User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #2761
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Hey Zack,

I just sent you guys an email via your web site regarding a wheel for my Sporty project. Ideally I would love to have you cut a set of spokes for it and to lace/true the wheel myself but I am also open to having you do the lace/true for me depending upon cost. Obviously you get what you pay for and having seen the work you've done I am convinced that I can't go wrong either way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

David in FL

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #2762
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
price quote for trick spokes fro HD sporster project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Hey Zack,

I just sent you guys an email via your web site regarding a wheel for my Sporty project. Ideally I would love to have you cut a set of spokes for it and to lace/true the wheel myself but I am also open to having you do the lace/true for me depending upon cost. Obviously you get what you pay for and having seen the work you've done I am convinced that I can't go wrong either way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
David in FL
sorry for the delay,,the guys are up to their ears,,i just got back so let me just give you a ball park $$$ bunch of numbers ,,since i don't have the specifics..

1,,custom spoke kits range from $100-135 in ss n ss depending on size

2,,same thing using Zartan nipples saves ya circa $20/set

3,,custom lace n true = $100,,whereas Superlace n true = $111 with one year warranty

hope that helps

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #2763
flyingscotsmac
Mac

Oddometer: 7
Hi Woody. Long story, quick question please. A local shop scraped my F800GS front wheel when installing a new tire. They de-laced the wheel and sent it out to be powder coated. Wheel (Behr) returned with no direction indicator visible so I can't tell if it was re-laced correctly in the proper direction. Does it matter or is it purely a function of the hub/rotor assy rotation?

Thanks for your help!

Mac
flyingscotsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #2764
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

BMW F800GS rim's.

HI Mac,

The rims do have a certain way to go because the nipples are punched in a certain way to make sure they align properly. It's real minimal, but can cause the nipples to bind on the spokes if it's not laced correctly.

The only way to tell is by the arrow, and if you can see the nipple holes are staggered correctly with the hub side you are lacing it with.

Let us know if you have pics to see if we can help out.

thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsmac View Post
Hi Woody. Long story, quick question please. A local shop scraped my F800GS front wheel when installing a new tire. They de-laced the wheel and sent it out to be powder coated. Wheel (Behr) returned with no direction indicator visible so I can't tell if it was re-laced correctly in the proper direction. Does it matter or is it purely a function of the hub/rotor assy rotation?

Thanks for your help!

Mac
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #2765
flyingscotsmac
Mac

Oddometer: 7
Thanks Zach. I took a closer look and see what you mean about the nipples. Fortunately, it looks as if they were laced in the correct orientation so I think I'm good to go.
flyingscotsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #2766
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Hey Woody's,
My GSA front wheel is staying over with you guys for a few days. You wouldn't believe how hard I hit the rock that caused the bend. Those are some tough wheels. Thanks, Jim
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #2767
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Great!!

Glad we can help, let us know if you have any other questions.

thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsmac View Post
Thanks Zach. I took a closer look and see what you mean about the nipples. Fortunately, it looks as if they were laced in the correct orientation so I think I'm good to go.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #2768
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Bent front wheel!!

Bummer, just glad you came out better than the wheel did,

We'll contact you when we receive your wheel, Let us know if you have any questions.

thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Hey Woody's,
My GSA front wheel is staying over with you guys for a few days. You wouldn't believe how hard I hit the rock that caused the bend. Those are some tough wheels. Thanks, Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #2769
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
sorry for the delay,,the guys are up to their ears,,i just got back so let me just give you a ball park $$$ bunch of numbers ,,since i don't have the specifics..

1,,custom spoke kits range from $100-135 in ss n ss depending on size

2,,same thing using Zartan nipples saves ya circa $20/set

3,,custom lace n true = $100,,whereas Superlace n true = $111 with one year warranty

hope that helps

woody

It does indeed help. I will get my hub and hoop out to you asap. For 11 buckaroos I think I will take that 1 year warranty.

Thank you Woody and Zach.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2770
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
X-challenge - front wheel

Hello from distant part of Europe!

I want to instal Excel rim on OEM front hub of my BMW X-challenge, and I would really appriciate if you could help me to clear some things, since I am to far to use your services.

I want to use Excel IC_408 rim, used on KTM's, is that a good match?

Can I use OEM spokes and nipples, or should I look for something else (and what else)?

Thank you and keep up the great work!
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #2771
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Rims for G650 X-Challenge

The X-Challenge is a bit of an odd-ball set-up on the front as the nipple holes are only 0.250"(really small) and there is no Excel 21x1.60" rim with that small a nipple hole. Some of the stock Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki wheels have 0.280" nipple holes(there are only a couple aftermarket, the better quality double signature Excels that have as small as 0.300" nipples holes, most come with 0.320" nipple holes), so you may be able to find a nipple with 0.280" body diameter and 3.5mm gauge to fit the stock 3.5mm gauge spokes. There are no aftermarket spoke kits that I know for the G650 X-Challenge.

You may be able to order some in Europe from Alpina(Italy) or Bulldog/Central Wheel(UK)(these companies may also be able to custom drill the rim for your stock spokes and nipples and lace pattern), but likely would be special order, as this is an uncommon project since G650 was only around for a few years.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Hello from distant part of Europe!

I want to instal Excel rim on OEM front hub of my BMW X-challenge, and I would really appriciate if you could help me to clear some things, since I am to far to use your services.

