Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #76
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I've got to give credit, where credit is due: Meet, my neighbor, and good friend. By a random stroke of luck, he had been walking his dog one evening, saw the myriad of bikes in the driveway, and stopped in to chat. Eventually, his stories of cross country trips really got me to thinking. He mentioned he had nearly racked up 1,000,000 miles in his days. Anyone that can throw a Goldwing down the road, and laugh about it is a true rider in my book!

So last night I got a little anxious, and at about 10:30 decided to wheel the bike in, and off the tires came. The old MX rubber just wasn't going to make it to TN. I had attempted a few fully-loaded stoppies and noticed that it had started to tear knobs off the front tire.

This is probably the last stoppie this bike will see for the entire trip.

Then out came the tool kit. These plastic tubes are fantastic for storage. Believe it or not, two of them hold my entire tool kit to work on the bike, perform everything from valve adjustments, to wire repairs, and carb work. I could even re-lace a wheel, or replace a headgasket with what I have stuffed in there. This kit was built the only practical way I could think of. Once I decided I was going to go on this trip, I started converting the bike from supermoto. Every time I used a tool, it went into a cardboard box. Then the next time I worked on the bike, I only used tools from the box. If I got to the point where I was stuck, I knew that I needed to add whichever tool was missing to my kit.

Swapped over the big brake kit from the supermoto wheels. Hopefully I don't smash it off.

Dual action pump. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get a tire to seat the beads and reach 25psi.

I'm a firm believer in NOT tightening the valve stem nuts against the rim, and tighten then against the cap instead. The reason being, is that the event the tube spins (especially on the rear), and you have the nut tightened against the rim it can pull the stem right out of the tube. Good luck patching that.

Another trick from my days wrenching for an MX team, I like to safety wire my masterlink clips. If you do it correctly, it will never contact the sprocket.

Since I'm on a budget, I fabbed my own subframe for the racks a while back. Seems to be holding up okay. The whole thing does have quite the flex, but it appears to be the aluminum factory subframe itself twisting. Only time will tell...

After the tires were on, I decided to get to the fork seal. This is a TUSK brand seal with about 250 miles on it. Not good.... I have a feeling this won't be the last time I have an issue with fork seals.

I wear baggy style RevIt pants, and wrapped the exhaust a little while ago to try and keep it from eating my pants.

Just about finished

You Mainer's will be able to appreciate this:
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #77
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,031
The stock XR rims have a rubber " dust cover" on the valve stems and an oval hole in the rim. No nuts holding the stem! If the tube moves and the stem starts to lean, time for a closer check!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #78
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Another trick from my days wrenching for an MX team, I like to safety wire my masterlink clips. If you do it correctly, it will never contact the sprocket.
I've herd of safety wire for the master link and tried it but must have done it wrong because after a ride it was gone. How would one do it correctly?

I wonder how many BRP owners are following your RR because of the bike or your stones to take such a huge step....

Good luck & safe travels. if you make it all the way to the great white north pm me for a place to stay and garage to work in.

Cheers
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #79
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD! View Post
I sure as hell hope so Squishy!
I know the bike could do it! Was hinting at the whole, drop everything & live on the bike lifestyle!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #80
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
This looks good. In!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #81
MufflerBearings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post

I wonder how many BRP owners are following your RR because of the bike or your stones to take such a huge step....

I'm in on both counts. Far as I can tell, you're doing it right.
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #82
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,015
Good on ya Chris, best of luck to you. I've done similar 'life on the road trips', in the US (hitched 10k mls for 6 months) & NZ (lived in a camper van traveling the country, loaded with Triumph chopper & mtnbike, guitar & guns), it's probably the most peaceful & beautiful lifestyle a person can live. You think you will never resort to the rat race of main stream life again...enjoy your new life to the absolute fullest...while it lasts!!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #83
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
The stock XR rims have a rubber " dust cover" on the valve stems and an oval hole in the rim. No nuts holding the stem! If the tube moves and the stem starts to lean, time for a closer check!
Mine are the stock wheels, but being that the bike is 12 years old, I'm sure they aren't the stock tubes. Someones monkied around with them a time or 7 I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
We're starting the TAT around that time so maybe see you on the trail!
If you see some a-hole out there on an XRR with an ugly helmet, track him down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
In and looking forward to hearing where you end up and how.

If you want to do a blog I can hook you up.
Thank you, Sir! I would have no idea where to begin with such a thing, are they difficult to update? I will be running on the TAT with a netbook, so my computer abilities will be quite limited.

I have GoPros but I have a feeling with such limited computer power that I won't even be able to upload raw footage. Perhaps, we'll see.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #84
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,469
Too Bad About the Breakup, But....

An aviator friend sent this -

Substitute "Adventure Rider" for "pilot" and it still sounds about right. Oh, and don't ever look back.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 07:03 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #85
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lets try something interesting.

I don't have anywhere to be for a few weeks, yet I'm leaving Monday. If this is lame and doesn't work out, then I'll give it up. Everyone wants to come along for the ride, thought it might be fun to kick off the trip by letting you guys drive!

ADV, choose my destination!

Here are the rules:
- I'm in Houston, Texas, currently, so it should be a days ride from here. I don't want to slab it, so keep that in mind in terms of distance.
- Destination must be roughly north-east of here (Deals Gap is where I'd like to end up by the weekend). A little more north, or a little more east is fine.
- Not looking to stay in the Hilton, so should be somewhere I can find inexpensive, or free camping.
-No pee-pee sword fighting skin bars, you whackos.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #86
jackflash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post

Substitute "Adventure Rider" for "pilot" and it still sounds about right. Oh, and don't ever look back.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #87
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer: 30
I'm onboard and looking forward to following this adventure.
Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #88
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Lets try something interesting.

I don't have anywhere to be for a few weeks, yet I'm leaving Monday. If this is lame and doesn't work out, then I'll give it up. Everyone wants to come along for the ride, thought it might be fun to kick off the trip by letting you guys drive!

ADV, choose my destination!

Here are the rules:
- I'm in Houston, Texas, currently, so it should be a days ride from here. I don't want to slab it, so keep that in mind in terms of distance.
- Destination must be roughly north-east of here (Deals Gap is where I'd like to end up by the weekend). A little more north, or a little more east is fine.
- Not looking to stay in the Hilton, so should be somewhere I can find inexpensive, or free camping.
-No pee-pee sword fighting skin bars, you whackos.
I'd suggest Northwest Arkansas, but it's snowing here at the moment. In May. Unfriggin' cool.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #89
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,031
The SLAP rally is by Oark AR in 1-1/2 weeks. Look at upcoming rally thread. I will take my XR650R down on the trailer behind the Gold Wing! Lots of riding, trails, forest roads and highway!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #90
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post

Ah.....this hits home for more than a few of us. Sustitute guide & patroller and you got me.

Enjoy the ride but ride to enjoy - with your background and lack of baggage it will be a STORY!

I'm in, and the door here in potatoland is open.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote