Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Suggestions on a woman's dual sport jacket??

New to ADVrider and my first dual sport. I have ridden off-road and motocross for years. I am trying to decide what jacket to buy for my DRZ400. I want one with padded elbows, shoulders, and back. Any suggestions?? (Any advice on pants is appreciated as well). Thanks in advance!
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,562
Tourmaster Flex pants and a mesh jacket with an insulated rain/wind-liner will cover you year-round. Treat them with CampDry HD. Men have the option of jackets like the Icon Hooligan 2 Mil-Spec in orange. Look for something like that for women, unless you want a 3/4L ADV jacket. Tourmaster Sonora 3/4L in hi-viz green works for me year-round after treating the rain liner with CampDry HD. Chest armor plates fit in the large front pockets. I'm pretty sure Tourmaster makes something similar for women.

I sometimes wear an Acerbis Cosmo chest protector w/kidney belt under my jacket, or wear just the Cosmo over a hi-viz t-shirt with some elbow/forearm armor on hot days. Alpinestars has a Stella chest protector rig for women, and a few other mfrs offer armor rigs for women.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,276
motogirl, there are a bunch of different brands that make jackets that fit well and look pretty good on women. I do all my riding with regular riding jackets because I'm often on paved roads for many miles getting to and from the off-road and dirt road riding.

Seeing that you're in GA, you may want mesh. Take a look at the Olympia Airglide (up to version 4 now). It comes with a waterproof insulated liner. It hits right about the hips. I have a version 2 and like it a lot, but it doesn't get a ton of wear as it's rarely that hot up here. The liner is waterproof in the few storms I've been in.

I used an Olympia AST (up to version 2 now) for four years of commuting in all kinds of weather, as well as touring on my DRZ and the occasional trail ride. It stopped being waterproof around 2 1/2 years. I liked it, but it wasn't the most feminine of looks. Comes with a thermal liner. Lots of pockets. Cinches on the waist, hip zippers to accommodate small or large hips, and two sets cinches on the arms for a good fit.

I've since switched to Rukka brand as I've picked up a couple of jackets cheap on eBay and craigslist. If you're looking for really good fit, good armor coverage, and good quality, I think it can't be beat. New, the jackets can run $300-$800. Used, I got one for $100 and another for $125. I like them because they're waterproof without a liner (exterior is waterproof), the armor is lightweight but excellent quality, and the fit, oh my, the fit! The jackets usually have zips at the hips to expand if needed and two sets of snaps on the arms, upper and lower, to get a "custom" fit.

All but the Airglide have passed the "fall down, go boom" test. I've yet to test the airglide.

I also have a BMW jacket, I think it's the Savanna, purchased used off the flea market. I like the looks, the armor and the fit except the arms are way too short. I'm 5'11" with long arms...it would fit a smaller woman for sure.

Here are some pics so you have an idea of fit. I'm 5'11", 135 lbs.

Rukka -- there's an insulated jacket shoved into the back pocket

Olympia AST (hits below the hips)

AST -- it's not the most flattering thing 'cos it's got so many pockets...I don't put stuff in the pockets as I figure that'd be bad for when I fall (which I should probably do less of)

Olympia Airglide 2

BMW Savanna (hits at hips)

Let me know if you have questions. I'm a gear whore
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Tourmaster Flex pants and a mesh jacket with an insulated rain/wind-liner will cover you year-round. Treat them with CampDry HD. Men have the option of jackets like the Icon Hooligan 2 Mil-Spec in orange. Look for something like that for women, unless you want a 3/4L ADV jacket. Tourmaster Sonora 3/4L in hi-viz green works for me year-round after treating the rain liner with CampDry HD. Chest armor plates fit in the large front pockets. I'm pretty sure Tourmaster makes something similar for wome.
My gf wears some of those and she totally looks hot in them, they also keep them worm and dry as a bonus
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
motogirl, there are a bunch of different brands that make jackets that fit well and look pretty good on women. I do all my riding with regular riding jackets because I'm often on paved roads for many miles getting to and from the off-road and dirt road riding.

Seeing that you're in GA, you may want mesh. Take a look at the Olympia Airglide (up to version 4 now). It comes with a waterproof insulated liner. It hits right about the hips. I have a version 2 and like it a lot, but it doesn't get a ton of wear as it's rarely that hot up here. The liner is waterproof in the few storms I've been in.

I used an Olympia AST (up to version 2 now) for four years of commuting in all kinds of weather, as well as touring on my DRZ and the occasional trail ride. It stopped being waterproof around 2 1/2 years. I liked it, but it wasn't the most feminine of looks. Comes with a thermal liner. Lots of pockets. Cinches on the waist, hip zippers to accommodate small or large hips, and two sets cinches on the arms for a good fit.