I want to use Excel IC_408 rim, used on KTM's, is that a good match?

Can I use OEM spokes and nipples, or should I look for something else (and what else)?

Thank you and keep up the great work!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #2772
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

NEW!!! SUPERLITE 21/17 or 19/17 wire Wheels for Liquid Cooled 2013 BMW R12GS/GSA

Woody's Superlite Hubs & Superlaced in stock sizes or with 21" Front

A huge Thanks to Pat, who dropped off his bike this week to allow us to get all measurements and figure it out.

Big Ups to Zach for figuring it out 21'' front and pulling it together with the assistance of Jerod who laced and trued the rear

Woody just came back from the before n after test rides with the biggest grin on his face

Photos below, info and explanations by Woody to follow.

Folks,,this bike is such an iprovement over EVERYTHING BMW hsa ever put out in the GS series,,its is as big a leap over the R1200 GS as that bike was over all Previous GS seies..and i mean ALL

it has so many nifty features,,,and seat in pants improvements in POWER!!! and Handling..it simply ROCKS in that department

i'll post more on that later...can i gain more versatility especially off road like i did with my previous 21'' Superlite/Superlaced set ups????
with Zach n Jerods assistance we laced up a set of 21/17 wheel set sets..

NOTE: wit 90/90 x21 front and 150/70x17 rear,,the bike made it up n down the centerstand wit plenty of room to swap tires. as you'll see rear yire clearanc is same as original ,,,the front ate up some clearance BUT will easily accept a higher fender with a slight brake line re-location kit...

here's my gang for an ATTABOY/GAL shotthat's Jerod who did the rear,,Jil who coordinated the process and Zach on the front...yours truly will figure out /design the appropriate interface for my Superlit hubs and TCS/ABS system disc and how/where to mount it on my hubs,,gotta get moving ..Monday and the the promised return date are rolling up fast....

NOTE: from the git go this machine will make ya want to trade in any prvious GS you've owned....i could live with it as is AND although PLANTED and SUPPLE a 19'' front still has the feeling of riding over marbles in the dirt....would a 21 with knobbies be a performance addition...
after testing...YES in the dirt and no on the slab....the 19/17 combo with street threads simply works better than ever...the 21/17 begs for a stering damper...it tracks straight and true AND feels skittish,,,the TKC80s droned and felt skittish..wheras my R1200GS with same essential combo has a Rallye-raid 3'' rise multi dimensional/adjustabel dampener on it...and THAT has brought on major confidence inspired riding...like being on a rail....

thats it folks ,,pass the word....
WOODY

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 03:09 AM
Old 05-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #2773
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Hey Woody's,
Quote:
Bummer, just glad you came out better than the wheel did,

We'll contact you when we receive your wheel, Let us know if you have any questions.

thanks zach
Got my wheel back with some mysterious stuff written on a piece of masking tape. The guys at the local shop were impressed. Thanks.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #2774
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thank you Chris!

I got some strange looking Excel rim, with "takasago N 21X1.60 222 JAPAN 310" markings inprinted in the rim and "Excel" sticker on side walls of the rim. I dont know what this rim is for, since rims for KTM's are labeled as IC_408, not 310, and on the net I cant find anything related to this markings.

Anyway, we succeded in making the wheel with this rim, OEM spokes and nipples and OEM hub. Like you wrote, nipples are a bit small for holes on the rim. We will see how will it perform until I dont get proper nipples.

Do you have nipples+spokes set that I could use to make wheel with this rim I got and OEM hub?

Best regards!

Quote:
The X-Challenge is a bit of an odd-ball set-up on the front as the nipple holes are only 0.250"(really small) and there is no Excel 21x1.60" rim with that small a nipple hole. Some of the stock Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki wheels have 0.280" nipple holes(there are only a couple aftermarket, the better quality double signature Excels that have as small as 0.300" nipples holes, most come with 0.320" nipple holes), so you may be able to find a nipple with 0.280" body diameter and 3.5mm gauge to fit the stock 3.5mm gauge spokes. There are no aftermarket spoke kits that I know for the G650 X-Challenge.

You may be able to order some in Europe from Alpina(Italy) or Bulldog/Central Wheel(UK)(these companies may also be able to custom drill the rim for your stock spokes and nipples and lace pattern), but likely would be special order, as this is an uncommon project since G650 was only around for a few years.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #2775
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Spokes/nipples for X-Challenge

You will want to check the spoke tension often, they will be able to flex/move a lot when they holes are that much bigger than the nipple. Not sure what rim that is.

We do have oem size spoke kits, with the proper nipples for 110 ea. wheel.
Unfortunately there are no nipples available that are a bigger diameter and for the oem spokes.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Thank you Chris!

I got some strange looking Excel rim, with "takasago N 21X1.60 222 JAPAN 310" markings inprinted in the rim and "Excel" sticker on side walls of the rim. I dont know what this rim is for, since rims for KTM's are labeled as IC_408, not 310, and on the net I cant find anything related to this markings.

Anyway, we succeded in making the wheel with this rim, OEM spokes and nipples and OEM hub. Like you wrote, nipples are a bit small for holes on the rim. We will see how will it perform until I dont get proper nipples.

Do you have nipples+spokes set that I could use to make wheel with this rim I got and OEM hub?

Best regards!