VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 ADVenture Addict

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda fond if my caribou case myself. They are side opening, but a cable stops the lid from flopping open. I stack everything in the cases lid, then shut it, and when it opens usually strays put. I dont have to pull everything out if I have a lot in there if I need an item on the bottom.

"4-wheels move the body, 2-wheels move the soul"
  2. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    I used Pelicans on my FZ6 and generally liked them but no matter how nicely you put stuff in there it would all slide around and get "mushed" to the bottom. No big deal but it usually required me to dismount the case to close it again without getting stuff caught between the lid and the case body.
  3. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bottom line: looking for feedback on a dealer's asking price, and what you all think my target should be.

'09 WeeStrom, no ABS. 9800 miles, excellent condition. It looks like it has never been off pavement. Tires look to be fairly fresh, Jesse panniers, Givi top case, AdventureMoto bash plate, Givi engine guards. Runs great, feels solid. Talking with the dealer, they said it was an older husband and wife who had nearly identical Wee Stroms, same mileage, and traded them both in on a Scrambler and a Bonneville.

Dealer is asking $6850. NADA says average retail is $6486. What do you think?

Here's the actual bike. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
  4. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Times when I find a bike that already has all or a lot of the Farkles I'd add myself, I'm usually willing to spring a few extra bucks cause I know I'd be spending more than that to put the Farkles on myself. Not to mention the time I'd spend doing so on top of that.
  5. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    That's very true, and that thought has already crossed my mind. About the only things I'd add to this one are a different windscreen (maybe...need to play with the adjustment on it), and heated grips. Everything that's there is something I would have added anyway in one form or another.
  6. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For $400 over NADA, you're getting better than $1400 in accessories. If the bike is in excellent condition, it's a steal of a deal IMHO.
  7. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an OK price if those are all the farkles you want, that setup is tedious (showing average price is $6K in my hood and NADA tends to be high IMHO). If they aren't, then I'd move on as there is a glut of pre-2012 650's out there on the cheap, at least in NY. 9.8K...30K, not much difference if basic maintenance was performed, but can shave a pretty penny off the asking price :evil
  8. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 ADVenture Addict

Oddometer:
    You can get a better deal. Just have patience. Or talk him down however you see fut. My .02

"4-wheels move the body, 2-wheels move the soul"
  9. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Around here, I don't see them used very often. The listings I've seen lately seem like the price is in the ballpark...not a screaming bargain, but not sky high either. There's one listed a few hours away for less, but add on the stuff that's on this one, and I'd go past the asking price for this one. And I would have added almost all of the existing stuff that's on there, or a variation of it. The Jesse panniers are great...I would have likely gone with a lower-priced hard pannier, so the Jesse's are a bonus. Not as thrilled with the top box...I wouldn't have bought that particular one, but I do like top boxes for running around without the panniers.

Thanks for the input. There will be bargaining...we'll see what happens.
  10. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Feels like the bike responds well, but don't have much of a basis of comparison. I put the brace on before riding. Have ridden on road and dirt. Both smooth and predictable. Even powered sideways at low speed. Front stayed steady. The brace blends in nicely, looks factory. Very easy install.
  11. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Put some Loctite on the two bolts that connect the fairing frame to the main frame. Suzuki used thread locker on a stupid number of bolts but missed those somehow. It's a much different bike with suspension improvements. Add a better shock, stiffer fork springs with a cartridge emulator and a Scotts Steering stabilizer and it's still a lot cheaper than a GS. If you total the bike in the boonies, take the shock and stabilizer off.
  12. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride an 04 1k

I added a Fork Brace, The Scott's damper off my dirt bike and changed the Dog Bones on the Linkage to raise the Bike.

Been holding off on the suspension upgrades because of MONEY.. Really want to do the suspension but I have no complaints with how she functions now... If the suspension was reasonably priced I'd a done it by now..
  13. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:

GW, are you using a Race Tech Rear Shock? I'm interested in one and see that they are 1k...

Can you offer any feedback?

Thanks
  14. LVCJT

LVCJT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just replaced the rear spring on my dads 03 with the stiffest eboch spring for $365 parts and labor for fathers day. He is 6'8", 350 and says it has made a world of difference. I had the shock serviced, the spring replaced, and a nipple installed to recharge the gas.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
  15. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Netsuke. Nice sounding setup. Thanks for the good info.
  17. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Is this thread appropriate for 2012 Wees too? I've searched high and low and the only 2012-specific thread is a picture thread.

Rob
  18. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Reason I ask is I just put a deposit on a used 2012 DL650. It has some minor damage from being laid down, but it checked out fine and rode beautifully. Only thing I care to replace is the stock muffler if somebody has one they've upgraded and care to part with cheaply. :)

I should pick it up on or about July 13th when the rest of my money comes in.

Rob
  19. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
    Welcome and lucky you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  20. BikeMan

BikeMan smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer:
    a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure