|04-23-2013, 07:58 AM||#1|
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Perfect weekend in NSW Border Ranges "OZ"
With the weather forecasting to be perfect my 2 brothers, dad, cousin and I fired up the bikes early Saturday morning. Leaving from Brisbane with the plan to head south over the border ranges into New South Wales for our first real off road adventure ride.
The weapons of choice was my Weestrom, two XT250's, a rented XT660 and a big DR650 carrying a large man.
My new Ram mount did a great job of holding my phone for a GPS.
We headed south passing through beaudesert in the bitter cold. 10c... Cold for us Queenslanders... All the group complained about not being able to feel the clutch or front brake. It quickly warmed up to a perfect 20ish degrees once the sun was up.
Lake Maroon where the tar ended.
White Swamp road wasn't as swampy as I thought it would be. Spectacular farm land with a great gravel road.
We had some close calls going though the mossy causeways. I felt my front wheel slip out but stayed up. Dad wasn't as lucky and gunned it though, full lock from side to side but somehow stayed up.
The mighty Vstrom was better than I thought it was going to be on the small gravel.
Stopped for lunch in Woodenbong
Quick visit to Toolum Falls
From Toolum Falls we headed further south via Paddys flat road. Some great spots along the way was had for photos. Not a very challenging ride but we had 1 go off the road into some trees thanks to a sticky throttle.
Paddys Flat was an amazing ride. I had no idea such landscape was so close to where I have lived the past 25 years.
Tank traps from WWII
At the end of Paddys flat road we turned west though about 25Km's of twisties leaving the XT250 and XT660 for dead.
We made a turn at Sandy Hill though a sandy road though great country side with the road cut out of the side of grassy hills.
We had a bike tip over and was picked up via the throttle pulling the throttle cables. This stuffed the starter motor button so we where push starting the DR650 from here on out.
Took this photo of a big stick while waiting for the DR to start again
While heading over Boonoo Boonoo road the temperature started to swoop down on us. We all wanted to quickly rush home but first had to make a stop off at Bald Rock. We where guided in the wrong direction and only saw the base of the rock which was a disappointment. We agreed we will see it another day and heading down the big dirt highway for our overnight stay in Tenterfield.
Day 2 started with breakfast and the sound of Ducati caferacers doing mainies up and down the main street. Here is one of them.
We decided not to freeze and leave a bit later. Once the sun was out it was hot again.
We blasted down the Bruxner highway which is an amazing road for the first couple of K's but I have no photos. Wide open country side with great sweeping corners. I had never used earplugs till this trip and it really impressed me how much it changes the ride. Feels magical to be riding though cold air with almost no noise.
The XT's rang their guts out to keep up with the 650's
Stopping at Casino for lunch then heading up for the famous Lions Road.
Loads of old bridge crossing with fresh water running though.
At one of the lookouts.
Coming out of the border rangers
Butts hurting we booked it home from here. All had fun, super fun 2 days. Was the perfect bike riding weather with clear blue skys. Can't wait to go further into NSW.
|04-24-2013, 01:25 AM||#3|
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
love those old timber bridges ...when they rattle of a song for ya...
.. I fixt it...my way....gjr
OK OK....it might be 98% fat free...but I wana know how much fat's in the other 2%....gjr
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|