User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
DOGSROOT OP
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 616
Abolish Speed Limits Now!!!

I was kinda surprised to see this concept being championed by a police commissioner:

"I would abolish speed limits on motorways and other major roads - We ought to drive to road conditions rather than set limits. The problem is that there are so many signs drivers get mesmerised by them. If we are going to do anything about speed and villagers we ought to take down all the signs and say all villages are 30mph and you drive on roads like they do in Germany and Italy, as road conditions say."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ice-chief.html

I'm all for it.

What about you FFs?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
I was kinda surprised to see this concept being championed by a police commissioner:

"I would abolish speed limits on motorways and other major roads - We ought to drive to road conditions rather than set limits. The problem is that there are so many signs drivers get mesmerised by them. If we are going to do anything about speed and villagers we ought to take down all the signs and say all villages are 30mph and you drive on roads like they do in Germany and Italy, as road conditions say."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ice-chief.html

I'm all for it.

What about you FFs?

YES YES YES.

Not only would it make commuting more amusing. It would improve the species. 170 million barely educated US drivers alone, I believe the term is disruptive adaptation...and I live in New Jersey, you haven't SEEN signs till you drive across Jesery. For real, they have signs on some lights that say "Wait for green light" I shit you not.

You never know if you are allowed to make a right turn on red
and making a left is a pot shot that can be anywhere from a a half a block to a half a mile from the turn you actually want to make.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 187
A number of states used to have no speed limit. After the federal 55 was repealed, I know Montana tried going back to no limit for a while. They would just tag you if it was determined that you were going too fast for conditions. But, after a few years, they reinstated limits again.

I don't know all the reasons, but I think Americans have too little common sense, and too much self-absorption for that these days-at least if you want people to live through it. Too bad, because it is a reasonable concept.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Not sure how I feel about it. Most people would probably continue to drive at around 70-90MPH on major interstates, just like they already do, but certain idiots would probably treat it like the autobahn and drive as fast as they could which would put everyone else at risk.

Oh wait...that already happens. Explain to me what exactly this will change?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
drrod1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Not sure how I feel about it. Most people would probably continue to drive at around 70-90MPH on major interstates, just like they already do, but certain idiots would probably treat it like the autobahn and drive as fast as they could which would put everyone else at risk.

Well lets see:
Police could concentrate on dealing with tailgaters, texters, drunks, failing to signal, failing tokeep right except to pass, too slow for conditions, poor vehicle condition, undo care and attention, talking on cell phone, driving too fast for conditions, actually concentrating on "bad guys" etc, etc, etc., instead of sitting in the fishing holes and handing out speeding tickets to fill the jurisdictions coffers. I would bet that the revenue stream would not decrease that much and the roads would be safer and traffic flow smoother. I am having trouble seeing the downside.
Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:

Police departments will have to find new ways to fund themselves?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Never happen, Speeding tickets in the US are to big a source of income to the states and towns.....
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
daveinva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
I admit, I'm a huge evangelist for the great book Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt. While he doesn't touch on this issue directly, he spends plenty of time talking how road design influences safety far more than arbitrary speed limits and signage.

Some of his more interesting examples include Dutch and German experiments with no-sign roundabouts and streets with no sidewalks. Rather than being exercises in chaos as one would expect, these road designs instead force drivers to pay attention, and as a consequence, drive more safely. Likewise, traffic ends up moving faster than it previously did.

Honestly, the only downside with no speed limit roads is that driver training in the U.S. remains one-and-done. Pass a dinky road test at 16 and you enjoy the right to be an awful driver for the next 60++ years. I'd support some sort of refresher training and testing in exchange for going to autobahn rules here in America, that'd be a fair trade IMO.

Alas... won't happen. Certainly not in any of the nanny states here.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:

Exactly my observation.

--Bill
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
What you are failing to consider...

What you are failing to consider is that getting a license in the US is nothing more than a way to register voters. Due to the politicians 'need' to be reelected they will only make getting a license easier and easier. ( refer to the motor-voter debacle )

Outside of that, I say that getting a license should be hard and expensive to get and it should be able to be revoked. Additionally, it should require a competency test every few years to renew.

Removing speed limits wouldn't work until you penalize people for hanging out in the left lane putting on makeup and talking on cell phones.

My $.02
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
I admit, I'm a huge evangelist for the great book Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt. While he doesn't touch on this issue directly, he spends plenty of time talking how road design influences safety far more than arbitrary speed limits and signage.

Some of his more interesting examples include Dutch and German experiments with no-sign roundabouts and streets with no sidewalks. Rather than being exercises in chaos as one would expect, these road designs instead force drivers to pay attention, and as a consequence, drive more safely. Likewise, traffic ends up moving faster than it previously did.

Honestly, the only downside with no speed limit roads is that driver training in the U.S. remains one-and-done. Pass a dinky road test at 16 and you enjoy the right to be an awful driver for the next 60++ years. I'd support some sort of refresher training and testing in exchange for going to autobahn rules here in America, that'd be a fair trade IMO.

Alas... won't happen. Certainly not in any of the nanny states here.

I would love more stringent testing/training for drivers here in the US. I would prefer to see the police focus on traffic obstructionists (left lane lurkers) rather than those wanting to drive faster).

Of course, the harder training would never work because the people who couldn't pass it would be whining about how it isn't "fair", and since "fixing unfairness" is politicians capital to buy votes, they wouldn't go for it these days. Sorry cupcake, driving is a dangerous activity requiring skill and the ability to concentrate to perform safely. Of course also the penalty for driving without a license would need to become brutally harsh to discourage it since there would be many more people just driving anyway.

I like the concept of removing speed limits in favor of conditions though. That would of course mean I'd want something marginally faster than the KLR if I were going to hit the slab.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

What you are failing to consider...

What you are failing to consider is that getting a license in the US is nothing more than a way to register voters. Due to the politicians 'need' to be reelected they will only make getting a license easier and easier. ( refer to the motor-voter debacle )

Outside of that, I say that getting a license should be hard and expensive to get and it should be able to be revoked. Additionally, it should require a competency test every few years to renew.

Removing speed limits wouldn't work until you penalize people for hanging out in the left lane putting on makeup and talking on cell phones.

My $.02
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry

Sorry for the multi-post.

My smart phone isn't all that smart.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
A number of states used to have no speed limit. After the federal 55 was repealed, I know Montana tried going back to no limit for a while. They would just tag you if it was determined that you were going too fast for conditions. But, after a few years, they reinstated limits again.

I don't know all the reasons, but I think Americans have too little common sense, and too much self-absorption for that these days-at least if you want people to live through it. Too bad, because it is a reasonable concept.
I remember reading that Montana speed limit reinstatement was at least partially caused by all Corvette, Porsche and other sport car rallies being drawn to the state from all over the continent.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
http://www.motorists.org/press/monta...safety-paradox

Quote:
The study shows the safest period on Montana’s Interstate highways was when there were no daytime speed limits or enforceable speed laws.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-448747.html

Quote:
Are streets without traffic signs conceivable? Seven cities and regions in Europe are giving it a try -- with good results.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote