Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #301
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
The dealer will blow off removing the collar from the tank. They will install a new one, then you will have 2 collars floating in the tank soon.

That's what I'm betting too.

I had the same problem and got hassled by the dealer. They put the new plastic stop assembly in, but it is very flimsy and will just pop on and off. I seriously doubt the dealer, based upon their reaction and level of service, would have gone to the trouble of removing the tank. At some point in the future I'll remove it myself and check it.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #302
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Tire Balancing

For any of you guys who replace your own tires, how do balance them? If you don't balance, do you fee the increase in vibrations at all?

THanks!
y0y02369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #303
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
For any of you guys who replace your own tires, how do balance them? If you don't balance, do you fee the increase in vibrations at all?

THanks!
Put "Ride On" in your tubes smooth's things out.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #304
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
Put "Ride On" in your tubes smooth's things out.
And that's enough to balance? Nice!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #305
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,177
Quote:

THanks!
I static balance with a couple of crates and the axle. Will rotate the tire around the wheel 'till it's close, then finish up with stick-on weights. Works fine up to about 85, then you feel it if it's not perfect. Going to go ahead and invest in a more precise static balancer like a Marc Parnes or similar. I want smooth up to 100. Motion-Pro makes really nice stick-on weights that are narrower than the ones for cars so they stick on the shoulder without issue. I do the Husky the same way, it takes quite a bit of weight to offset the rimlock. I have it pretty close with internal weights opposite the lock, then can usually get it right on with an ounce or less on the outside.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #306
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I static balance with a couple of crates and the axle. Will rotate the tire around the wheel 'till it's close, then finish up with stick-on weights. Works fine up to about 85, then you feel it if it's not perfect. Going to go ahead and invest in a more precise static balancer like a Marc Parnes or similar. I want smooth up to 100. Motion-Pro makes really nice stick-on weights that are narrower than the ones for cars so they stick on the shoulder without issue. I do the Husky the same way, it takes quite a bit of weight to offset the rimlock. I have it pretty close with internal weights opposite the lock, then can usually get it right on with an ounce or less on the outside.

Oh wow i didn't know it could be this simple! thanks a bunch! Do you always mount and balance your own wheels or just sometimes?

Greatly appreciate it Browneye!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #307
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:

I can tell you form personal experience that the Marc Parnes unit pictured here is outstanding. I have used it for years and it is exceptional. Worth every penny and high quality. Also, if you are doing different bikes with different wheel sizes, you just need to buy the different spindles and they all slide onto the main assembly. I support it across two jack stands for the balancing. Good pick Browneye!
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #308
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
i use that one too and it's awesome
http://www.marcparnes.com/

i use to use stick on weights but have moved over to these (fits XC only)
http://stores.ebay.com/THE-REUSABLE-...p2047675.l2563
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786255

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #309
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Oh wow i didn't know it could be this simple! thanks a bunch! Do you always mount and balance your own wheels or just sometimes?

Greatly appreciate it Browneye!
I'm a cheap bastard so I can't imagine paying someone to do something that I can do myself.

For a motorbike you need to be able to change your own tires if you run tubes. If you get a flat out on the road or in the boonies there's no one going to come rescue your ass. If you have AAA I guess you could just have it towed home if you get a flat, but that would probably not work where we go. If you have tubeless you could probably get by with always using an installer as you can generally just plug them if you pick up a nail or screw. I always carry a spare tube, patch kit, irons, and a 12v air compressor. A front tube will work in the back in a pinch. For long distance I carry a spare for front and rear. You need some rim protectors if you're going to use tire irons on the Tiger XC black wheels. I cut pieces out of plastic container lids. Otherwise your rims will look like caca. If you do scratch one a Sharpie pen works wonders.

I have two sets of tires for my XC. FullBore USA Adventure tires and the Pirelli Scorpion Trails that came on it. Will change them out based on the type of riding I'm going to be doing. I won't change them for every ride, but one is definitely better than the other on dirt, and the other is definitely better on pavement.

Once I have them balanced up I mark the valve stem location on the sidewall with some white auto touch-up paint. A paint marker works for this too. That way if you change out the tires, or have to dismount to repair in the field, you can get them back to the correct balance place. I also notate how many miles I put on each so I can keep track of wear longevity, and how much weight each set requires so I can adjust if necessary.

