Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #1006
Racinace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
NORRA is a stand up organization!

Ken Wortman wanted me to pass on to anyone who would listen that

"NORRA did right by Jimmy and Dawna. He said they were treated with nothing but kindness and respect. They took care of everything from getting Jim home to flying the girls back to the states. Stand up crew to the max!"

I was supposed to be on this trip with Ken and Jimmy but had to pull out due to a new job that I will be starting in June. Ken and I have both committed to race this event next year! I know that Jimmy and Aaron will be riding with us to the finish!
06 KTM 525exc (plated)
4 time Baja 1000 finisher (08-11) 2x, 305x, 313x, 202x
Racinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #1007
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinace View Post
Ken Wortman wanted me to pass on to anyone who would listen that

"NORRA did right by Jimmy and Dawna. He said they were treated with nothing but kindness and respect. They took care of everything from getting Jim home to flying the girls back to the states. Stand up crew to the max!"

I was supposed to be on this trip with Ken and Jimmy but had to pull out due to a new job that I will be starting in June. Ken and I have both committed to race this event next year! I know that Jimmy and Aaron will be riding with us to the finish!
This is great to hear that NORRA did everything in their power to help the family!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #1008
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Alex I just dropped you a couple bucks (embarrassingly little, in the middle of changing jobs) to help defray Dawna's costs. Would it be appropriate to start a separate thread regarding this effort?
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #1009
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Alex I just dropped you a couple bucks (embarrassingly little, in the middle of changing jobs) to help defray Dawna's costs. Would it be appropriate to start a separate thread regarding this effort?

I appreciate the help KN! Yes I think a new thread for this would be appropriate. So far we are at $725.00 in donations with a few sending in checks as well. We have had a great start with 6 people donating so far.
All of these funds will be given directly to Dawna in a few weeks in the form of a check.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1010
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,495
Godspeed Jimmy.
Dawna, you and your family are in our thoughts. I only just met you guys during this race but your kindness and enthusiam left an impression on me and my team.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #1011
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
for those of you not following our thread here, these are our two entries for 2013. Honzilla the oldest bike in the race is a 1971 SL350 Honda with some upgrades. She formerly finished 2nd in vintage lights last year. The Mexicans call her Ocho! Ocho! Ocho!
You guys just went by my place in Mulege(Posada Concepcion),obviously on your way home.I need to let everyone know where we are,so they can stop,stay over ,or see if we can help at all.We came down to Loretto on Monday night,to see everyone check in, and head out Tues.So sorry to hear about Jimmy.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #1012
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,135
I just crossed back into the states. I came up on Jimmy's accident. I have been upset ever since. This has deeply saddened me and I am so very sorry for Jimmy's family. I was not able to help him. The only thing we could do was give Jimmy his last offroad ride out in the back of my suburban. If is ok with his family I am renaming the suburban Jimmy in his honor.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #1013
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Thanks for helping, John.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #1014
BAZZER450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I am sure that Dawna would be more than pleased with that . Thank You very much for helping with this and getting Jimmy out and everything else You, Buddy and everyone else there did to make his final minutes as easy as possible.
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #1015
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 279
POSTED TODAY ON THUMPERTALK BAJA FORUM

"Hi,

This is the Michael Drotor referenced in the horribly inaccurate story posted on http://bajasafari.blogspot.com/. I would also ask that anyone capable of taking that site down, please do so. I was NOT on the scene of the accident when it occurred. I was waiting at the end of the stage with two of my team mates which happened to be certified EMT's and they had their gear with them. We heard from the NORRA guys that a rider had been hit and had a broken leg. They told us that it was going to be a while before a helicopter or ambulance would be able to help so we volunteered to go in and help if we could. We loaded up in our chase suburban and headed out to help as fast as we could. When we got to the scene which was eleven miles into the course, in a little under ten minutes, but it was too late but there was nothing we could have done anyway.

Again, not being present at the scene during the accident, this is as accurate as I can be. According to the people on the scene, including the co-driver of the 414 buggy, the 414 buggy was following Jimmy closely and Jimmy swapped ends after hitting a concrete vado. The 414 buggy was so close that they collided with him before he went down, causing broken bones and internal injuries. The driver of the buggy stopped and tried to render assistance along with a few other riders, including a doctor. They had been giving him CPR for a long time before giving up. Jimmy asked that his wife and son be told that he loved them and passed peacefully. When we got to the scene, the decision was made to load him up and transport him to the end of the stage. We met the ambulance about 5 miles from the crash scene and they checked his vitals and asked us to transport him the rest of the way out. We immediately agreed to do so and were honored to be able to help our fallen friend in any way we could. I had never met Jimmy before but my teammates had and any baja racer is a friend of mine. We were interviewed by the investigators and waited for the coroner to get there, then helped transfer his remains into their vehicle. It was a somber and sobering experience for everyone involved.

