User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,527
Flinders Ranges Classic VI 2013

The Flinders Ranges Classic VI 2013 was looking to be the best ever with over 100 people registered, and many thanks going to the irrepressible DRTrev/AussieTrev .

I must admit my reputation of leading adventurous riders over some fabulous terrain to get there has been somewhat tarnished in the last few years, (ol' age is finally sinking in ) after discovering the luxuries of not riding & not driving ....... I must admit I have sadly have become a changed man

That is until I get back onto the saddle of my fabulous TDM Adventurer

Our first destination was to seek out membership of the famous Quorn Schnitzel Club.

How could you go past The Outback? ...................... absolutely delicious

On arriving at our destination ...............

We were greeted by Mr Smiley

and easily recognised his digs for the weekend

Settling in with the "camp party people" .............. errr !!!! ............... I mean't those camping

First night's greet & meet was fabulous & I wondered what the rest of the world was doing ........ only for a minuscule .

First wonder of the weekend ..................

Can you imagine this ................. here's Con ...... bottle of half emptied red ..... juicy looking steak on the plate .................... side dish of......................... WTF Nurofen plus ......... with extra bottles of who knows what he said he had under his pillow Dancing with the verandah post was worth watching

Memories! ...................... those were the days of a misspent youth ..... I'm afraid I'm feeling older & older mixing with you young tigers ..... sorry Trev ...... I mean fellas

However Con miraculously survived & lived on to experience his own karma later.

Next morning a loyal few headed out on a westerly 481km loop out of Hawker I'd ridden 5 years earlier & was keen to experience again.

Unfortunately my navigational reputation was potentially in tatters after a small lack of concentration saw us heading on an unplanned road ( damn first night celebrations )

Luckily with quick aptitude I was able to redeem myself and provide my followers with an extraordinary touring experience they all comment favourably on

To help conceal my mistake I was determined to appear authoritative about the local fragile environment & called everyone together for education purposes

After that close escape I guided the troops through some more interesting tracks past Oraparinna HS hoping they would be enthralled enough to forget my error

We soon found ourselves on the top of the fabulous Stokes Hill lookout with my younger cousin

By this time lunch was calling in Wilpena Pound..

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 04:20 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Eating lunch at Wilpena Pound one couldn't help but get a sense of someone's life was not as free as he thought

After refuelling body & bike we headed in an easterly direction and yet again ............. Big Brother was still watching

What's with these non TDM related bikes ?????

Finally the troops began to arrive & we didn't accept their dust excuse either

By this time we were some 300kms into the loop & fluids were getting low, so of course .............. !

The return loop was now in site and we hightailed back to Ango Village for another nights fun & laughter

Excitement was building for the next days "Flinders Classic TT"

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 02:04 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
The start of another Great ride report Kym .
I have been looking forward to this one .

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
The start of another Great ride report Kym .
I have been looking forward to this one .

Cheers Ian
Same here Kym

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer: 430
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

" ...................................... we hightailed back to Ango Village for another nights fun & laughter "
That phrase began to haunt me at 4am, when loud thumping music was still being heard coming from the camp party people, even with the ear plugs in.

Revenge was sweet early next morning though when Domonsura backed his bike up to the entrance to their tent & rung its neck for a minute or two

Moving on .............. The Flinders Classic TT

Well! ....... it was actually .................... "Trev's Tiger" Tour

Having heard of the pleasures associated with having the "cheese & cracker carrying tortoise" on a ride,

We kept a close eye not to lose AussieOtto on his Ural

Amazing Brachina Gorge, beautiful as ever

and together with the fun one can have along the way

Doubts were beginning to set in about soggy crackers, when we saw the Tortoise attacking the water crossing at full flight

But he soon dried out.

Having the loan Tigers for the classic was a real treat for smiley Trev & together with his generosity he ensured nearly everyone got a ride.

I must admit the Triumph is rather addictive:

The TDM is like the romantic, adventurous, mature age woman where as the Tiger is the high powered, ambitious sexy female executive, potentially ruthless yet forgiving and modest.

They both have the ability to keep you on your toes and put a great big smile on your face .......... that's the bikes that is

I love 'em both in their own way

I asked Trev if he wanted the Tiger back when we reached the dirt.

