ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #5866
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I checked out Freetown today and rode through Copicut Rd. That was hitting the edge of my comfort zone with this bike. It was a fun adventure though. Someone driving by helped me pick up the bike. I'm never doing that alone again.

Video of trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmIMRw4I58
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #5867
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Shoot...why'd you shut the camera off?

09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #5868
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Shoot...why'd you shut the camera off?

I took me a while to get the bike back up. I was setting up some pulleys but eventually someone drove by and helped me pick it up. The funny thing is the reason I fell is because I tried to stop on top of a little hump so I could check the mud puddle out. The front wheel slid out sideways in the gravel. If I kept going I would have been fine. I forgot to turn the camera back on but that spot's near the end of the road.

I wouldn't mind doing some more stuff like that if I can find some other riders in the area.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #5869
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
I took me a while to get the bike back up. I was setting up some pulleys but eventually someone drove by and helped me pick it up.
I want video of the Pulleys!

You need to figure out how to pick the bike up on your own. If not, don't venture in the woods alone. I struggle to pick up my 950 all my byself, but I can do it. this also keeps me from dropping it in the 1st place

Good luck and keep venturing just outside your comfort level. That will make you a bit better every time. and...um oh yeah, go faster! faster is better always.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #5870
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,951
Stick to the Starbucks parking lot.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #5871
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Harsh dude...
09 TE450
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #5872
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Don't pretend like you weren't thinking the same thing...

Seriously, I'm not expecting Cyril Dupris, but fuck. Just fuck.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5873
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
On that note, anyone who's interested in a beginners* tour, the Cranberry Country Big Bike Drop-O-Rama is back. Target date is May 26, probably afternoon (2ish) is your opportunity to learn some local trails and hopefully put some new experience under your belt. We only do this once a year so skip the christening, bar mitzvah or whatever you already have planned and come watch others pick up their bike.

*Ideally you should have had some experience dropping your bike already, but we'll try to chose a route that suits the group. Others will probably help you pick up your bike, provided that you're not a whiny prick. This isn't a paid event, so your only expense will be your enthusiasm.

It's a great group of guys, only a few of us are assholes. We will laugh at you when you fall, maybe even take a few pictures, but provided that you keep trying to get back on the mule, we'll probably help.

Bikes/Gear - This is bike bike friendly and there will be some 950's and maybe a supertanker or two. Anything from a 230 to a 1200 are welcome. Knobbies are highly recommended, but not critical if you can backfill with skills. Feel free to ask about it in here if you're not sure.

Ladies - I think Mrs. Mad will be joining too and I'm sure she'd love to see a few other more evolved types out there. If you PM me I'll put you in touch with her directly.

I would like a headcount and some idea on skill level, so post here or PM me if you're interested or have questions.

For all of the rest of you leathery types, I could really use some help. We've had some fun with this the last two years. Everyone starts somewhere, so think of this as a way to give back a little to the people who helped you get started.

So, who's in?

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #5874
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Tri-state enduro is that day...fml.
Despite being an asshole, I've always enjoyed this. As a "sweeper" a slut, whatever. I'll obviously stay tuned in.

Edit: also, chewy's buddy is selling a blue dr650 for pretty short $. Pm and I'll redirect.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #5875
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
On that note, anyone who's interested in a beginners* tour, the Cranberry Country Big Bike Drop-O-Rama is back. Target date is May 26, probably afternoon (2ish) is your opportunity to learn some local trails and hopefully put some new experience under your belt. We only do this once a year so skip the christening, bar mitzvah or whatever you already have planned and come watch others pick up their bike.

*Ideally you should have had some experience dropping your bike already, but we'll try to chose a route that suits the group. Others will probably help you pick up your bike, provided that you're not a whiny prick. This isn't a paid event, so your only expense will be your enthusiasm.

It's a great group of guys, only a few of us are assholes. We will laugh at you when you fall, maybe even take a few pictures, but provided that you keep trying to get back on the mule, we'll probably help.

Bikes/Gear - This is bike bike friendly and there will be some 950's and maybe a supertanker or two. Anything from a 230 to a 1200 are welcome. Knobbies are highly recommended, but not critical if you can backfill with skills. Feel free to ask about it in here if you're not sure.

Ladies - I think Mrs. Mad will be joining too and I'm sure she'd love to see a few other more evolved types out there. If you PM me I'll put you in touch with her directly.

I would like a headcount and some idea on skill level, so post here or PM me if you're interested or have questions.

For all of the rest of you leathery types, I could really use some help. We've had some fun with this the last two years. Everyone starts somewhere, so think of this as a way to give back a little to the people who helped you get started.

So, who's in?

In. Not sure if I can convince Chace to go, her new GS is scratch free and I fear she's a bit too committed to trying to keep it that way.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #5876
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Heh, well other than a few graded roads this is my first time riding a motorcycle on dirt so it feels like progress to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #5877
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
Heh, well other than a few graded roads this is my first time riding a motorcycle on dirt so it feels like progress to me.
Welcome to the club. As your confidence grows you'll be amazed at how much fun non-pavement riding can be.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #5878
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Just out of curiosity, is anyone interested in a pre-ride training day? I know there are a few people in here that have either no or almost no dirt experience but might be hesitant to join the Cranberry tour.

If we set up 1/2 day basic intro class, who would be interested?

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #5879
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

I will not be able to participate
09 TE450
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #5880
Saltbox
WTF is this?

Oddometer: 1,322
If you guys are gonna pickup my bike then I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm itching to get off road again and need some easy trails.
Saltbox is offline   Reply With Quote