So that's what happened as far as I can tell. The course was extremely rough and tight and that buggy had no business being that close to him because there was no safe place to pass. The line of sight up the race course was clear for a long ways, probably half a mile, so I can see no excuse for that driver to have hit him. Again though, I was not there when it happened. My only advice for NORRA is to have an abmulance ready at the beginning and end of each stage and have a couple of heli's ready but other than that, they did a great job handling everything. I am however, extremely disappointed at the behavior of a lot of the buggy drivers as I heard stories of very inappropriate driving and scary passes from many motorcycle racers. I know people get excited when racing but it's just a race. I really hope that the driver sells his buggy and racing equipment and donates the proceeds to Jimmy's family. If he doesn't, I don't imagine he'll receive a warm welcome at future events to say the least.

All of that said, I never met Jimmy in person but from what I've read, I wish that I had. He'll always be a hero in my book and typing this all out is bring tears to my eyes. Someone has already said it, but he entered the next form of existence doing something awesome, something inspiring, and something that he loved. I believe that this is the path to heaven or whatever wonderful afterlife you believe in and I can only hope to go out in a similar fashion.

To Jimmy's friends and family, In my humble opinion, you have been extremely lucky to live in the presence of a true hero. My condolences go out to you. If there's anything I can do to help, with anything, say the word!

With permission of the family, we will be putting "Jimmy" badges on our chase Suburban and will be dedicating all future race/chase efforts in his honor. We will think of him and be inspired by him every time we bounce down the trails. "
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #1016
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Wow... all I can say...
Sapling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1017
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Such a tragedy to have a rider run over by a car and killed like that. I can understand a deadly single bike crash because that is a part of motorcycle racing on any level. But this was wrong somehow.

This year Norra tried to separate the bikes from the cars further, but it obviously wasn't enough for this event. While it is promoted as a 'fun' event, motor racing is racing. After this tragedy, a rider friend suggested to me that the bikes probably need to be fast enough to stay ahead of everybody on four wheels every day. At least not get caught by the amateur drivers. Most of those people are not Robby Gordon...

Seems like a good observation so I thought I'd post it.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #1018
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,104
In this rally I believe that bikes could easily be ran after the cars being that the vintage cars/trucks are less apt to tear up the the course and it being ran mostly on such huge double laned dirt roads. I was involved with a really gnarly uncalled for pass in last years rally regarding common sense and lack of care for others lives, some of the car/truck drivers need to give bikes a break when overtaking but this has been talked about for years now.

This is the second bike racer death in 3 years I have been heavily affected by, my first was a fellow ironman racer Steve Thompson whom passed while racing at the 2010 parker 250 in a crash in a rocky section. I think they both would tell all of us to race on !

I wished I had the chance to meet you Jimmy S.

Adios and keep an eye on us
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #1019
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,027
I don't think running bikes after cars would be a very good solution. You'd end up with even more car/bike interaction as the faster bikes catch the slower cars. And you don't want the bikes racing in the dark if possible - we don't have nearly the amount of light that the cars run.

It's a tough situation. Due to mechanical problems, I was in the middle of the cars on the first special stage and running pretty slow. For the most part, I stayed off to the side of the course, and had my head on a swivel constantly looking around to see if anybody was running up behind me.

Due to problems on the first day, I started as the very last bike on the 2nd day. And it was a long day (2 very long special stages). I started getting caught by cars on the 2nd special. I gave them room to pass, and again once I knew cars were coming through I was constantly looking back behind me to see if cars were coming. I had no problems with the cars. Each one that passed me did so carefully. I understand that wasn't the situation for everyone, but the cars were as careful as I could expect for me.

I came across Jimmy shortly after his accident. There was two buggies and a motorcyclist tending to him, and I was told he had a broken leg. I was also told that a sat phone call had been made and assistance was coming, so I continued on and met the first assistance vehicle on the course and explained how far back Jimmy was. I learned later that night that Jimmy had passed, but didn't know the specifics of what occurred.

I think the best situation for this event would be to run bikes each day by themselves, and then run the 4-wheel vehicles the following day. I understand this complicates the logistics for the course workers and NORRA significantly, and makes it more expensive. Bump up the entry fee as required, and let's make this race as safe as possible.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #1020
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I hate to weigh in too much on this, since I didn't even make the starting line this year, but I think cars first and cars on different days are both worse.

The roads we are racing on are public and open. I would much rather be out there the day that everyone knows the race is coming through than the day before or the day after and catch a work truck coming the other way. I'm not sure if D4SS1 used the same winding road cut into the side of a hill this year, but can you imagine what would happen? It wouldn't be good in the best case, let alone the worst.

I don't expect this will be a problem that will get solved and I would expect the race to be run the same next year, but I think they need to throw more people out of the race or not let them in in the first place. How about a race resume before you're allowed to tear up the desert with 400+hp?

Last year, Walker Evans was rumored to have buzzed a bike unsafely while on course, nerfed the pace truck and during my only interaction, sent his support crew of two raptors and a trailer up the course the wrong way while the race was hot. Thats just an example, but instead of not inviting him back, he's one of the featured drivers.

Also, how about a breathalyzer at every course in and out? You think the second half of the day no one has crushed a few tecate?

The unfortunate truth is that the best way to avoid danger from other competitors is to ride fast enough that they can't catch you.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote