User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #76
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Oddometer: 104
days ninety two, ninety three and ninety four, 4-16 to 4-18-13

we hit the road early as we had a long ride and no map. our goal was a little town called Vilcabamba close to the border of ecuador and peru. we read somewhere that it was an all dirt border crossing for about 150 miles. we rode the amazon road and didn't regret not taking the pan am. for the first few hours it was pouring down rain. but i guess that is why they call it the rain forrest right... then the road turned into an awesome twistie mess. And then we crossed the andes on what should be called the road of 100 waterfalls. it was a great ride!

we arrived pretty late and had a long ride down a dirt road with a border crossing the next morning so we stayed pretty mello.

the next morning we woke up to free breakfast and coffee then set off down the road toward peru. it was awesome. after about 20 miles it started raining and then the road turned to mud.

we even got a few water crossings

then the sun came out and the roads dried up.

we crossed the border into Peru after a little internet trouble while trying to fill out paperwork. we were in the middle of nowhere 70 miles down a dirt road so the fact they had internet at all was a miracle.

we rode another 20 miles to the town of San Ignacio and found a place to stay.

the next day we woke up early and hit the road. another 30 miles of dirt then back to asphalt. we stopped for a break and found a few butterflies.

we had no idea where we were going but figured we hadn't seen the pacific ocean since Nicaragua so we headed west. Northern peru is quite the dump. litter-ally (for you kev). there is garbage everywhere. and it looks very third world. so all day I was riding wishing I was back in ecuador where the gas is 2 dollars a gallon (6 in peru) and the food was about 3 bucks for a giant plate. and things are nice! oh well ecuador is now north and i only go south so... we rode down to the trujillo area where we found a nice beach town called haunchaco beach where we will post up for a few days and figure out where to go toward next.

johnsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #77
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
It was great seeing you at the Suzuki shop in Medellin !
Have a great ride ( how can you not?)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #78
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
It was great seeing you at the Suzuki shop in Medellin !
Have a great ride ( how can you not?)
yeah very nice to meet you. I tried to come find you guys at the shamrock but you were already out on the town. anyways keep in touch if you have any questions about anywhere I have been. enjoy the road, -alex
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #79
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Days ninety five and ninety six, 4-19 and 4-20-13

so we stayed in Huanchaco for two nights where I gorged myself on some of the best and cheapest ceveche I have ever eaten.

the next morning I slept in for once and then walked around town a bit. not much going on here but alot of surfing it seems. did a bunch of internet stuff and relaxed most of the day. then went back for more ceveche.

the next morning we woke up early to head east, over the Andies to a town called Caraz. Porkandcorn advised us that a road we wanted to take was closed so we took another route he suggested. That is after heading south down the boring old Pan Am for 100 miles.

it was a beautiful ride after that. another 100 miles of one lane road winding up to 14000 feet along steep cliffs and amazing scenery. at one point we rode for almost an hour on switchbacks and only moved about a mile closer (as the bird flies) toward our destination. at one point it got very cold and I had to stop and put my winter gloves on. I began to worry a little when the fog got so heavy I could no longer ride with my face shield closed and felt my face freezing in the "where the fuck am I" position. and then the warmth hit me as I crested the peak and began to descend down the eastern slope. once again on switchbacks down 8000 feet into Caraz. There we stopped at a few places to check prices and wound up in a hostel right by the main plaza. the people here were very friendly. we went out for chicken and rice and hit the hay.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #80
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
still incredible man!
benwiggin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #81
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Here's an old, shakey video from ecuador that I finally got to upload. I'm in Lima now so I am going to go look for new camera mounts so the video turns out a little better and less shakey, and possibly a new view position...

Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #82
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

days ninety seven and ninety eight, 4-21 and 4-22-13

so we had left the beach and just arrived in Curaz last I left off. we stayed in caraz for a full day and two nights where we did this fun stuff.

the next day we left early to head back over the Andes. we were going to just try to make it to the coast but when we got there we decided to just get a chunk of the shitty peruvian pan am out of the way and kept going all the way to lima. but did get in some of this on the way...

and here is the pan am. straight, hot, boring and very dirty. could be some beautiful desert but there is so much trash everywhere. everyone just throws their garbage on the road and it blows around everywhere.

pulled into Lima kinda late and found the Loki hostel who reluctantly let us pull our motos into the lobby. this is a big party hostel but neither one of us feel much like partying. loooooooong ride today.

johnsonal screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #83
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

days ninety nine through one hundred and two, 4-23 to 4-26-13

the next morning in Lima we went down to a honda dealership where andy found a cheap but nice, set of tires. while he was waiting to get them installed I decided to buy myself a little present. a new camel back! the one that came with my jacket was getting pretty gross and I liked that the camel back had pockets and doubled as a backpack. I met a guy in the parking lot who traded me a bottle opener keychain and a Jesus sticker for my old one.

then we set off the short ride to Huacachina. this is an cool little town outside Ica that is surrounded by sand dunes and has a real oasis style pond in the middle. something straight out of a disney flick. but very touristy. we found a cheap hostel and went and got some food.
this guy was at the hostel

At diner we met this french guy Jerome, who had the same party spirit that I was feeling, as at midnight it would be our 100th day on the road, we set out to drinking. we all got very drunk and before you knew it I sat on my camera and broke it. it's better there are no photos of this evening anyways. The next day I woke up still a bit drunk and decided (a very poor decision) that if I just had one rum and coke with breakfast i could beat the hangover that had andy by its grasps. all I remember of this day is meeting some local guys, that were about the same age as me, playing instruments on the street and being invited to join the band. I played the PVC flute, rather poorly. we drank all night and I don't remember much but I am sure I had fun. the next day was a terrible hung over death ride down the pan am of course to the town of Nazca. A few days earlier I had really wanted to see the Nazca lines but the thought of being in a plane pulling three Gs to get you tipped over enough to look out your window sounded less fun today. it was all i could do to climb the tower in the desert and look down. pretty cool. the town of Nazca, not so cool. touristy obviously. we found a nice looking hostel that we later found out had paper thin walls. neither of us got any sleep. tired and shitty we set out for a 450k ride into bone chilling 15000 feet elevations and back down to 10000 to the town of Abancay. not an awesome town but it will do for one night before heading to Cusco tomorrow to meet my friend Haley and chill out for 4 or 5 days. I'll get a new camera and have plenty of photos for you on my next post. until then...
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #84
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
good stuff, keep it coming. You might want to cut back on the booze so that you kill the liver before returning home.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #85
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Thumb

Good to see you are keeping the party alive. But becareful, I've done the hung over ride before in the heat in Montana in the summer. Climbed on my bike no shirt, no helmet, those couple hundred miles where a blur.
Then I did it again
Those are some great photos and video going over the Andes through the tunnels. Is that road only about a lane and a half wide? Can 2 cars pass each other or does one have to pull over?

Funny was just about to ask if you guys had changed rubber yet, but Andy answered ny question.

Looking forward to your future posts with your new camera.

twisted-hog screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 12:56 PM
twisted-hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #86
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
Good to see you are keeping the party alive. But becareful, I've done the hung over ride before in the heat in Montana in the summer. Climbed on my bike no shirt, no helmet, those couple hundred miles where a blur.
Then I did it again
Those are some great photos and video going over the Andes through the tunnels. Is that road only about a lane and a half wide? Can 2 cars pass each other or does one have to pull over?

Funny was just about to ask if you guys had changed rubber yet, but Andy answered ny question.

Looking forward to your future posts with your new camera.
Yeah hung over riding is never any fun. And in my opinion can be just as dangerous as drunk riding, which I NEVER do. The tunnels in the canon del pato are for strictly one vehicle. I came across two cars in a standoff in one of the tunnels and neither one would budge. kinda funny! There are spots on the road where one car can pull off to let another by but not much room between the two. I picked up some Metzelers in Medellin but andy changed his once in Baja and then in Lima. My tires had steel belts showing by the time I got to Medellin and his were close in Lima. Thanks for the post, always great to have some encouragement!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #87
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Great stuff
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #88
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Been having fun in Cusco. Here's a little teaser.

More to come!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #89
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Ah........I see you are headed for TP for your bungholio at Lake Titicaca.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ae...-from-dirttron
twisted-hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #90
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

days one hundred and three through one hundred and ten, 4-27 to 5-3-13

So I arrived in Cusco and met up with my friend from back in Ashland who has been living here for a few years. After the ride from Abancay I was a little hungry and had some errands I had to run. So we jumped in a cab and headed down to the Plaza de Armas for some food and errands. one thing on my list was tickets to Machu Picchu as I heard they sell out. nowhere to be found. so back to Hayleys appartment to do some research. after reserving my tickets online we set out for dinner and a drink joined now by Hayleys boyfrind, Santi and her roomate Andrea. well one drink turned into many and soon we were all at some dance club taking shots of Pisco and making asses of ourselves.

good times. the next day was kinda a lazy day but I did eat some good food and get our tickets to the ruins. now train tickets to Machu Picchu are about 100 bucks but with a little research and more help from PORKANDCORN, fritz, we found a way to ride around the back side of machu picchu and hike 6 miles down some train tracks to Aguas Caliente right next to the ruins. So overall a hungover day but also a productive one. the next day we met up with stephi and nina, the german girls we met on the boat. I love these girls they are so much fun!

we went and got some food and then out for ONE drink as we had to ride to hydroelectrica in the morning, about 160 miles, and then hike 6 miles into town. well once again one drink turned into many and we ended the night playing a game I like to call drunk battleship, where everyone said a number and letter that correlates to a part of the cocktail menu and then has to drink the corresponding beverage. The next day didn't start out fun. I woke up at 6 and drug myself down to my motorcycle after coffee and fruit at Santis house. after a bit of riding I started feeling better. we stopped by an awesome salt mine before riding the Amazing road around to Santa Theresa.

After Santa Theresa the road turned to dirt and mud and got really fun!(see above clip). we dropped off our bikes at a guys house for the night and started hiking toward Aguas Caliente.

the next day we went to Machu Picchu.

beautiful place! we hiked back into Hydroelectrica to pick up our bikes and headed back toward Cusco. on the way back we made a detour to a Cuy (guinea pig) festival.

guinea pig is a delacacy in peru and we figured what better place to try it than a festival for it. bad idea. all drunken locals in a small town eyeballing the white folk. they were nice enough but a little pushy on the drinking. I mean talk about the pot calling the kettle black but it was a little uncomfortable. they were getting a little mad every time I said "no I have to ride my motorcycle" so I ate a little cuy, drank as little as I could, and got the fuck out. I went back to Hayley's house for the night. the next day we set off toward Boliva as we had stayed long enough and had to get back on the road. we ended up in a town called Puno, shithole, on Lake Titicaca. then today set off toward La Paz. border crossing was easy but costs Americans, and only Americans $135. the town right after the border is called Copacabana and is MUCH nicer than Puno. wish I would have woke up a little earlier and rode to here last night. anyways made it to La Paz, found a fairly shitty hostel that hayley recomended,(thanks hayley) and grabbed a beer and am writing this post. Death road tomorrow! more to come....