would do that if the iPhone had a stand alone navigation app that took routes :/
Sent from my iPhone
I use several iPhone apps that work very well (Magellan Roadmate, Waze, Motion X, Motion X Drive).

Having said that - none of them can download a route from Google Maps AND give you turn-by-turn directions to stay on it. The apps can do one or the other, but not both. My solution is simply to create address entries in my phone book for important waypoints and let the nav system talk me to them. I'm heading to Chester, GA this weekend and don't want to stay on I-75 from Michigan. With just a few points entered (Gatlinburg, TN; Winder, GA) I have a nice route. It works for me.

Back to the thread: I'm liking my Sena SMH10 and this will be my first long-distance ride with the whole setup. My wife tells me that the microphone audio is much better than the boom mic on my Scala G4.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #2482
Ken_photo
Adventurer

Further thoughts on the Zumo/Android Galaxy Nexus/Sena issues.

If instead of the Zumo 660 which is A2DP, I bought the Zumo 350 which is not A2DP (listed as helmet and headset use only). Would that work to allow:

1) GPS audio prompts from the Zumo 350
2) Stereo music from my Android Galaxy Nexus

Not important dealing with phone calls, but would be a plus.

If it would work, would I pair both the Zumo and Nexus direct to the Sena or the Nexus paired to the Zumo 350 and that to the Sena (with no direct pairing of the phone to the Sena)?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #2483
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
You can pair the phone to the Zumo and have control of your phone functions via the GPS, however this will only be "phone call audio" you will here. In this case the Zumo acts as a bridge between the phone and the Sena.

Quote:
Again, in any scenario besides the Zumo 660, this setup would work. Android allows you to do "selective" pairing and basically pair to the Zumo for phone functions and to the Sena for music. But once again, the culprit here is the Zumo 660 and that A2DP profile it insists on using regardless if its needed. (IE if you aren't listening to music from the Zumo, you should be able to not have the A2DP profile connect, but it doesn't have that function built into it).

What determines what works and how is BT profiles. HFP & A2DP are the two main profiles in play here. HFP is what's used by your phone for phone conversations and also what is used by the GPS for navigation instructions. Whether your phone is paired through the Zumo or directly to the Sena, HFP is the BT profile that is used for basic phone functions. The Sena has 2 HFP connections, one main connection, and one called "Multi-Point" Pairing. So technically the phone and the GPS should be able to be paired simultaneously to the Sena headset. Again, any other GPS besides the 660 would do this.

This is only an issue with the 660 because its one of the few GPS's that actually support A2DP which is the BT profile that is used for music.

If you never plan on listening to music via your GPS, why not get the Zumo 550 instead. The Zumo 550 only has HFP so it can connect to the multi-point connection and your Nexus can have the main HFP and the A2DP connection. My Dad has a Zumo 550 with the Sena SMH10, so I know this setup works.

If you wanted to control your phone functions via the Zumo 550, since you are using an Android, you could also do where your Nexus is paired to the Zumo 550 for phone and paired directly to the Sena for music.

Basically, taking the Zumo 660 out of the equation solves your issue.

If you are dead set on the Zumo 660, then figure on buying the SR10 also and hardwire your Zumo 660 to SR10 and pair that to the SMH10 and again it solves your issue.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #2484
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:

If instead of the Zumo 660 which is A2DP, I bought the Zumo 350 which is not A2DP (listed as helmet and headset use only). Would that work to allow:

If it would work, would I pair both the Zumo and Nexus direct to the Sena or the Nexus paired to the Zumo 350 and that to the Sena (with no direct pairing of the phone to the Sena)?
Sorry, didn't see this post on the next page.

Basically yes, instead of the 550 that I suggested, the 350 would work too. I'm not familiar with this GPS, but if it has the headset profile only (HSP/HFP) then yes it will work as you expect. The A2DP profile of the Zumo 660 is what is causing all the issues.

You could do it either way. You could pair the Nexus directly to the Sena with both HFP & A2DP and basically have phone and music. Your Zumo 350 would be paired on the multi-point pairing and would give you navigation instructions via the Sena.

The other option is to do a "selective" pairing of the Nexus to the Sena for music only. (You have to do this to get music). You also pair the Nexus to the Zumo 350 for phone control via the GPS (HFP connection). And finally, you would pair the Zumo 350 to the Sena (also HFP) for both navigation and phone audio. This basically should give you on screen control of your phone via the GPS, if it supports that. Most do, but I'm not quite familiar with that GPS. The Sena would still control the music functions of the phone via the jog dial.

The 1st way is more simple, especially if you don't really plan on making phone calls or if you have a good voice dialing app. Its easy to answer calls the 1st way also. The 1st way also is good if you may not always have the GPS with you, then you can always count on the Sena and the Nexus pairing with both profiles regardless if the GPS is in the mix.

