User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Oddometer: 52
Custom crash barz advice/critique PLEASE

I am planning my first ADV ride and I need experienced opinions on this design of crash bar. I am having to build this myself because none are available for my bike (not many take this bike off the tarmac).

I have never ridden (or crashed) a bike with crash bars, so I know very little about what makes a good design and what does not. I have frame and axle sliders, but I felt that it would be a good idea to add crash bars, a skid plate and better bark busters. I have a spare sub frame that I plan to weld mounts for bags too, but that's another story.

THE PROJECT
Instead of wasting a bunch of metal, I decided to mock up a design made from one inch wood dowels. Instead of welding crash bars to my frame, I decided to use some tube clamps used in off road cars and trucks (not pictured). I feel that it would be a good idea to weaken (drill) the chrome moly tubes near where they attach to the frame so that they will be the first thing to bend versus my frame. I tried to style the thing to loosely follow the looks of the bike.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[img}[img}
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,103
Hmm
I'd set out a thick blanket and lay the bike over and see what's the first point of contact, then work out from there.
I don't think I'd have anything that would bolt to, weld to or otherwise transfer crash forces to the frame.

There's a bash plate made for this bike out there somewhere, it's under $250 last time I looked.

I'd think about getting replacement non carbon fiber panel for the Belt guards and the exhaust heat shields and fr fender.

That point as you have it designed will be a weak point and in the worst case could slice the living hell out of you if you landed on it wrong.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
From a strength standpoint, bends are much better than welds.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.

bomber60015 screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 10:11 AM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
From a strength standpoint, bends are much better than welds.
Yes, I agree. I have a friend with nice tube benders, but for the mock I just wanted to rough in a design....I was unable to bend the wood rods. I just hope that he can bend the tubes at those radii. I wanted to keep the overall size of the CB small and thus weight. Thank you!

vcvarmitcong screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 12:29 PM
vcvarmitcong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Hmm
I'd set out a thick blanket and lay the bike over and see what's the first point of contact, then work out from there.

Will do.

I don't think I'd have anything that would bolt to, weld to or otherwise transfer crash forces to the frame.

Hmmm. I thought that they all had to be attached to the frame in one fashion or another. For this bike, I can see no other choice. This is why I felt that it would be a good idea weaken the CB so that the CB metal could absorb more of the impact.

There's a bash plate made for this bike out there somewhere, it's under $250 last time I looked.

I've not been able to find anything for the hyper so far, other than home made or multistrada modified stuff.

I'd think about getting replacement non carbon fiber panel for the Belt guards and the exhaust heat shields and fr fender.

Do you recommend this in order to save those parts from damage? Those items come standard with the hyper S (along with upgraded suspension) so they are not bolt on blings that I've added. I would like to have a longer arc fender with more tire clearance, but I'd have to make that too.

That point as you have it designed will be a weak point and in the worst case could slice the living hell out of you if you landed on it wrong.

Yeah, good point (intended). I think that won't be an issue If I can get most of this made with a bender. Thank you for the input!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
MK96xj
100% Seat Time

Oddometer: 403
Check out this guys stuff

https://sites.google.com/site/sailwa66/Home/strada-avventurosa
MK96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
The advice to lay the bike down & see what touches first is excellent. The only thing I would add is that the bike probably won't be at a stop when it goes down. Try & triangulate the strongpoints so there will always be one or more lined up with the direction of travel. When it hits the ground, there will be force vectors along the length of travel, not just straight down. Also, try to avoid sharp bends/angles. You want the bike to slide & scrub off speed on it's side, not dig in and pitch on to the other side or somersault, end over end.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK96xj View Post
Thanks, I've seen his products. They are very nice, but the only one that will fit the HM (w/o major mods) is the skid plate. I didn't like it because it did nothing for the horiz. head pipe.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
The advice to lay the bike down & see what touches first is excellent. The only thing I would add is that the bike probably won't be at a stop when it goes down. Try & triangulate the strongpoints so there will always be one or more lined up with the direction of travel. When it hits the ground, there will be force vectors along the length of travel, not just straight down. Also, try to avoid sharp bends/angles. You want the bike to slide & scrub off speed on it's side, not dig in and pitch on to the other side or somersault, end over end.
Thanks Jim, sage advice. Thinking about what you've stated and considering the above "Strada" crash bar, it attaches to the other side under the triple and seems to have those attributes you mentioned.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,103
Carbon fiber is not very flexible, ABS plastic is slightly more flexible, and cheaper to replace.

Lots of crash bars mount to places that you really don't want to transfer the force of a crash to.
But Ducati frames are very fragile, as are their engine casting, broken swingarm mounts are not uncommon.

If you bolt to the frame bolt somewhere, where the force of the crash is not between two hard points like in the middle of a span of tubes or even where two tubes meet.

Build something into the crashbar that's designed to fail and absorb some of the force of the crash.Not unlike how they notch the back side of hand control levers.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
vcvarmitcong OP
Cheekrashsucks

Thanks Squish.