I've since switched to Rukka brand as I've picked up a couple of jackets cheap on eBay and craigslist. If you're looking for really good fit, good armor coverage, and good quality, I think it can't be beat. New, the jackets can run $300-$800. Used, I got one for $100 and another for $125. I like them because they're waterproof without a liner (exterior is waterproof), the armor is lightweight but excellent quality, and the fit, oh my, the fit! The jackets usually have zips at the hips to expand if needed and two sets of snaps on the arms, upper and lower, to get a "custom" fit.

All but the Airglide have passed the "fall down, go boom" test. I've yet to test the airglide.

I also have a BMW jacket, I think it's the Savanna, purchased used off the flea market. I like the looks, the armor and the fit except the arms are way too short. I'm 5'11" with long arms...it would fit a smaller woman for sure.

Here are some pics so you have an idea of fit. I'm 5'11", 135 lbs.

Rukka -- there's an insulated jacket shoved into the back pocket

Olympia AST (hits below the hips)

AST -- it's not the most flattering thing 'cos it's got so many pockets...I don't put stuff in the pockets as I figure that'd be bad for when I fall (which I should probably do less of)

Olympia Airglide 2

BMW Savanna (hits at hips)

Let me know if you have questions. I'm a gear whore
I would love a Rukka but I will just have to catch one on ebay some time. I am looking to get one very soon. I am looking at the Airglide. Are the elbow and shoulder pads hard plastic? What do you think about the fit? Looking at their size chart, I should be a medium. I'm 5'7"-5'8" and 135 lbs. Thank you for the info and pictures!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Revit

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogirl25 View Post
New to ADVrider and my first dual sport. I have ridden off-road and motocross for years. I am trying to decide what jacket to buy for my DRZ400. I want one with padded elbows, shoulders, and back. Any suggestions?? (Any advice on pants is appreciated as well). Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the Revit Ladies Ventura suit. Revit ladies clothing is really cut well for women. Unlike some other brands that aren't designed with women in mind revit really designed this suit from the ground up with women in mind. http://http://www.revit.eu/en/#/products/FJT118 Only thing I would do with any Revit jacket is upgrade the back protector. They come standard with a foam pad which doesn't cut it. Their reasoning is a large percentage of riders take out the back protector as soon as they get the jacket and they are trying to keep the costs under control.

I know your not riding a BMW, but they also just came out with an adventure riding suit specifically designed for women. It is called the GS Dry ladies. Seeing it in person it is a really sharp looking suit for a woman rider.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
BMW has some really good gear that actually fits women AND is protective. My wife loves her hear:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogirl25 View Post
I would love a Rukka but I will just have to catch one on ebay some time. I am looking to get one very soon. I am looking at the Airglide. Are the elbow and shoulder pads hard plastic? What do you think about the fit? Looking at their size chart, I should be a medium. I'm 5'7"-5'8" and 135 lbs. Thank you for the info and pictures!
The Airglide armor (shoulder and elbow) is rubbery like solid plastic...it's got a CE rating. The back is also CE and it's articulated like an armadillo. As for sizing, my jacket is a small. I got the AST in a medium and there's tons of layering space. The Airglide I got in a small as I usually only wear a short sleeve wool t-shirt when riding or a blouse when commuting (and I have a small chest :). There's plenty of room for the liner or an insulated jacket to cut the cold morning air.

I'm surprised more women of ADV haven't posted...we are around...you may want to try the girls thread. I know the guys try to help with what they or their wives/girlfriends wear, but we often need specifics.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
The Airglide armor (shoulder and elbow) is rubbery like solid plastic...it's got a CE rating. The back is also CE and it's articulated like an armadillo. As for sizing, my jacket is a small. I got the AST in a medium and there's tons of layering space. The Airglide I got in a small as I usually only wear a short sleeve wool t-shirt when riding or a blouse when commuting (and I have a small chest :). There's plenty of room for the liner or an insulated jacket to cut the cold morning air.

I'm surprised more women of ADV haven't posted...we are around...you may want to try the girls thread. I know the guys try to help with what they or their wives/girlfriends wear, but we often need specifics.
I also have the Olympia Airglide for Summer-Fall and the AST for winter. Same sizes, too (funny). I really like both coats and will probably replace with same when they wear out.
For pants I am currently in BMW Comfortshells (best e-bay bargain ever). The armor is really good at the knees/hips, fit really well, and are pretty waterproof yet breathable. Not breathable enough for hot summer days, though.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you to everyone who has posted some info (men and women)! I really appreciate it. Thanks lilolita and Kommando for sizing and fit answers! This really helps in the search for a jacket. I had my first short ride on the DRZ today and I can't wait to get some better gear.