The 2nd way with the Nexus paired to the GPS comes in handy if you are searching for something on your GPS like a restaurant and want to call them to see if its open, the GPS has the phone number built in and can automatically call that number with just a few keystrokes on the GPS if the phone is paired to it. Pretty cool feature actually. Your phone audio is routed through the GPS to your headset.

Both ways will work, its up to you on which one works better for you.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 06:54 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2485
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:

I have no experience with the Zumo 660 or 350, but you should have a couple options:

1. Pair the Nexus to the Sena using the Sena's standard Phone pairing mode.
AND Pair the Zumo to the Sena using the Sena's multipoint pairing mode. You should be able to hear prompts and continue controlling the phone for music and phone calls directly from the Sena.

2. (If the Zumo supports this) pair the Nexus to the Zumo. Pair the Zumo to the Sena using the Sena's standard phone pairing mode. AND pair the Nexus to the Sena using Sena's Media Selective Pairing mode. This requires that the nexus will be okay paired HFP to the Zumo and A2DP to the Sena. This only works if the Zumo can act as an intermediate device between the phone and Sena.

Make sure you read the Sena 4.2 version of the manual, and that the Sena is running version 4.2 of its firmware.
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #2486
Ken_photo
Adventurer

Thanks all. That seems to be the solution. I'll get the Zumo 350. I'll probable do the first option you both mentioned since although it would be nice to have the option to make calls from the Zumo, I won't always have it with me and this way I can still make call using my headset.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2487
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks all. That seems to be the solution. I'll get the Zumo 350. I'll probable do the first option you both mentioned since although it would be nice to have the option to make calls from the Zumo, I won't always have it with me and this way I can still make call using my headset.
I think you have to use the first option with the 350LM... (Nexus to Sena using Phone pairing, Zumo to Sena using Multipoint Pairing.) I downloaded the manual on the Zumo 350LM, and it doesn't mention anything about being able to act as a head-unit for your phone. It only mentions sending spoken direction information to your headset.

I just ordered the new TomTom Rider myself, because I didn't want to pay the extra $200 for any of the Garmins. If TomTom and Amazon are right, I should get it in a couple weeks... The TomTom supports acting as a controller for your phone, displaying caller information and letting you make calls to the phone numbers associated with POIs.

That said, I've read reports on both Garmin and TomTom that using them between your phone and headset lowers the voice quality...

Good luck with whatever GPS you end up going with! I'm sure you'll get it to play nice with the Sena with only a little work.

-Alec
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #2488
Ken_photo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I think you have to use the first option with the 350LM... (Nexus to Sena using Phone pairing, Zumo to Sena using Multipoint Pairing.) I downloaded the manual on the Zumo 350LM, and it doesn't mention anything about being able to act as a head-unit for your phone. It only mentions sending spoken direction information to your headset.

I just ordered the new TomTom Rider myself, because I didn't want to pay the extra $200 for any of the Garmins. If TomTom and Amazon are right, I should get it in a couple weeks... The TomTom supports acting as a controller for your phone, displaying caller information and letting you make calls to the phone numbers associated with POIs.

That said, I've read reports on both Garmin and TomTom that using them between your phone and headset lowers the voice quality...

Good luck with whatever GPS you end up going with! I'm sure you'll get it to play nice with the Sena with only a little work.

-Alec
What model TomTom rider are you getting? They stopped selling the rider in the US and only sell in Europe. I had the Rider 2 and they had lots of issues with the mounts not working for charging. I went through three myself. Tried to see if I could send it in for repairs and they won't even repair them now.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #2489
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What model TomTom rider are you getting? They stopped selling the rider in the US and only sell in Europe. I had the Rider 2 and they had lots of issues with the mounts not working for charging. I went through three myself. Tried to see if I could send it in for repairs and they won't even repair them now.
The 2013 relaunch of the Rider - Version 5 - 4.3" Widescreen

It's not shipping in the US yet, according to TomTom, it will be on May 15th. See the links below for more info & discussion specific to the Rider so we can stick to Sena talk here.

I've read some similar complains about the mounts on the older version. Fingers crossed that this one is better. The mount looks similar in shape, but uses 7 pins instead of 4. Hopefully the voltage regulator inside it is more robust.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products...ider/index.jsp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869520

I'll be doing testing on how to get my iPhone and Sena SMH10 working with the Rider when it arrives, and can report on the Sena compatibility and configuration details once I do.

-Alec
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #2490
Ken_photo
Adventurer

What initial steps do I have to take in updating my Sena with the new GPS and Firmware 4.2.

1) Do I do a fault reset or reset to faculty default settings?

2) Do this before or after firmware update?

3) When do I delete previous pairing?