Field repairs require a centerstand or an enduro-star stand. You need some way to hold the bike up for wheel removal. With a center stand the side stand works stellar as a bead breaker. The 21 front is easy to break down, virtually impossible by hand for the rear. And enduro-star stand works great for a dualsport. I carry mine on the tiger as well for holding up front or back once it's on the center. I"m usually well loaded with gear, so this is also a great tool to carry.

I use a cheap slime air pump, took the guts out and threw away the housing, installed an SAE connector so I can just plug into the charge port. Kept the air pressure dial and the on/off switch. It's really handy to use but gets hot, so you let it cool before stowing away again. And now it fits under the seat. Also good for airing back up if you lower pressure for off pavement going. 22-23 lbs on the Tiger makes a HUGE difference in traction and ride. Back up to 36/42 for hiway. If you run tubed tires on the hiway at the low pressure you're likely to burn them right up.

browneye screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 08:20 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #310
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
I have two sets of tires for my XC. FullBore USA Adventure tires and the Pirelli Scorpion Trails that came on it. Will change them out based on the type of riding I'm going to be doing. I won't change them for every ride, but one is definitely better than the other on dirt, and the other is definitely better on pavement.
Do you keep your tires on separate rims or do you change out the tires? I would love to have two sets of rims and do easy swaps.
'07 KTM 990 Adventure (gone), '08 Ducati 848 (RIP), '08 Hypermotard 1100 (gone), '86 Yamaha YX600 Radian (gone)
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #311
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
saw the EXACT same issue with the increased vibrations in another thread... all after the 500 mile service. Almost ever time it was due to the chain being too tight. Try loosening it a bit and see how that feels...
I checked the chain and I actually think its loose. I am getting 40-50mm of deflection. The alignment was off about 1/16in so I corrected that but that didn't fix the vibration issue. That did fix the rear brake binding issue I was occasionally hearing. I can feel the vibration just revving the bike up to 5k so I am thinking it is engine related or possibly exhaust related. Finally got my hands on a service manual so I will be rechecking torque of every bolt I can find. Been raining all week here so havent been able to mess with it much.

I have been hearing a weird noise as the revs increase up to about 3k from the front header area. Almost like a baseball card in the spokes type of noise. Definitely from the front engine area and sounds like an exhaust leak but can't feel anything.

Any tricks to finding an exhaust leak?
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #312
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
I checked the chain and I actually think its loose. I am getting 40-50mm of deflection. The alignment was off about 1/16in so I corrected that but that didn't fix the vibration issue. That did fix the rear brake binding issue I was occasionally hearing. I can feel the vibration just revving the bike up to 5k so I am thinking it is engine related or possibly exhaust related. Finally got my hands on a service manual so I will be rechecking torque of every bolt I can find. Been raining all week here so havent been able to mess with it much.

I have been hearing a weird noise as the revs increase up to about 3k from the front header area. Almost like a baseball card in the spokes type of noise. Definitely from the front engine area and sounds like an exhaust leak but can't feel anything.

Any tricks to finding an exhaust leak?
If you put a little piece of tissue paper or a small part of a plastic bag on some type of little thin rod you can see an exhaust leak pretty easily by the tissue/bag shaking.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #313
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you Browneye and Eakins!

I would actually love to have two sets of tires as well. I commute on my bike so i need good, reliable tires for the freeway but then i want to start going offroad so i need some dual sport tires too!! Now it looks like i can do both!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #314
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Do you keep your tires on separate rims or do you change out the tires? I would love to have two sets of rims and do easy swaps.
If I commuted and really needed to have road tires between dirt stints then I would have an extra set of wheels. But no, I just change the tires out when I know I'm going to be doing a lot of road riding.

I have an extra bike instead.

Seriously, if a guy put a K60 on the back, which is good on and off, and just changed out the front for a knobby or street tire, he'd be pretty much covered for everything. The front is so easy to change out.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #315
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post

I have the same problem, it drives we crazy. Dealer says they can't hear it.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote