Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
The Beez OP
one for the road

Oddometer: 4
installing Garmin 660 on a F800GS

Fellow inmates of ADVrider,

I made the plunge and got a new GPS, but I'm wondering how or what the preferred installation method is. The dealer here in VT (Lester) says it should only be hooked up through the Canbus system on the bike. Friends have said straight to the battery. I seem to have aslo come across those that go into the powerlet outlet...?

I've got the Touretech locking mount that I think I am going to mount via a ram system unless convinced otherwise.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your help and sarcasm in my Noobishness!

Cheers,
Chad
The Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Hi Chad,

The F800GS has a special plug near the battery which is designed for connection to the GPS. All you need to do is get the male connector (with three wires on it) from your dealer.

BMW also has a special mounting bracket which fits the handlebar clamp and the GPS goes on top of that. The four bolts holding the clamp (the stock bolts) need to be replaced with special ones which have a threaded hole on top of the bolt (so that the bracket can be attached) and that part of the deal was surprisingly expensive... something like $10 EACH (x4). But the installation is really quite easy and it's all neat and tidy.

I would NOT connect the GPS directly to the battery as it's very likely that from time to time you'd forget to turn the GPS off and even though it takes very little power, it could deplete your battery. The existing connection looses power about 30-60 seconds after you turn off the ignition.

What I and many others feel is a better solution though is to install a fuse panel over a relay (there are many brands... all good, such as Centech AP-2, Eastern Beaver, FuzeBlock, etc.) which then allows you to add all kinds of electrical goodies without affecting the Canbus system. On my F800GS I used the FuzeBlock rebranded and sold by Twisted Throttle and it works very well, giving 6 connection points. I have my GPS (Garmin Zumo 660), Denali D2D LED lights, additional accessory power outlet, rear Hyperlite flashing brake and running lights and Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn all connected to it and have one remaining spot for future stuff.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beez View Post
Fellow inmates of ADVrider,

I made the plunge and got a new GPS, but I'm wondering how or what the preferred installation method is. The dealer here in VT (Lester) says it should only be hooked up through the Canbus system on the bike. Friends have said straight to the battery. I seem to have aslo come across those that go into the powerlet outlet...?

I've got the Touretech locking mount that I think I am going to mount via a ram system unless convinced otherwise.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your help and sarcasm in my Noobishness!

Cheers,
Chad
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a database error when I posted the above reply and even after a couple of hours the message count in this thread still showed only 0 (even though my reply WAS visible).

Hoping that this additional reply will set it straight.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
The Beez OP
one for the road

Oddometer: 4
Mtl_Biker,

Thats super helpful, thanks! The BMW dealer showed me the male plug you talked about, with three yellow wires. Where do they attach to the GPS? I was hoping to be able to charge an Iphone while off road so the fuse panel in exactly the solution I was looking for. How is the that to install? I imagine there is a thread or topic on here about the installation?

Cheers!
The Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Hoping that this additional reply will set it straight.
No errors in your thread.

Mtl Biker replied as well. He has some great info. You just have to decide whether you want to wire it direct, or through the Canbus.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

I think you said you have a Zumo 660? If you have the mounting kit with the wiring harness, you will have two wires that you use to connect. As far as installation instructions go, if you can't find any here, you'll certainly find them on f800riders.org. It's really quite easy.

I'm very much in favor of using a fuse panel for the GPS and anything else. And there are plenty of threads around about that. I've got mine installed under the battery cover at the closest edge to the rider. By eye I was sure there wasn't enough room, but there in fact is.

And while you're at the installation, think about putting in a second accessory outlet - I put mine on the right, opposite the original one - which I use (through the fuse panel) with a 20 amp fuse. I use that for my heated jacket and gloves and for my air compressor when needed.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beez View Post
Mtl_Biker,

Thats super helpful, thanks! The BMW dealer showed me the male plug you talked about, with three yellow wires. Where do they attach to the GPS? I was hoping to be able to charge an Iphone while off road so the fuse panel in exactly the solution I was looking for. How is the that to install? I imagine there is a thread or topic on here about the installation?

Cheers!