"Nah! You can go for a short 5km dirt experience if you like MB", says Trev

However, unknowingly the Devil took me under his control & before I knew what had happened, I had completed the full length of the 29km Moralana Scenic Drive.

The Devil made me do it honest .................................................. ...........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sheer delight when I finally got to the end & off the Tiger ...................... that's for Trev too.

The rest of the troops had gone to Wilpena for lunch some time ahead of PBee, Trev, AussieOtto & myself, when all of a sudden PBee started slowing.

He's killed a tiger, I thought to myself

But it was a classic case (errr!! ..... Flinders Classic ) of the Hare & the Tortoise

Having ridden his Tiger much more economically, that's both him & me

Trev said he wasn't actually out of fuel ......... it was only a precaution & we believed him

After lunch Tiger Trev lead us up Stokes Hill lookout for the mandatory sexy photo shoot before heading back to Ango to prepare for the big feast that night.

The rest of us delighted in enjoying the classic scenery the Flinders Ranges has to offer.

When towards home .......................... that doesn't look good

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 05:18 AM
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,381
Great ride report & pics MB & I must tell you mate there is one less f#@*%n Euro in The Flinders since The Classic..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Report looking good so far Kym

Some nice shots of the little Tens and their big brother the TDM....
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Great ride report & pics MB & I must tell you mate there is one less f#@*%n Euro in The Flinders since The Classic..

Don't worry mate first class Veterinary Surgeons, Semler and Kipling took care of him.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Bloody lucky Sol welcome to the RSL club (Roo Surviving League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post
Report looking good so far Kym Some nice shots of the little Tens and their big brother the TDM....
Thanks DM, they keep finding their way into the camera lens for some reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Don't worry mate first class Veterinary Surgeons, Semler and Kipling took care of him.
Lucky you were only a stones throw away at the time.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

With that huge localized dump of rain near where we were planning to go, a sense of urgency rose & we decided to hightail it back to camp ASAP

However within 5kms of Blinman we were confronted with a 2 metre high wall of raging torrent across the road

The lads heading home from the other side of Blinman were within 3kms of the thirst quenching Blinman Hotel, but were forced to wait over 3 hours for the raging torrent to subside.

It was then, PBee formed a Plan

Lets retrace our tracks to either Plan (A) Brachina Gorge, if that is impassable; Plan (B) Moralana Scenic Drive and if that is also impassable; Plan(C) Hawker to get back onto the black top & up to Parachilna, ring Dave at the village to check Parachilna Gorge is still open & back home for a well earned beer or two.

If all were blocked .......... who's got the biggest credit card limit to drown our sorrows at missing Trev's fabulous Saturday night Presentation Awards cookup at camp.

and so we became Storm Racers

However as all good plans go, the inevitable happened

"Hey guys" called Bernie ............... "I don't think I have enough fuel to get home"

"No worries we'll get fuel at Parachilna" says a confident PBee and all were happy in the land of panic

As one good deed deserves another, PBee stepped forward & offered his (read AussieOtto's) fuel Stewy also stepped up & offered to use his shiny bright new siphoning hose, so all was good in the land of hope, although time was ticking by.

We reached the still dusty Brachina Gorge, took a vote & decided to go for it & we succeeded in reaching the blacktop

Back at camp however, we were later told a few other riders tried to go through the Brachina Gorge some 30minutes behind us & were confronted with a raging torrent.

Mind you, I was continually looking over my shoulder as I know how fast these flash flood rise.

Successfully reaching Parachilna in the rain, relief was at hand

PBee rang Dave at the village and was told ............... "you pussies get back here, the gorge is fine"

Refuelling was at hand or so we thought, only to be told we don't sell fuel anymore,

So Bernie tucked under the somewhat miniscule DR fairing trying to save as much fuel as possible & feathered ie opened it up in frustration .............. in a make it or break it attitude, the 15 kms back to Angorichina Village

It wouldn't be long before the Parachilna Gorge was going to get interesting though.

and we finally relaxed with our pre-dinner drinks in hand

Let the evening festivities begin

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 01:09 AM
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 420
Great riding + scenery!

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Thanks fellas..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
PBee

Oddometer: 8,553
What a story teller.

Makes me feel like I was there.............

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Makes me feel like I was there.............
If it wasn't for you, we would still be there